Not sure what to d about this....  my seat bolt got loose and fell on to my chain (I heard it when it happened) I thought a rock had kicked up into my hub then all of a sudden my rear wheel locked up. At first I couldn’t figure out why then I saw the bolt stuck up against my front sprocket. Pulled it out and headed back to the truck, then I noticed my guard wa bent so I looked again and saw the crack. Will this affect anything, how can I fix it?  My girl suggested job weld and move on since it’s not leaking anywhere. HELP

TiA

7D0AD7DB-8176-4F3E-AF74-90A9750A3466.jpeg

B4562970-59C3-4619-8B2F-DE35F148352B.jpeg

17 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

New case ......  best soloution ..  

That’s what I’m trying to avoid. Just looking for other opinions 

I'm instances like these, I find bubble gum works wonders. 

But seriously, JB weld. Or just throw the whole guard contraption in the trash. A lot of good it's done so far.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Does that area leak or hold any engine oil?

Joe

No leak. Looks Like it’s just a anchor point but not really sure

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JB weld the case. Use acetone on it first to clean the aluminum. The guard is not going to work even if the JB weld works to keep the oil in.
BTW, "JB Weld" is just a brand name for a good epoxy. It is not a real weld. Welding cases is hard, time consuming and expensive. Its nearly always cheaper to get a new case than try to really weld it.

• Like 7

That is a freak accident for sure ,  rocks do the same thing sometimes .  I just don't trust JB on Important parts .  Especially if it could cause more expensive damage ....

I knocked a hole I could stick my finger in on my 96 CR500 when it was new. I plugged it with  a piece of epoxy stick that you cut off and kneed. It’s still in there. 

• Like 3

Depending on how you are riding, I'd definitely try cleaning and properly prepping the area for JB Weld first and take the repair in stages. If that doesn't work then maybe a new case. You won't hurt anything trying JB Weld and it will likely work just fine. Take a look at Project Farm's test - 

• Like 2

Overtighten a bolt? Yeup these motors are made of clay. LOL! pull the sprox cover and hardware, set aside. Clean up the surface, mix up your 2 part jb weld correctly, spread on the surface, pice together and find a way to hold it tight, tape, clamp etc. let dry. Sand the surface and paint it with the same color epoxy paint, and bam your done. Make dam sure all bolts are tight on your scoot when you take it out of the garage...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I you dont want to JB weld it any good weld shop can fix that. I had my 03 450 welded up in the same fashion. 

• Helpful 2

As long as you're not leaking oil and there's 4 or 5 threads left in the case, you can grind or file the area flat and use a spacer with a thru hole to fill the gap. 

12 hours ago, Gregory Cervantes said:

my seat bolt got loose and fell on to my chain

MLhp4SD.jpg.ce21bc73c72a67124cff9cd9ed8eae8b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'd buy a new case to have on hand then run it without the case saver. Put the case saver with the case then maybe your chain breaks and destroys your case further and requires the new case. You'll already be set.

I've never used JB weld, it won't hold that temporarily? If it won't, I just wouldn't run the case saver.

• Helpful 1
  • Sad 2

From the picture, it appears the crack might only be in the threaded bolt portion and not into the cases, or more importantly not into any really structurally significant part of the cases.  Best case, maybe see if you can find a welder who will spot weld it back on,  maybe run a tap through it and perhaps you'll be as good as new.  Maybe be ready to replace the rubber seal in the clutch shaft after welding if it happens to overheat it, or maybe you can drizzle water on it while welding.  The welder would know best about that.  JB Weld would be a second option.  A new cause would obviously fix it the best, but given the location I would be tempted to weld or JB Weld myself.  

• Like 2

Tig. The crack around the clutch acutater is what would concern me 

This is why I dont run those guards. Never have had an issue with taking them off. You could clean the area with non chlorinated brake clean. Brush with NEW tooth brush size wire brush then 2 part apply it. There's some realy good 2 part apply out there.

• Like 2

JB Weld should take care of that but I would pop everything off to straighten the cover and case saver bc it looks like they could be bent. Use a new bolt perhaps. 

• Like 2