ThumperTalk

Buell Motorcycles is back in production with plans for adventure touring, offroad and 10 models by 2024

image.png
Buell Motorcycle 1190HCR Race Bike built in collaboration with Cipala Racing

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – February 19, 2021 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – Buell Motorcycles is back in production in America. The new Buell® Motorcycles will launch 10 performance models by the 2024 model year. The exciting models will be representative of the superbike performance and handling expected of the legendary Buell brand. Exciting times ahead for fans of American Motorcycles.

“Buell is back!” said Bill Melvin, CEO. “We are excited to bring Buell back with this awesome assortment of superbikes and performance motorcycles. We start with the fastest American production motorcycles, hand built in the USA, so that’s a nice start! We’re building out those platforms for more touring & adventure models, then we’re expanding our displacements to be competitive with other global brands. The passionate Buell Nation can grow and thrive again.”

Buell Motorcycle upcoming models will include variants for dirt, dual-sport, touring, and cruisers while expanding the line up to include medium and small displacement motors. Buell is also in the initial exploration phases for a high-performance Electric model and is open to collaboration ideas with other companies. The models currently in production are built by hand in Grand Rapids, Michigan and based on the high-performance 1190 platform, known for the innovation of Fuel in Frame, Perimeter Brake Rotor, exceptional handling, and high horsepower.

“Buell is known as the American brand for high performance, innovation, & adventure. Fast is fun again on a Buell. We will continue and expand on that,” said Melvin. “We have already launched a dirt bike with Cipala Racing that won an AMA Championship and Buell will be dominating at NHRA this year. Follow us Facebook and Instagram where we’ll showcase passionate fans, new developments, as well as racers and riders having fun on a Buell. The future will be fast and fun on a Buell.”

EBR Motorcycles acquired the Buell brand in early 2020 and began developments to bring Buell back. Buell will be present at Daytona Bike Week 2021 at J&P Cycles Destination Daytona Mega Store. Visit the Buell booth for gear, to view current models, and learn about the developments of the fast and fun American Motorcycle brand.

image.png
Buell Motorcycle Super Touring

image.png

image.png
Buell Motorcycle 1190SX Black Mamba

image.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThumperTalk said:

The exciting models will be representative of the superbike performance and handling expected of the legendary Buell brand.

When did they start doing that? laugh.gif.260fbb1282fac1ee415f2f609378b681.gif

They do look pretty good though. Hopefully the performance matches the looks.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1

I’m a self admitted Buell fanboi so I will await the relaunch with caution optimism. However, I don’t see this company rising from the grave in a continent with rapidly declining street bike sales. Erik won’t be part of the new company by the looks of it so there may be hope there as he is a great engineer but horrible businessman.

LAP at their core is a liquidation company so I am at a loss as to why they are going to try to resurrect Buell. I have a hunch this is either a hobby venture on Melvin’s part or an attempt to build the name to sell it off. Time will tell.

• Like 1

That hillclimb bike would br a hoot... as a sucker who fell for Cannondale, I would consider a Buell dirt bike just because. Time will tell, hope it all happens.

• Like 2

I wanted a firebolt back when they were new.  I always wondered what would have happened if harley hadn't treated them like a redheaded step child.  I mean they had sporty models, the ADV and basically everything harley has been attempting to bring to market. 

• Like 1

Had  a Buell XB9SX.  Was my favorite street bike I ever owned. I was planning on upgrading to the 1125 CR, but they closed down, so I never did, Ended up by an FXDL which is more of a Sunday rider for me.  I've only put 700 miles on it.  Used to ride my XB9SX everywhere.  That being said I hope they make a bike like the XB9SX and its not some cheap Chinese motor that under performs and has notchy shifting. That's what kept me away from the BMW F Series, test rode and hated.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DEMI said:

That hillclimb bike would br a hoot... as a sucker who fell for Cannondale, I would consider a Buell dirt bike just because. Time will tell, hope it all happens.

You actually bought one of those? 🤣

Usually on lists of worst dirtbike ever made, lol.

1 minute ago, BOAB said:

You actually bought one of those? 🤣

Usually on lists of worst dirtbike ever made, lol.

HAHA, I sure did! Traded a VOR 503 in towards it thinking I actually made out for once. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For a "new" company they sure sound ambitious. I would totally buy a made in USA electric dual sport or enduro bike if they made one. Buell should just buy the rights to the Alta design and start reproducing them, that would be a quick way to get their feet wet in the market, and it would be doing everyone a great service.

I think they're crazy to try and produce any ICE powered bikes in 2024. By that time electric bikes will be running circles around ICE bikes (hopefully). They should only focus on electric bikes and become a leader in the industry.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

It's going to take more than 3 years for electric bikes to surpass ICE.  Battery tech just isn't there, and it's going to take more than tweaking the chemistry to get there.  They've got the power, they just don't have the range.

• Like 2

I'm an old dinosaur but isn't the character of the engine part of what attracts you guys to bikes???? 

• Like 6
  • Helpful 2

2 hours ago, kb426 said:

I'm an old dinosaur but isn't the character of the engine part of what attracts you guys to bikes???? 

Exactly this! I have no desire for a grown up "power wheels". If electric is all that left to ride, I'll ride no more. 

On 2/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, ThumperTalk said:

image.png
Buell Motorcycle 1190HCR Race Bike built in collaboration with Cipala Racing

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – February 19, 2021 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – Buell Motorcycles is back in production in America. The new Buell® Motorcycles will launch 10 performance models by the 2024 model year. The exciting models will be representative of the superbike performance and handling expected of the legendary Buell brand. Exciting times ahead for fans of American Motorcycles.

Buell Motorcycle upcoming models will include variants for dirt, dual-sport, touring, and cruisers while expanding the line up to include medium and small displacement motors. Buell is also in the initial exploration phases for a high-performance Electric model and is open to collaboration ideas with other companies. The models currently in production are built by hand in Grand Rapids, Michigan and based on the high-performance 1190 platform, known for the innovation of Fuel in Frame, Perimeter Brake Rotor, exceptional handling, and high horsepower.

EBR Motorcycles acquired the Buell brand in early 2020 and began developments to bring Buell back. Buell will be present at Daytona Bike Week 2021 at J&P Cycles Destination Daytona Mega Store. Visit the Buell booth for gear, to view current models, and learn about the developments of the fast and fun American Motorcycle brand.

image.png
Buell Motorcycle Super Touring

image.png

image.png
Buell Motorcycle 1190SX Black Mamba

image.png

Hope they make some motocross style bikes. That would be sick!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 3:05 PM, DEATH_INC. said:

When did they start doing that? laugh.gif.260fbb1282fac1ee415f2f609378b681.gif

They do look pretty good though. Hopefully the performance matches the looks.

performance... yeah, maybe not.  but the handled great!