Jump to content
cdahl383

1977 Suzuki PE250 restoration

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Bro, you are going to put UFO and Maier plastics out of business. LOL! Good job bruh! Keep it up and you will have 2 running PE's. Boy they empty space next to the 2 classics sure could use a 3rd, what to use.?....what to use?...Ah, 175 cc of enduro fun, modern suspension, and wait, whats that out back, a full floater mono shock, arguably the dirt bike industries most smooth and usable rear suspension system of all timeimage.png.7bb8749bf09b63d4241c5cd02066df9e.png

Haha yeah!  
 

Whoa, mono shock?  I’m not sure I’m ready for all this modern fancy stuff.  Next thing you’ll be telling me to get a bike with disc brakes and electric start!  Haha!

Hopefully I can bring my dads 96 Honda home in a month or two.  That will be plenty modern for me.  That one is “only” 25 years old, it’s practically like a new bike haha!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy this jewel, you should change your name to PE Master, the man with the best Pe collection in the west! Mmmm Scrummy, Full floater suspension, telescoping long travel suspension, more modern odo-speedo, good for enduro time trials, I bet that beauty there would give modern bikes a run for their money in off road competition. image.png.0b26afcad5f7909a0e3447860eb44f14.pngimage.png.3b18fdb40bfef5c684e88e10829723f6.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cdahl383 said:

Haha yeah!  
 

Whoa, mono shock?  I’m not sure I’m ready for all this modern fancy stuff.  Next thing you’ll be telling me to get a bike with disc brakes and electric start!  Haha!

Hopefully I can bring my dads 96 Honda home in a month or two.  That will be plenty modern for me.  That one is “only” 25 years old, it’s practically like a new bike haha!

But you must under stand, this bike has a place in PE history, pe-master, she was the first and last bike to be up-dated, shes is much lighter, and zips through the woods and trails like a road runner, she is the Holy Grail of Suzuki two stroke enduros, and you should find and ride one. Im not kidding, its worth it!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

But you must under stand, this bike has a place in PE history, pe-master, she was the first and last bike to be up-dated, shes is much lighter, and zips through the woods and trails like a road runner, she is the Holy Grail of Suzuki two stroke enduros, and you should find and ride one. Im not kidding, its worth it!

 

Yeah I’ve heard the full floaters are really nice.  I prefer the looks of the 77-79 years more than the early 80s, but the suspension is much better on the latter.

That Ken Kaplan dude is pretty cool.  I watch his channel all the time.  Lots of neat old bikes on there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cdahl383 said:

Yeah I’ve heard the full floaters are really nice.  I prefer the looks of the 77-79 years more than the early 80s, but the suspension is much better on the latter.

That Ken Kaplan dude is pretty cool.  I watch his channel all the time.  Lots of neat old bikes on there.

M-kay...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on the rear fender tonight.  This poor fender must have 50 coats of paint on it haha!  Ran out of oven cleaner after a few applications.  Will have to continue on tomorrow.  Stripped off a few layers and got to some actual plastic at least. 

 

ABB32292-9479-485A-A704-01B7D3E017CC.jpeg

9469B5AC-BAF2-4008-9065-F59FD56FB4C3.jpeg

552E8407-5635-4A3E-8A36-E701FDCB6222.jpeg

B1B4AD7D-0C48-4B1D-BEC0-7286AABD056D.jpeg

Edited by cdahl383
Pic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Bro, you are going to put UFO and Maier plastics out of business. LOL! Good job bruh! Keep it up and you will have 2 running PE's. Boy they empty space next to the 2 classics sure could use a 3rd, what to use.?....what to use?...Ah, 175 cc of enduro fun, modern suspension, and wait, whats that out back, a full floater mono shock, arguably the dirt bike industries most smooth and usable rear suspension system of all timeimage.png.7bb8749bf09b63d4241c5cd02066df9e.png

That look's too good to ride!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pitviking said:

That look's too good to ride!

Isn't that a beauty? Some gent on a different forum kept it in clean nik. I bet it runs as good as it looks. I bet back in 85 there were many upset PE owners when they said " This is the last year for the mellow yellow enduro machine." That was until 1989...😉image.png.f7b0bbd201c92e95fc0f2853589af2f0.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NOS throttle cable arrived today!  Got some parts trickling in now.

 

D37BD259-85EE-48DB-96AB-62699E56B105.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got all the paint off the rear fender. Looks like the previous owner had some stickers on the fender.  This one will need more work than the front fender.  Pretty solid for a 44 year old plastic fender.

 

668D7196-7AF1-461C-B8CE-BB32C103226F.jpeg

345E2CD8-208D-4D34-B483-823E4282B5CD.jpeg

1D27376B-8F6F-46F9-AE08-B187E0419541.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 3:18 AM, M E T A L A C I D said:

If you buy this jewel, you should change your name to PE Master, the man with the best Pe collection in the west! Mmmm Scrummy, Full floater suspension, telescoping long travel suspension, more modern odo-speedo, good for enduro time trials, I bet that beauty there would give modern bikes a run for their money in off road competition. image.png.0b26afcad5f7909a0e3447860eb44f14.pngimage.png.3b18fdb40bfef5c684e88e10829723f6.png

Back in '83 Aussie dirt bike mag took a new one of these and transplanted a 250 engine into it to make what Suzooki should have.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the PEs, as a school kid they were one of the first bikes I ever wanted.

After the short lived YZ I had (it blew up after a couple of hours) I came home with a '79 PE175n. It wasn't flash, but it's really the bike that taught Me to ride. Had it for a few years. I can't recall what happened to it in the end, I may even have actually sold it. Later on one of My mates had a PE400t, what a machine that was. I'd love to get my hands on one now, but you never see them for sale anymore.

I'll just have to be happy looking at Cdahls ones. thumbsup.gif.091bace9b9728c9909e0149aaa0861d5.gif

Edit; Btw, the RMX was never the machine the PE was. They were a soft fluffy marshmallow in comparison.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cdahl383 said:

Finally got all the paint off the rear fender. Looks like the previous owner had some stickers on the fender.  This one will need more work than the front fender.  Pretty solid for a 44 year old plastic fender.

 

668D7196-7AF1-461C-B8CE-BB32C103226F.jpeg

345E2CD8-208D-4D34-B483-823E4282B5CD.jpeg

1D27376B-8F6F-46F9-AE08-B187E0419541.jpeg

Dirt bikers always use sticker packs to promote their sponsers, just like hot rods and other motor sports they slap em on, and some actually use the products that are on the stickers. 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Back in '83 Aussie dirt bike mag took a new one of these and transplanted a 250 engine into it to make what Suzooki should have.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the PEs, as a school kid they were one of the first bikes I ever wanted.

After the short lived YZ I had (it blew up after a couple of hours) I came home with a '79 PE175n. It wasn't flash, but it's really the bike that taught Me to ride. Had it for a few years. I can't recall what happened to it in the end, I may even have actually sold it. Later on one of My mates had a PE400t, what a machine that was. I'd love to get my hands on one now, but you never see them for sale anymore.

I'll just have to be happy looking at Cdahls ones. thumbsup.gif.091bace9b9728c9909e0149aaa0861d5.gif

Edit; Btw, the RMX was never the machine the PE was. They were a soft fluffy marshmallow in comparison.

I hear you talking brother.🤠

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Back in '83 Aussie dirt bike mag took a new one of these and transplanted a 250 engine into it to make what Suzooki should have.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the PEs, as a school kid they were one of the first bikes I ever wanted.

After the short lived YZ I had (it blew up after a couple of hours) I came home with a '79 PE175n. It wasn't flash, but it's really the bike that taught Me to ride. Had it for a few years. I can't recall what happened to it in the end, I may even have actually sold it. Later on one of My mates had a PE400t, what a machine that was. I'd love to get my hands on one now, but you never see them for sale anymore.

I'll just have to be happy looking at Cdahls ones. thumbsup.gif.091bace9b9728c9909e0149aaa0861d5.gif

Edit; Btw, the RMX was never the machine the PE was. They were a soft fluffy marshmallow in comparison.

I’ve never ridden a pe175 before.  I know they have less power than the 250 but they’re also lighter.  I bet that was a fun bike!  I’m sure the 400 is a beast!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Dirt bikers always use sticker packs to promote their sponsers, just like hot rods and other motor sports they slap em on, and some actually use the products that are on the stickers. 👍

Maybe the guy used to race it?  Myself I don’t like stickers all over everything.  I like a nice clean looking bike.  But I can see doing that if you had sponsors snd stuff.  
 

I know in the drag racing world those K&N stickers give you 10hp just by putting them on your window!  Haha!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Pitviking said:

Wonder why dirtbike's only get 2 HP with the sticker?

Must be relative to the displacement of the engine.  Larger engines get more of a hp gain haha! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ahhh the old pe loud and rattly but grunty like the it an i love the air cooled never had to worry about water in my old aircooled yz 80 i think if you can safely fix it yes but your gut tells you to get another if you can an looks like you prob can so go either rout trust your gut not filled with beer tho

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marjanboo said:

ahhh the old pe loud and rattly but grunty like the it an i love the air cooled never had to worry about water in my old aircooled yz 80 i think if you can safely fix it yes but your gut tells you to get another if you can an looks like you prob can so go either rout trust your gut not filled with beer tho

Yep I love the old air cooled two strokes.  Simple and fun!  They sound cool too!

Ive already decided to fix this one up.  Going to breathe some new life into it.  Should look and run great when it’s done. But it may take a while as it needs quite a few things.  

I made a big spreadsheet of all the parts I need, what vendor they’re from, prices, etc.  Already ordered quite a few things and got a couple things delivered already.

If things go smoothly it should be up snd running by late summer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cdahl383 said:

Maybe the guy used to race it?  Myself I don’t like stickers all over everything.  I like a nice clean looking bike.  But I can see doing that if you had sponsors snd stuff.  
 

I know in the drag racing world those K&N stickers give you 10hp just by putting them on your window!  Haha!

Did somebody say K and N?

IMG_3496.JPG

Edited by M E T A L A C I D
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...