KTM Rookie

Hauling bikes on flatbed truck body?

I'm looking for some folks with experience hauling bikes on a flatbed pickup body.  Trucks and toy haulers are getting so expensive, setting up a pickup to haul 3 or 4 bikes means I could buy a nice travel trailer instead of a toy hauler.  The bed could have a toolbox underneath, removable sides, outside edge tie down rails, E track or L track.  The biggest disadvantage I see is the bed will much taller than the usual pickup bed height.  

A few companies lists single rear wheel bed width as 80", just enough for a full size bike to sit on sideways.  Does anyone have pics or experience loading and hauling 3 or 4 bikes sideways on a flatbed truck body?  

Thanks in advance.

I can’t speak for the flatbed specifically, but I do transport my bike with a one ton dually that is pretty high at the tailgate. Closer to 4’ than 3’. I use those 8’ long farm ramps and it’s pretty easy. I put the ramp dead center and the track stand just a bit to the left and walk up into the bed. 

As to the flatbed situation, you might get away with pulling the bikes in from the side instead of the rear. 

I got three in the back of my truck once with middle bike facing backwards. Just gotta be creative. 

I picked up an ‘S’ curve ramp at the HD and it’s made the push up much easier... 

it’s pretty long, it may work for your flatbed...

folds up too, which is nice

32A2D0D8-C1EA-4342-BAFA-E219D1085F2E.png

Edited by TexasBlues

Thanks gents.  Good suggestions.  

After doing some internet research, I'm realizing that putting 3 bikes in a standard truck bed and 1 (the lightest one) on a carrier mounted to custom frame extension on a travel trailer might be the best option.  Aluminum flatbeds seem to run $2k-4K, then mounting 4 wheel chocks and finding "that perfect spot" to load and unload from the side, it's just not worth getting that 1 extra bike in the truck.