FCR39 Rebuild

Hey all, ive been wanting to rebuild my fcr and put it back into my drz. I ordered a rebuild kit and got it stripped down pretty good. Im at the mid body portion for the carburetor and I see some of the sealant that you are supposed to use when you put it back together. I know that a shop worked on this carb last time and I believe they used some sort of jb weld which I had heard is pretty common to use for this. 

Is there a way to go about with splitting this? i removed 3 allen bolts from what i can see.

How do I fully remove the top pin holding the part where the throttle cables go?

DB190961-CC72-4ECE-A662-B60747E76CDE.jpeg

F8546FD7-3529-461B-95B6-2739180DBAFC.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damian654123 said:

So no solution to this besides leaving the middle part?

Have you undone the four bolts that hold the mid section together ?  2 allen head bolts on the out side corners and 2 tiny allen head bolts in side underneath the mid-section .    Make sure you have given the tiny allen head bolts a good tap before undoing them . If they strip then you can use a multipoint type bit and hammer it in and then undo them.  If you do not fully disassemble the carb you will have seals that will be perished and cause rough running/idle.

Yes I removed the 4 allens, I picked out soem crumbs from the hole and tapped my allen keys in them to get them out nicely. Im thinking kf using a heat gun or alcohol to soften up or dissolve the weld? Would heat ruin the carb body, or should i look out for anything?

Those little allens on the inside are sketchy! I was too worried of stripping them. Allens that small were flexin'!!! What is the trick? Heat, tapping first? I ended up cleaning and rebuilding the rest and am giving it a try. But if it doesn't run right, will need to get back in and repair the midbody. Good photo above, one of the rare shots of the midbody broken down.

I can send more photos if youd like. the 4 allens had some dirt or something inside the holes. So i cleared out the debris with a vice pick placed the tight size allen in, I got long allens for this. Tapped the end of it to go all the way down, and gripped the L shaped part of the allen with needle nose pliers and cracked the bolts loose. When I pulled them out they had blue loctite on them.

That would definitely help. Im probably going to use an ultrasonic cleaner and clean the parts but being mindful of the bearings. The sealant which looks and acts like jb weld is pretty hard to get off, I might have to heat it with the torch again to pick it out

Edit: I tried using chem dip, brake cleaner, and a soldering iron to try and remove some of the jb weld but hadnt worked very well. I then tried just torching the jb weld and using a dull razor blade and very gently prying it up and it is working very well.

• Like 1