FX350 Baja prep

Brand new bike? Where do you usually ride, and what gear do you already have?

I would focus on having all your tools and any spares ready to go. Make sure your tire choices make sense for the terrain as well. I followed a friend around Calico CA when he left his trials tire on (woods riding). It looked like he was riding over marbles with all those golf ball sized rocks.

I have 11 hours on the bike. I currently have a TMD skid plate and that's it. I will get a new tire and go tubeless. I usually ride socal deserts, Johnson Valley, Lucerne Valley and Ocotillo Wells with a few days at the track mixed in. 

I ran my old FX350 many times in Baja.

14/48 Gearing

Foldable levers (I prefer ARC)

Mousse tubes

Skid plate, hand guards

4 gal acerbis tank

Never did radiator guards on this bike but I would now (BRP preferred)

Spare fuel filters, spark plug, tool kit, safety wire.

I never put a light on but had some tusk helmet lights that I've had to use.  They worked well enough but a light on the bike is not a bad idea.

Always expect the worst in Baja. If it can happen it will happen. Do a good bike prep, check everything before you go. Prep everything early and then check it again. 

I wouldn't run Tubliss in Baja. At least a bib in the front and a HD tube in the rear. You can run a bib in the rear, but beware riding long sections of pavement and high speeds, it will melt the bib. I know groups that go down there with bibs in the rear, but they will keep the speeds under 60mph which is no big deal, but they stop at least every 15 miles to let the rear tire cool down. As stated above, a big gas tank, 4 gallon is ideal. The loops we have done down there you have to ride 130 miles before the next fuel stop. Roll on and off the gas and bump up a gear to conserve. 

Do you have a chase truck, or are you riding with everything you need? Even with a chase truck it's nice to have saddle bags to pack extra parts, food, and a jacket. The Giant Loop Mojave bags are a good option. The Ogio flight vest is a savior also. You can carry your wallet and passport close, snacks for the day, water, and some tools. A hat that can pack easy in a vest or bike, we stop on the beach and enjoy the views, and it's nice to have a hat. Sunglasses. I live in AZ so I'm always wearing them and couldn't leave home without them. Sunscreen, and chapstick. Ziploc bags work well to pack clothes, as you can squeeze them tight to get the air out, you'd be amazed how much stuff you can fit doing this. If you are using saddle bags, pack the bags a week or so early. Then un pack them to get familiar with were things are at, what packs well, and easy to get to.   

As mentioned above, if you don't have fold away levers, pack extra. Air filter ready for install.  Throttle cable, yes it's a new bike, but... it's Baja, you'll be in areas you never knew existed and there is no one around. Spare bolts, tie wire, zip ties, duct tape, electrical tape, wire (to jump start a bike if needed), wire connectors, 2 part epoxy to fix cases, radiator stop, Radiator hose tape, hydraulic fluid, super glue, if running tubes take a 21" tube - you can always stuff a 21" in the rear if needed.  Water iodine tablets - you never know if you need to get water from the tap. Lighter - many uses and can start a fire if you have a long night. Pack a small first aid kit, a comb for cactus, tweezers, the thorns in Baja are big. Oil for the bike. Wet wipes..... you never know, flash light. A cable lock, or a padlock with a combo, not a key. Most areas are secure, but if you go to Catavina the bikes stay out front. We haven't had a problem, but you never know. 

If you never been to Baja, here are my tips from experience:

Exchange for pesos before you go, and get small bills. For a 5 day trip we take around $500, $200 of that exchanged for Pesos. 

Like I said above, always prepare for the worst. Even though you have hotel reservations, you might not when you get there, it happens.

Always get fuel first then go to the hotel, restaurant, they might not have fuel when you come back. 

If you have a chance to buy water, buy it. You never know when you'll have another chance. I drink a lot of water so I have to always be aware of what is available. 

Keep moving but stop to enjoy the views. If you have multiple issues through the day, daylight will run out quick. Get to your destination and relax while it's still daylight.    

Charge pack for your phone, or battery powered items. You might stay at a hotel that is powered by generator or solar, have a back up plan to charge these items. 

Imodium AD. It's a staple item to pack anytime you go to Baja. 

Take a stack of stickers. Kids and adults love racing stickers in Baja. And you would be surprised how stickers can get you out of a jam with a rancher with a locked gate you need to get through. 

Be prepared for random things. You might be riding along and you come to a guy standing in the middle of no where, and he has the trail blocked. He might say you are on my property, if you give me $5 you can pass through, make sure to carry small bills (USD and Pesos). Also you can end up on the wrong ranch with a pissed off land owner, and you'll be heading back the direction you came for many miles to get where you need to go. Just because the route is pre-determined by the ride leader, that doesn't mean a gate didn't show up in the last week he didn't know about. It happens, it's Baja and don't get discouraged. 

If you have the option to pack gas, do it. Again, you never know if you have to back track.

Most important item is to have fun, take lots of pictures, and enjoy the food. We have never had a bad meal in Baja. We just got back from a 600 mile 5 day trip two weeks ago and as always, it was a blast. I'll be back down there in April for the NORRA 1000 and can't wait.  

• Helpful 3