SlowDinoDog

2021 F250 7.3L V8 and 22 ft trailer

9 hours ago, Grimlock said:

I’m more than slightly jealous of your tow vehicle. 🤔

My last truck was an F150 5.4L V8 with 370K miles. This one is nicer. I ordered it the first of November and received it the first of March. I'm really happy with it.

Except, rolling bikes onto a trailer is easier than into a truck bed.

Edited by SlowDinoDog
  • Like 2

Nice! How does it pull? I'm not going to ask about the mileage....

Looking good... I've been shopping for a 8ft bed truck like that with the 7.3.  Do you have any people sitting in the second row?  If so, how's the legroom/comfort on long trips?  Crew cabs seems more plentiful, but the wheelbase on the crew cab is 12" longer, which doesn't help with daily driving.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DominantRufus said:

Looking good... I've been shopping for a 8ft bed truck like that with the 7.3.  Do you have any people sitting in the second row?  If so, how's the legroom/comfort on long trips?  Crew cabs seems more plentiful, but the wheelbase on the crew cab is 12" longer, which doesn't help with daily driving.

Crew cab is pretty much all you will find unless you are willing to go with an XL trim work truck.  The crew is  not that much more and when you are spending north of $60k what is 1500-2000 more.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, olderthanyourdirt said:

Crew cab is pretty much all you will find unless you are willing to go with an XL trim work truck.  The crew is  not that much more and when you are spending north of $60k what is 1500-2000 more.

Yes, the non-XL models are harder to find, but not impossible.  One of my local dealers has 9 XLT's in stock, but they are a mix of 6.2L, no thanks, and the diesel, which would be overkill for my needs, although I'm sure the 1050 ft-lbs of torque would be fun.

https://www.kengrodyfordsandiego.com/new-vehicles/super-duty/#action=im_ajax_call&perform=get_results&trim[]=XLT&page=1&body[]=Extended+Cab+Pickup

Crew cab is 1ft longer and should be theoretically easier to maneuver in tight spaces, but I guess that's not a big deal when it's 21ft vs 22ft

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cowman said:

Nice! How does it pull? I'm not going to ask about the mileage....

I'm ok with it. It uses two or three gallons more a week around town than my old truck and the computer says it averages about 15 mpg around town as a daily driver and about 10 mpg pulling our 4,000 lb trailer and a dirt bike on the freeway.

This was my first experience towing a trailer so large. The shifting of the 10 spd seemed really nice. I guess it was designed to handle that new 1,000 ft-lb torque diesel engine, so it should have a long lifetime on this engine.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, olderthanyourdirt said:

Mine was ordered the first of November. I sat down with the sales guy and went through the options line-by-line to build a unique truck.

The 8ft bed is a must carrying two bikes and gasoline, including generator gasoline, bike ramps, etc...

The four-dour crew cab was not a necessity for me. We have no crew or kids. The Extended cab  rear doors open more than 90 degrees to make it easy to load bins of gear and tools...and it shortens the wheelbase and takes off weight...and kinda looks unique as an XLT 4x4 Extended cab with an 8ft bed.

My truck was just over $50K USD OTD.

Edited by SlowDinoDog
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DominantRufus said:

No...no one rides in the back. You probably want a bigger cab when more than two people are taking trips because you're also packing more gear and also want the doors to open independently.

Edited by SlowDinoDog

7 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Ford? Cmon Man.🤪

abrguh08_o.gif

Its an Arizona thing...Ford Dealers are in lots of small towns. I bought mine in Oracle, Arizona...home of the Biosphere...to avoid paying Lefty Tucson City sales tax. 💰🤠

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

32 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

Its an Arizona thing...Ford Dealers are in lots of small towns. I bought mine in Oracle, Arizona...home of the Biosphere...to avoid paying Lefty Tucson City sales tax. 💰🤠

Ford funds, blm and antifa.....

• Haha 1

Nice rig.  Suggest you consider attaching your emergency brake cable to the truck or hitch frame, not the safety chain.

@SlowDinoDog

Technically federal motor carrier says that the breakaway cable is suppose to hook to the tow vehicle with its own hook. Also it states that you are supposed to cross the safety chains.

My cousin runs one of these in his pickup, he likes it for hauling up to 3 motorcycles.image.png.a87eb4f0d42dea932569332ed0c4c255.png

The only problem he has is if you want to haul something like a fridge up against the front. He has to put a piece of plywood or something there to make it a flat surface. But there are others that would work too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CoronaCarl said:

@SlowDinoDog

Technically federal motor carrier says that the breakaway cable is suppose to hook to the tow vehicle with its own hook. Also it states that you are supposed to cross the safety chains.

My cousin runs one of these in his pickup, he likes it for hauling up to 3 motorcycles.image.png.a87eb4f0d42dea932569332ed0c4c255.png

The only problem he has is if you want to haul something like a fridge up against the front. He has to put a piece of plywood or something there to make it a flat surface. But there are others that would work too.

That looks like an easy way to hold the front wheel...do you have to drill into the bed to install it?

1 hour ago, dabird said:

Nice rig.  Suggest you consider attaching your emergency brake cable to the truck or hitch frame, not the safety chain.

Thx, that does look wrong. My GF hooked it up. Its her trailer. The dealer set it up that way, but they may have run the loop on the brake cable through a link on her truck along with the chain hooks. She may not have noticed and been doing it wrong for a while. We'll clean that up.

1 hour ago, SlowDinoDog said:

That looks like an easy way to hold the front wheel...do you have to drill into the bed to install it?

Come on SDDog...I already drilled into my bed upper rails for my chase rack...wife just shakes her head.

Thanks for bg the mileage numbers...how's the hill pulling with the load?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SlowDinoDog said:

The one my cousin has is bolted/drilled into the front rail. But I know that there are others that clamp on.

• Like 1