Landing Technique Help

Hi everyone. I'm still pretty new and goony too riding, and I don't even halve a full year of being in the game behind me. I've started hitting jumps a while ago and for this new season I've promised myself to hit some of the big jumps at my track. So here comes my question. I've been practicing mid air adjustment technique and when I land I always give it gas as I land, so the second I land I gas it. However, I noticed that this has been causing a lot of whisky throttle. Is this incorrect and am I suppose to gas it before landing or am I doing it right and just weak.?

I got into the habit as I was thought that giving it gas before you land stops your suspension from wanting to kick back so much and makes landing a whole lot easier, was I taught wrong?

19 hours ago, Nato52 said:

Hi everyone. I'm still pretty new and goony too riding, and I don't even halve a full year of being in the game behind me. I've started hitting jumps a while ago and for this new season I've promised myself to hit some of the big jumps at my track. So here comes my question. I've been practicing mid air adjustment technique and when I land I always give it gas as I land, so the second I land I gas it. However, I noticed that this has been causing a lot of whisky throttle. Is this incorrect and am I suppose to gas it before landing or am I doing it right and just weak.?

I got into the habit as I was thought that giving it gas before you land stops your suspension from wanting to kick back so much and makes landing a whole lot easier, was I taught wrong?

No, landing on the gas is correct. It doesn't have to be full throttle though, just accelerating is enough. If you're whisky throttling it after landing, you most likely need to work on your body position. You want to be landing in the 'attack' position so you're ready for the next thing as soon as you hit the ground. Be careful not to get back on the bike too much through the air/landing, it makes you pull on the bars as you accelerate away - whisky throttle.

ODB26BGP44BQP3J2TMN5NDYN2E.jpg

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 3

23 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

No, landing on the gas is correct. It doesn't have to be full throttle though, just accelerating is enough. If you're whisky throttling it after landing, you most likely need to work on your body position. You want to be landing in the 'attack' position so you're ready for the next thing as soon as you hit the ground. Be careful not to get back on the bike too much through the air/landing, it makes you pull on the bars as you accelerate away - whisky throttle.

ODB26BGP44BQP3J2TMN5NDYN2E.jpg

Wow Thank you for the clarification. It seems my issue is what you said, not landing in the attack position. I launch in the attack position; However, As I've been practicing moving my bike in the air I've been very aggressive with the movements and forgotten to switch back into attack position before landing. I'll make sure to remember going back into attack position before landing as I practice, thanks for the help! ?

• Like 2

It’s a lot to learn/practice... I liken it to airborne golf on 2 wheels

theres a LOT of stuff to remember... for ME, I find it best to work on no more than 2 aspects of my hideous and unwatchable riding... i yell at me a lot... it helps 

Here’s some recent footage of me at the local MX track

FB46F72D-549F-46C0-AA83-65C7CA4EB562.gif

• Haha 2

On 3/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, Nato52 said:

I've been practicing mid air adjustment technique and when I land I always give it gas as I land, so the second I land I gas it. However, I noticed that this has been causing a lot of whisky throttle. Is this incorrect and am I suppose to gas it before landing or am I doing it right and just weak.?

Just to make certain there’s no confusion, your basic landing technique should find you adding throttle BEFORE you land, not as you land. In other words, generally try not be adding throttle just as the rear tire is making ground contact. Try to apply your throttle slightly before rear wheel contact, for many reasons. 

DEATH_INC has provided good advice. Keep a finger on that clutch lever to save you from Whiskey Throttle. Be safe!

Edited by motrock93b
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

13 hours ago, motrock93b said:

Just to make certain there’s no confusion, your basic landing technique should find you adding throttle BEFORE you land, not as you land. In other words, generally try not be adding throttle just as the rear tire is making ground contact. Try to apply your throttle slightly before rear wheel contact, for many reasons. 

DEATH_IN has provided good advice. Keep a finger on that clutch lever to save you from Whiskey Throttle. Be safe!

Yup, I think your exactly right there. It would only make sense that the impact of a jump would make me whisky throttle with my wrist turned. I was watching a vet ride at my track and noticed he was doing exactly as you said, about a second before impact he would give it a blip and take the shot. I'm going  to try that my next ride and see how it goes. Who knows might even make me faster not having to slam the brakes after every jump! Thanks for the advice ?

• Like 1

Landings are easier if you don't just fall like a rock. So apply some throttle, match your angle to the terrain and have your arms/legs bent to help absorb the shock.

Don't just land, ride away from it and it will be smoother for you and your bike.

Start small and work your way up in both height and distance, good luck

• Like 2