FLO_RIDA

Degenerative Disk Disease

3 hours ago, Nigel18 said:

if it’s not too far gone....
Loose weight if you overweigh, Stay hydrated, Stretch everyday, (Critical - Strengthen your Abs !! For me stretching and Abs have made all the difference ! Go see a physio and get strengthening excercises ideal for your needs. I have it and ride 🙂 

Thanks. Does you back hurt?

• Like 1

Had a side impact car accident years ago, degenerate disc since. As long I am stretching regularly and doing ab exercises mine is holding out. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nigel18 said:

Had a side impact car accident years ago, degenerate disc since. As long I am stretching regularly and doing ab exercises mine is holding out. 

I know I could look it up. But, what stretches do YOU do that helps?  Thanks. 

Cortisone injections are my life saver.  I have three slightly bulging discs in lower back and three in my neck also.  Buildings up core strength helps dramatically with my lower back 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There are lots of different options and it does depend on your specific issue. But These guys explain and demonstrate some of the ones I do and have found to be most effective

WARNING - I AM NOT A MEDICAL PRACTITIONER ! I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU GO SEE A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL FOR ADVICE AND HELP ON YOUR PROBLEM.here...

and for general fitness I use these guys  Closed now, but available online for a small monthly fee. You will feel like a king after 6-8weeks ! TheFitRoom..

Edited by Nigel18
  • Helpful 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:26 PM, cosmicelvis said:

I also was born with a clubfoot so one of my legs is much weaker than the other, this was twisting my spine when mt biking according to my physical therapist. I read somewhere too that most professional bicyclist have to quit because of spine issues not knee problems as one would think. If my hip flexors get too tight my back will start hurting because your hips are connected to your back muscles. I do some stretches as well a few times a week, this may be causing you pain too.

This and chiro helped me.  I used to mtn bike everywhere, now I cant ride one for 10 min or my neck starts the whole trickle down to my lower back.  My chiro showed me some hip and leg stretches that help that nerve that goes from your neck to your foot.  I can ride a bike with the arm/shoulder arms....I can stay upright looking forward.  For me it was the whole bent over position with my neck trying to look forward.  Rowing helps me too, pull ups....all pull exercises, no presses.  My bars on my dirtbike look like ape-hangers to most riders but I can still ride 4-5 hours without neck and back pain.  Good luck, it sucks to have anything like that happen.

• Helpful 1

On 2/28/2021 at 2:14 PM, FLO_RIDA said:

Know what is messed up?

I recently just bought that stationary bike. All of this pain happened just after I started riding this stationary bike. I really really hope to God it wasn't this bike.....  How is that even possible? Jump rope actually makes it feel better Believe that or not...  I have been jump roping for years now. I must be thick headed. My wife said something about ever since I started writing that stationary bike or spin bike whatever it's called I had the back pain...

I ride hours upon hours on road/mountain bikes every week, and I hate most of the spin bikes. My actual bikes are all fitted to me and very comfortable to ride, even that I've had a neck/back injury before.

The spin bikes are just a generic size, and while they do have some level of adjustment, it's often not enough. I have an el cheapo spin bike that I keep at work and I find that it seems to put a lot of pressure on the hips/lower back. I can deal with that, but the Q-factor/width of the crank is unnatural to me, and I my knees don't track straight...eventually causing knee pain.

At home, I have one of my old road bikes set up on a stationary trainer, in the case of poor weather. Even then, indoor riding is hard on the body...you just aren't moving around into different positions like out on the road.

• Helpful 1

14 minutes ago, Sierra_moto said:

I ride hours upon hours on road/mountain bikes every week, and I hate most of the spin bikes. My actual bikes are all fitted to me and very comfortable to ride, even that I've had a neck/back injury before.

The spin bikes are just a generic size, and while they do have some level of adjustment, it's often not enough. I have an el cheapo spin bike that I keep at work and I find that it seems to put a lot of pressure on the hips/lower back. I can deal with that, but the Q-factor/width of the crank is unnatural to me, and I my knees don't track straight...eventually causing knee pain.

At home, I have one of my old road bikes set up on a stationary trainer, in the case of poor weather. Even then, indoor riding is hard on the body...you just aren't moving around into different positions like out on the road.

Thanks

Not to minimize your issues at all, but I've been down a rough road too. DDD, failed fusion of L5S1, and bulged L4, its ready for the next fusion. I've done chiropractors, physical therapy, pain management, shots, but what has worked is radio frequency ablation RFA its been the best pain relief I've found

• Helpful 1

On 3/1/2021 at 1:12 PM, Nigel18 said:

if it’s not too far gone....
Loose weight if you overweigh, Stay hydrated, Stretch everyday, (Critical - Strengthen your Abs !! For me stretching and Abs have made all the difference ! Go see a physio and get strengthening excercises ideal for your needs. I have it and ride 🙂 

This is good advise, the ab strengthening worked for me, I was however told not to do any stretching.  We are all different, so its trial and error till you find what works.  

I learned I had lower disc issues at 38.  This created an impingement, which led to nerve inflammation, pain, muscle tension, and a feeling of hamstring tightness.  I'd stretch and the problem would only get worse.  Then a Little Asian eastern/western medicine doc gave me tons of core strengthening excercises and had me to do my sit ups/crunches on an inflatable exercise ball.  She showed me that stretching just caused further impingement exasperating the inflammation.  Now I've tightened the muscle groups around the spine to support it and don't stay in bed more than 6-8 hours.  Seriously want to try inversion, heard it's a good replacement for stretching.  You can find a lot of good planking excercises online.  

I hope planking/core works until I assume room temperature because I have a lot of physical interests and projects to do before I can, or will go...

You will find what works because you are motivated by powerful self interest.  

Good luck!!!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I herniated the L4-L5 disc 20+ years ago and still have problems. When I bend over the 2 vertebrae slide up to 8mm relative to each other and pinch nerves.  Only rode once last summer and realized I should quit.  However this past winter a new doctor prescribed aqua therapy and that really helped improve my core muscle strength.  Before therapy I couldn't tie shoes wo a lot of pain, and putting on socks in the morning required about 30 minute in an Ekorness chair for the pain to subside.  I'm now down to little or no pain in the mornings.

I don't want to do the fusion surgery because that will overload adjacent joints,  a neighbor has had 3 or 4 surgeries and still can't walk.

Edited by Chuck.
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

I herniated the L4-L5 disc 20+ years ago and still have problems. When I bend over the 2 vertebrae slide up to 8mm relative to each other and pinch nerves.  Only rode once last summer and realized I should quit.  However this past winter a new doctor prescribed aqua therapy and that really helped improve my core muscle strength.  Before therapy I couldn't tie shoes wo a lot of pain, and putting on socks in the morning required about 30 minute in an Ekorness chair for the pain to subside.  I'm now down to little or no pain in the mornings.

I don't want to doe the fusion surgery because that will overload adjacent joints,  a neighbor has had 3 or 4 surgeries and still can't walk.

Gosh that sux

Posted (edited)

Was diagnosed with DDD about 20 years ago at the age of 24.  Had a lesion on one of my disks also.  Had some sciatica before that.  6 weeks PT didn't really affect much.  Change of positions at job helped as much as anything.  I did continue the stretches they taught me for a couple years.  From lifting heavy generators and pumps, laying on the floor trying to wrench on stuff being on concrete for 10 hours a day, to holding down a chair behind a desk. (stretches that helped me were basically pushups while leaving legs lay falt on the ground...a torso pushup.  My lesion was on back side of disc, so this stretch would push all the fluid to the front and offered relief)

Edit: *Note...I seemed to gain back a little flexibility when I went to drinking plain water 98% of the time.  Could be a coincidence, but I noticed it.

Had some gut problems 2 years ago which ultimately caused me to drop 35 lbs and keep it off.  Back hasn't felt better since I was a teenager.  I still lift heavy stuff and do physical things, just not like I used to (moderate).  I have a lot of pops and cracks that come from my lower back, but I don't have the constant nagging pain that I had for several years running back then.  Dealt with various back issues from 99 through about 2013.  Now, I have a knee that once in a while feels like it's going to let go...great.  My back still 'goes out'.  Usually a day or two until I can get the right pop then back to normal.

Oh yeah....get a decent mattress.  I suspect my crappy bed was adding to problems.

Bottom line...do a little less...ask less of your back.  Drop some weight if you have any to get rid of ( I still have a good 15lbs that I could do without).  Buy a supportive mattress.  Learn what stretches make your back feel better and do them daily.  When all else fails, grab the advil liquigels.  Thankfully I don't have to eat 4-6 of those a day anymore.

I can empathize with you 100%.  Back pain is a &%$#@!er.

Second edit:  How about inversion?  I never tried it but was always curious.

Edited by RCBS

On 5/21/2021 at 12:15 PM, Chuck. said:

I don't want to do the fusion surgery because that will overload adjacent joints,  a neighbor has had 3 or 4 surgeries and still can't walk.

When mine was in bad shape, swimming was recommended but I do not have ready access to a pool.  Swimming is excellent low impact exercise.

• Helpful 1

On 3/1/2021 at 2:52 PM, FLO_RIDA said:

Ive tried a lot of adjustments....  What I really think did it to me, was me riding in the 50-70 rpm zone for way too long.  I was trying to simulate hill climbs.  Make my legs really work.  

When you push gears that are too big you tend to arch your back, which could cause your issue. Try spinning in easier gears.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:22 AM, FLO_RIDA said:

Gosh that sux

Yes  it really messed up my riding because sometimes the pain prevented some activities on the bike, fortunately my riding bud would help me pick up the bike after a fall.  

Now several more months after the aqua therapy and I don't have back pain, can easily put on socks and tie shoes. And I have been packing up a house to move so plenty of lifting. 

After last summer I was ready to quit riding but now I'm glad I didn't sell any bikes. My advice is find a good neurosurgeon. 

I’m going to echo what a lot of others here have said.  Also have DDD, herniated disc, stenosis, etc.  due to construction work.  Been dealing with it for over a decade, pretty much tried everything but surgery.  The 2 most effective things for me have been excercise/strengthening core, and learning to listen to my body rather than being hard headed and continuing to do things that aggravate the area(lumbar region for me), be it work related or recreation.  

Each persons injuries are different, experiment and see what works for you and what makes it worse.  If bike riding bothers you, then take a break and see if that helps.  I’ve had better luck doing stretching/yoga/strengthening at home rather than going to physical therapy. 

Good luck, hope this provided some help. 

On 2/28/2021 at 9:45 AM, Spud786 said:

Id say the alcohol is dehydrating you, making it worse. So drink plenty of water daily

Have you tried the hanging upside down idea, which stretches out the discs, you can also lay on a hard bed, with knees hanging over the sides , and your back will eventually stretch out too.   I dont have a back issue, I just do this daily, cause it works well avoiding back degrade. you can lift each leg, stretching out far to the left and right.  You've had issues for so long,  not sure how effective, but for 60 year olds, I recommend this daily.

Pain pills (weed) and stuff like that does nothing fixing the situation, pain meds are for when its a lost cause.

Yep. Alcohol is toxic to the kidneys. The dehydration is a big driver of kidney stones and may be part of the problem. I have had zero lower back pain since I started taking apple cider vinegar pills(600mg) pretty frequently. I also drink a lot of water. Regarding the degen-disc stuff it comes with age. Chiro is a waste of time and money if a serious  spine issue is present. Nothing more than a over hyped/marketed massage. Period!

• Helpful 1

Not all gyms have these but I like to use the roman chair mostly for stretching, and have found it helps my back but also helps to stretch my neck using gravity and reduces headaches. 

Also can be a good way to strengthen muscles, but is easy to overdo it even without holding any weight while doing a reverse sit up. 

https://fitbodybuzz.com/roman-chair-hyperextension-exercise/

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 5:56 AM, chadk66 said:

Cortisone injections are my life saver.  I have three slightly bulging discs in lower back and three in my neck also.  Buildings up core strength helps dramatically with my lower back 

Corticosteroids actually cause muscle loss longer term. 

Screenshot_20210712-175141_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2