Electric start vs kickstart

Best to do a timed test. Not which one fires up first, but which one gets you to the corner fastest.  I have both 2 and 4 stroke KTMs.  The 2-s  is WAYYY faster with e-button.   Four stroke, (350) can be slower than the two stroke...sometimes.  Remember, the 2-S fires every time the piston is at the top.  I had a KTM 400 RFS, crank needed to spin a couple of times.  It started faster with kick.   My leg spun it faster than the button. My bikes start every time with the button.  Try it in gear.  Other thing to think about, kicking does nothing for body position coming off the line.

2 hours ago, lil_squid said:

Electric start? Its a no-brainer

An experienced rider with kickstart seems to be just as fast as electric start though

1 minute ago, Jeff B said:

Best to do a timed test. Not which one fires up first, but which one gets you to the corner fastest.  I have both 2 and 4 stroke KTMs.  The 2-s  is WAYYY faster with e-button.   Four stroke, (350) can be slower than the two stroke...sometimes.  Remember, the 2-S fires every time the piston is at the top.  I had a KTM 400 RFS, crank needed to spin a couple of times.  It started faster with kick.   My leg spun it faster than the button. My bikes start every time with the button.  Try it in gear.  Other thing to think about, kicking does nothing for body position coming off the line.

Ah ok. I just ask because it seems like a good kickstart 2 stroke with a good clutch can be as fast. But your 2 stroke is faster with electric start rather than the same bikes kickstart?

I have a 2019 KTM 300 XC carb. bike.  Yup..it is very fast to start. I can not start it faster with my foot.  Best case is they are about  the same to fire up. My 300 has a kick start.  I have tried both. I understand that some TPI bikes can be harder to start, I have heard.  Yes, a kickstart is fast, but in a hare scramble, will your foot slip, will you come off the line leaned to the side or straight.  Try both several times.  Go with what is fast and reliable.   One miss with the kick start, you went from hole shot to in the back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff B said:

I have a 2019 KTM 300 XC carb. bike.  Yup..it is very fast to start. I can not start it faster with my foot.  Best case is they are about  the same to fire up. My 300 has a kick start.  I have tried both. I understand that some TPI bikes can be harder to start, I have heard.  Yes, a kickstart is fast, but in a hare scramble, will your foot slip, will you come off the line leaned to the side or straight.  Try both several times.  Go with what is fast and reliable.   One miss with the kick start, you went from hole shot to in the back. 

Ok thanks

53 minutes ago, Ronnie Heim said:

An experienced rider with kickstart seems to be just as fast as electric start though

Though not nearly as consistent as the button for most average joes. Here's how FTR starts their hare scrambles. Some of those guys are pushing the button before the kickers have swung a leg over the seat. 

Edited by 76xtdrvr

3 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Though not nearly as consistent as the button for most average joes. Here's how FTR starts their hare scrambles. Some of those guys are pushing the button before the kickers have swung a leg over the seat. 

Yea in that case electric start is the way to go for sure.. I was talking about starts where you don’t run to your bike. But it’s sounding like electric start is more reliable than I thought

22 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Dirt biking becomes feminim, Kick start the dang thing, electrics are for street bikes. 

Be macho, go big or go home. LOL!?

I assume you still hand crank your car/truck instead of using one of those feminine electric starters.

• Haha 2

On 2/21/2021 at 3:54 PM, Ronnie Heim said:

Yea in that case electric start is the way to go for sure.. I was talking about starts where you don’t run to your bike. But it’s sounding like electric start is more reliable than I thought

Many use both. Kick and button. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1