Carb Brass Inlet - Had Trouble with

Hello

I had been using, and was happy with, the CVK40 carb on my DRZ400. Happy and should have left it alone.

I saw that you could replace the plastic inlet with a brass elbow and thought it made sense to do it preemptively.  I am trying to build my DRZ into some sort of bulletproof apocalypse machine and cant resist a $10 upgrade in the name of reliability.

The consensus out there seems to be that pulling the old piece is the dangerous part. I got it out without much hassle.

I carefully tapped the new piece in to get it started and then used a bench vise to slowly press the new one in. It went in half way and then "tink" a split appeared running along with the insert. I was very pissed because that carb was clean and setup nicely. Worked very well.

I didn't even consider trying to see if it leaked because I just would be driven nuts by it, so I ordered another used carb of Ebay. And then the exact same thing happened. THis time I tried heating the carb body and cooling the brass piece with freeze spray. Exact same thing.

So now I'm into it for $350 and wanna scream. I don't think I'll try it again, but out of curiosity has anyone done this job and had anything similar happen. Any advice other than stop F'ing around with things that aren't broke?