Hauling bikes on flatbed truck body?

I'm looking for some folks with experience hauling bikes on a flatbed pickup body.  Trucks and toy haulers are getting so expensive, setting up a pickup to haul 3 or 4 bikes means I could buy a nice travel trailer instead of a toy hauler.  The bed could have a toolbox underneath, removable sides, outside edge tie down rails, E track or L track.  The biggest disadvantage I see is the bed will much taller than the usual pickup bed height.  

A few companies lists single rear wheel bed width as 80", just enough for a full size bike to sit on sideways.  Does anyone have pics or experience loading and hauling 3 or 4 bikes sideways on a flatbed truck body?  

Thanks in advance.

I can’t speak for the flatbed specifically, but I do transport my bike with a one ton dually that is pretty high at the tailgate. Closer to 4’ than 3’. I use those 8’ long farm ramps and it’s pretty easy. I put the ramp dead center and the track stand just a bit to the left and walk up into the bed. 

As to the flatbed situation, you might get away with pulling the bikes in from the side instead of the rear. 

I got three in the back of my truck once with middle bike facing backwards. Just gotta be creative. 

Thanks gents.  Good suggestions.  

After doing some internet research, I'm realizing that putting 3 bikes in a standard truck bed and 1 (the lightest one) on a carrier mounted to custom frame extension on a travel trailer might be the best option.  Aluminum flatbeds seem to run $2k-4K, then mounting 4 wheel chocks and finding "that perfect spot" to load and unload from the side, it's just not worth getting that 1 extra bike in the truck.   

Back in 2007 we fit 4 bikes in a long bed 98 dodge...1 YZ450, 1 WR426, 1 YZ250F, & 1 KLX250...it was a tight fit and the only thing that was no fun was fitting 4 guys plus gear in an extended cab pickup...but you can fit 4 full size in an 8' bed with the tailgate up...

-MT-

On 2/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, KTM Rookie said:

I'm looking for some folks with experience hauling bikes on a flatbed pickup body.  Trucks and toy haulers are getting so expensive, setting up a pickup to haul 3 or 4 bikes means I could buy a nice travel trailer instead of a toy hauler.  The bed could have a toolbox underneath, removable sides, outside edge tie down rails, E track or L track.  The biggest disadvantage I see is the bed will much taller than the usual pickup bed height.  

A few companies lists single rear wheel bed width as 80", just enough for a full size bike to sit on sideways.  Does anyone have pics or experience loading and hauling 3 or 4 bikes sideways on a flatbed truck body?  

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes when I'm lazy and don't want take the toy hauler or the trailer I just take the flat bed from work. I get my bike, my 2 boys bikes and my daughter's quad on there with plenty of room to spare. I have a longer ramp which helps with the height, because honestly the height is an issue in certain circumstances. But usually I just get close to a hill or a small grade change and just unload that way it's not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a gmc 2500 with a class 4 receiver on the front. I’ve carried my bike on the front with a hitch carrier many times. Easier to load also. We used to have a gooseneck horse trailer so this worked out well with a trailer full of horses.

I have seen people hauling bikes on the front of their pickup that way, that might be better than putting a rail behind a travel trailer (stressing the frame and altering the tongue weight)...good idea.  Plus, I'd know immediately if the bike fell off the rail. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sierra_moto said:

The big issue with flat beds is the extra height. My 4wd Dodge 2500 is already a PITA to load bikes, I couldn't imagine it if the loading surface was an 8" taller.

Yeah the saving grace of the flatbed I have at work is that its 2wd and sits pretty low for a 1 ton. Otherwise you're right it is a bear getting up a ramp on our other flatbed.