solimine

supercross KTM's Factory SX Bike

KTM's latest factory bike is fast. 

So what's does the factory KTM have that the others don't?  Apparently, one thing is air/gas suspension.  If they are actually are using air/gas pressure instead of coil springs, then they've conquered the sluggishness of compressed gas and are enjoying the advantage of reduced unsprung weight.  Since SX track straightaways are essentially deep washboards, having a bike that covers those ups, downs, holes and ruts like it's running down a dragstrip is one big advantage.  To paraphrase Carroll Resweber / Joe Leonard "racing is simply a drag race corner to corner."

The question is, how did KTM make it work?    

5 minutes ago, solimine said:

KTM's latest factory bike is fast. 

So what's does the factory KTM have that the others don't?  Apparently, one thing is air/gas suspension.  If they are actually are using air/gas pressure instead of coil springs, then they've conquered the sluggishness of compressed gas and are enjoying the advantage of reduced unsprung weight.  Since SX track straightaways are essentially deep washboards, having a bike that covers those ups, downs, holes and ruts like it's running down a dragstrip is one big advantage.  To paraphrase Carroll Resweber / Joe Leonard "racing is simply a drag race corner to corner."

Who's leading the series in both the 250 and 450? And what bike manufacturer are they riding? KTM doesn't do anything magical that other manufacturers aren't or can't. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 3

30 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Who's leading the series in both the 250 and 450? And what bike manufacturer are they riding? KTM doesn't do anything magical that other manufacturers aren't or can't. 

Whilst not magic they are the only ones using air 

6 minutes ago, mog said:

Hmm.  None of the other factory teams are using the KYB Air fork anymore?

Well I think that's the next move. KTM has been slowly improving the AER fork and it continues to get closer and closer to industry leading. So if they can get the action to appeal to the top pros and the masses (consumer) then they get the performance and also the benefit of less weight, like you mentioned. So I assume the shock is going to be in production at some point soon too. So that is just more weight that they can shed from the bike. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mog said:

According to Coop, not anymore... 

"One key component that everybody knows that you and KTM have been working on all year is the air shock, you went back to a regular spring shock this week."

Just now, redrider144 said:

Talking about the shock... 

• Helpful 1

1 minute ago, redrider144 said:

I believe some are, but no air shock 

1 minute ago, Hans Schmid said:

"One key component that everybody knows that you and KTM have been working on all year is the air shock, you went back to a regular spring shock this week."

Interesting

1 minute ago, ah665 said:

Well I think that's the next move. KTM has been slowly improving the AER fork and it continues to get closer and closer to industry leading. So if they can get the action to appeal to the top pros and the masses (consumer) then they get the performance and also the benefit of less weight, like you mentioned. So I assume the shock is going to be in production at some point soon too. So that is just more weight that they can shed from the bike. 

I'm not sure they feel it will work on 35 minutes mxgp ? 

46 minutes ago, solimine said:

They have been working on it for 10 years

Even a polished turd can work if you have a decade to perfect it 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

When was that quote from?

1 minute ago, mog said:

I believe some are, but no air shock 

Interesting

I'm not sure they feel it will work on 35 minutes mxgp ? 

Who knows, it may take a while to develop. I'm just saying I give them credit for moving forward with the development of the air fork and shock. Rather than try to chase Yamaha and probably achieve equal performance at best, by keeping spring, if they can really get the air components to have a feel that everyone likes, then they get the performance and the weight savings. So it sets them up to be ahead, further down the road. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Matthes has been saying the shock goes to the production bikes next year. Or at least some models.

• Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, indy rider said:

Matthes has been saying the shock goes to the production bikes next year. Or at least some models.

It may. The 22s aren't going to be a new-gen, so I was thinking maybe if they change to a new gen for 23 (or the 22.5 Factory editions) that they would introduce it then? I guess we will see.

Edited by ah665
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, indy rider said:

Hmm.  Wonder how that would do in a 3 hr GNCC.

I don't believe it will be ready next year ,they need to test it outdoors properly

• Helpful 1

44 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

This isn't the latest one ,it's not really relevant