XR200 2002 xr200r stator lighting coil bad?

im trying to test my lighting output side of my stator to see what the deal is and ive got open circuit from both sides of the lighting output to ground and .8 ohms across pink and pink/yellow stripe

this is a bad stator right?

No, the 90+ stators have floating ground on the lighting section, the yellow and pink wires out do not connect to ground.  That is typical of alternators that are designed for charging a DC system, and most rectfier/regulators will have 2 input wires, plus red out and a green ground, some will also have a black wire for external voltage sensing (connect it to the battery or the red out put wire).

im connecting to a trail tech rr150 it has 2 yellows that are supposedly supposed to go to the stator according to their diagram and im not running a battery and all their wiring diagrams include a battery so this is somewhat confusing even for someone who wires low voltage on a daily basis

if im testing the output of the lighting coil do i test from pink to pink/yellow or am i testing pink to ground?

The yellow and pink/yel are the outputs from the alternator lighting section. You could, but the open voltage will scare you, better to have load on the alternator like a light bulb. Or connect the R/R and measure the DC output.  The Honda electrical system is very noisy because of the CDI ignition system, Honda designed the system to use a battery as a filter to quench the high voltage noise. A bad battery, or no battery, and the regulator won't regulate properly. The symptom is the light works at idle but dims as rpm rises.  The fix is to use a capacitor to filter the noise, I've found a 10,000mfd 50 volt to work. Avail on ebay.  Here is one:Capacitor.jpg.c6da48dc8e7f9aee0b6ee54b3b5d6a78.jpg

And installed:

969749821_LEDHeadlight(2).jpg.559c006ead16cd90c03e00ab301051aa.jpg

Crimp and solder all connections and add shrink fit tubing.
I covered the above install on another thread in this forum.

Edited by Chuck.

32 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

The yellow and pink/yel are the outputs from the alternator lighting section. You could, but the open voltage will scare you, better to have load on the alternator like a light bulb. Or connect the R/R and measure the DC output.  The Honda electrical system is very noisy because of the CDI ignition system, Honda designed the system to use a battery as a filter to quench the high voltage noise. A bad battery, or no battery, and the regulator won't regulate properly. The symptom is the light works at idle but dims as rpm rises.  The fix is to use a capacitor to filter the noise, I've found a 10,000mfd 50 volt to work. Avail on ebay.  Here is one:Capacitor.jpg.c6da48dc8e7f9aee0b6ee54b3b5d6a78.jpg

And installed:

i probably should have mentioned why i started this process, the rectifier wasnt putting out even a full volt of DC, i could switch to AC and get about 3v AC out of it, i was doing this out of an abundance of precaution since i dropped some decent cheddar on the baja squadron light

38 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

And installed:

also am i understanding what you are saying here correctly, without a battery or a capacitor it will not rectify at all?

ThumperTalk Needs an "Electrical Forum" selection !! I can keep my Honda running correctly, but not sure about how much "Juice" is available !!

• Like 1

With the regulator/ rectifier would the AC voltage regulator still be required?

13 minutes ago, wazzabie said:

With the regulator/ rectifier would the AC voltage regulator still be required?

not according to any of the diagrams i have

This is my recipe for a rock solid electrical system.

Stock stator rewound to use the empty poles, still with 300 total winds.  Trail tech RR, use the timed output to run DC loads. Battery, I like the small case 4 cell anti gravity. Red wire from RR to battery. 

• Like 3