Long rubber hose running near rear shock

Hello fellow riders, 

I recently re-jetted my carb ('01 DRZ400S) and I noticed a long rubber hose running parallel to my rear shock and down low towards the ground. This was not a hose I disconnected from the carb and I am not sure where or what it is supposed to connect to. Is it possible that this was a vent tube for the stock metal gas tank? I bought the bike with an IMS 4.0 gallon tank.

Thank you for the help, Mescalito. 

image.png.b86b523d34f0dd1ae84f62a7bee6c1f6.pngimage.png.714215fdf606e1100d729135b00a742a.png

6 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Check the owners manual or any OEM parts schematic. And put a quality foam filter in that thing.

The air filter is a K&N filter. It came with the bike when I bought it and it think they're around 65 dollars a piece. Are these not quality filters? Or should I be running a No Toil Oil air filter? The bike was already modded with a 3x3 air box cut out and aftermarket exhaust.

Not a Cali bike. I live in SLC and bought it from someone in the valley who bought it from the original owner who was also a Utah resident. The bike did not come with a coolant overflow tank and I actually just purchased a used in good condition with hoses off of Ebay to install. I'm trying to correct some of the previous owners hokey "bailing twine fixes".

K&N is a free flowing filter (read:less filtering), probably ok on a street only DRZ but if you go off road definitely think about a properly oiled foam filter.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Definitely will be doing a lot of desert riding this summer. I will grab a oiled foam filter for my adventure/desert rides and keep the K&N for commuting to work. Thank you for the input. 

On a side note, any advice on how to stiffen the rear shock for luggage? Or does that require going down the road of having to purchase a whole new rear shock? I only weigh 140 and my SW Motech 70 Liter dry bag with gear should only add another 40 or so pounds.

Edited by Mescalito
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mescalito said:

Definitely will be doing a lot of desert riding this summer. I will grab a oiled foam filter for my adventure/desert rides and keep the K&N for commuting to work. Thank you for the input. 

On a side note, any advice on how to stiffen the rear shock for luggage? Or does that require going down the road of having to purchase a whole new rear shock? I only weigh 140 and my SW Motech 70 Liter dry bag with gear should only add another 40 or so pounds.

That would be your preload adjustment...the threaded collars on the shock body

• Like 2

Definitely get a foam filter to oil.  For the shock,  at 180 pounds you may get away with adjusting compression clickers.  Most of those bikes should be for about a 160 to 180 pound rider from the factory.   If that doesn't get you where you want it, you can just go up 1 or 2 in spring rate.  Then you swap the spring but keep the shock body.

• Like 2

This place is a wealth of knowledge. Now if I can just figure out where that hose is supposed to go!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mescalito said:

Hello fellow riders, 

I recently re-jetted my carb ('01 DRZ400S) and I noticed a long rubber hose running parallel to my rear shock and down low towards the ground. This was not a hose I disconnected from the carb and I am not sure where or what it is supposed to connect to. Is it possible that this was a vent tube for the stock metal gas tank? I bought the bike with an IMS 4.0 gallon tank.

image.png.b86b523d34f0dd1ae84f62a7bee6c1f6.pngimage.png.714215fdf606e1100d729135b00a742a.png

Most metal tanks have a 'spill' pipe for when you overfill the fuel into the cap cavity. It could be that if it goes up under the tank.

8 minutes ago, ptgarcia said:

Probably the coolant recovery tank, which is missing in the pictures. is the other end attached to the top of the radiator?

I just purchased a used coolant reservoir tank since the bike did not have one when I bought it. Other wise the line was not connected to the radiator.

9 minutes ago, ptgarcia said:

Probably the coolant recovery tank, which is missing in the pictures. is the other end attached to the top of the radiator?

This is what I thought it might be since I don't have the original metal tank.

Just below the cap on the neck of the radiator there is a small drain outlet. This is connected to the missing  over flow tank through a similar looking hose. Do you have a hose on the rad below the cap? 

2 hours ago, Mescalito said:

The air filter is a K&N filter. It came with the bike when I bought it and it think they're around 65 dollars a piece. Are these not quality filters? Or should I be running a No Toil Oil air filter? The bike was already modded with a 3x3 air box cut out and aftermarket exhaust.

Almost Anything is better than KN ,   stock works well ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, npm said:

Just below the cap on the neck of the radiator there is a small drain outlet. This is connected to the missing  over flow tank through a similar looking hose. Do you have a hose on the rad below the cap? 

I just check and I do in fact have the hose under the rad cap and it runs to where the reservoir should be. It makes since why the replacement that I ordered comes with two hoses. One from the radiator for overflow and one along the shock as a breather or vent tube. Since I don't have the reservoir that hose has served no purpose. Thanks agains for the help. 

That long rubber hose could just be the overflow from the battery. Bit unclear but check if your battery is directly above (is on my XC and sons SX) and your battery has an overflow outlet  I'd be surprised if it shouldn't be connected.

19 minutes ago, Gary Higham said:

That long rubber hose could just be the overflow from the battery. Bit unclear but check if your battery is directly above (is on my XC and sons SX) and your battery has an overflow outlet  I'd be surprised if it shouldn't be connected.

I don't believe my DRZ's battery has an overflow. 

5 hours ago, Mescalito said:

Hello fellow riders, 

Is that not just the crankcase breather hose there should be a little spout on the crankcase that it connects too if is it the breather hose

24 minutes ago, AntonioR said:

Is that not just the crankcase breather hose there should be a little spout on the crankcase that it connects too if is it the breather hose

No, not on a drz.

1 hour ago, Gary Higham said:

No, it doesn't work that way on a DRZ.