XR200 Replacement xr200r air box

I’ve got a 1990 xr200r with a missing air box. The person I bought the bike for doesn’t have the air box so I’ve been trying to find a replacement. Does anyone know what air box would be compatible or if I can find a replacement. I’m also looking for a mud guard/flap.

1986 - 2002 XR200R air box assembly is what you need.   Or a 1984 - 85 air box, with a 86 - 02 air boot.

Old School Al

While the 84-85 XR200R/250R air box fits the chassis the problem may be finding an air boot. A quick ebay search showed a lot of 84-85 air boxes and a lack of 96-02 air boots.

The inlet bell on your carb has a 43.65mm OD and I don't remember the OD of the twin carb Bells but they will be close or larger than the 86+ XR200R so you might be able to use the twin boot by blocking off the left side.

Good pic of the parts you will need:  #10 keep water off the filter element, #11 or 12 provide additional water protection and reduce inlet noise.  #5 is the air boot retaining ring, #4 & 3 support the filter. #2 is the filter and based on filter performance tests I prefer OEM or Moose (if avail). On edit: The screen in #3 should not be removed, it is a backfire arrester and the last thing you need on a trail ride is a backfire and a possible fire destroying your bike.  And you would be financially responsible for fire fighting costs and damage.  Dyno tests have shown no increase in power by removing. 

spacer.png

Edited by Chuck.
spelling and add

Thanks for your replies, I’m probably going to try to find a air box that fits my chassis. Then I’ll either put a dual carb boot on and block of the left side or I can look for a used boot that’s intended for my bike. And I can buy most of the smaller parts chuck listed from Honda Parts House if the air box I buy doesn’t come with them. I’ll update on the situation as soon as something comes up. 
Thanks again

I looked into the XR250 air boxes and I’ve found numerous fully intact with an air boot. What years of XR250 air boxes will fit my 1990 XR200r?

I don't remember the carb bell OD for the twin carb XR250R but my recollection is it is larger than the 86+ XR200R, probably the same as other twin cable PD carbs.   So I did some part number searching and the carb clamp for the 84-85 XR200R is also used on a bunch of other models including XR250Rs, XLs, and ATC185/200. That confused me because I thought the ATC185/200 used a carb like the XR200s rather than the larger carbs of the XR250Rs. The XR250R carb boot clamp is 52mm, the 86+ XR200R 46mm.

The carb bell of the twin cable XR250R is 46.9mm vs the 86+ XR200R at 43.65mm. The 86+ XR200R carb is 17mm shorter than the twin cable carb, so 3/4" shorter.  Baja Trail Rider (BTR), and others on the 150/230 forum, makes carb adapters from exhaust pipe reducers.

Maybe easiest would be for the OP to wait until he can find a 86+ XR200R air boot. Or go back to the seller and see if he can track sown the original air box and boot.

Edited by Chuck.

4 hours ago, Chuck. said:

wow that is pricey and it looks like a section is missing where it attaches to the carb also.  I would remove the restrictive air inlet cover on this one.

Another option is 3d printing an air boot.

It is a complete air box minus the side cover, filter element, and filter bolt. Yeah some damage at the carb end of the air boot but still usable.

As for removing parts of the air box inlet it really depend on your riding conditions. The little snorkel piece reduces inlet noise and provides more water protection. The other larger piece is the inlet duct and it is proud of the top so stops some water from getting into the air box, and any that does is kept off the filter element by its tail inside the air box.  My riding bud runs complete stock exhaust and air  box and his bike is stealthy; if I'm stopped at a trail intersection, with helmet off,  I won't hear his bike until he is less than 100 away.

I run with the little snorkel removed and I often find dirty water residue inside my air box, also lots of dirty water residue on the top of the airbox that the raised edges of the duct kept out. 

My bike isn't as stealthy as my buds because I'm running CRF250X muffler.

Edited by Chuck.

Posted (edited)

Here is an airboot 86-02 on ebay                                 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XR200-Air-Filter-boot-1986-02/203297930883?fits=Model%3AXR200R&hash=item2f55803e83:g:CrwAAOSwKptgQ90g

heres an airbox to go with it, shock splash guard in good shape on this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XR-200-HONDA-1984-XR-200R-1984-AIR-BOX/293665111337?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20

Edited by ArkEnduroRider