Buying a new out-of-state (CA) 2-stroke. My story.

So, I am now the proud owner of a 2021 KTM 300 XC-W erzbergrodeo.

I thought I'd just post a follow up here for any other Californians who are tempted to buy a bike out of state like I did... read this and be better prepared than I was. It wasn't HARD, it was just time-consuming (as is everything involving the CA DMV).

Buying the bike was the easy part.

I bought my XCW from Gresham Powersports, east of Portland, OR. They were totally cool to deal with. All the paperwork was done remotely. I had to get some signatures notarized and then sent them that paperwork via UPS. Once that was in their hands it was a done deal.

So, last Thursday afternoon, I left Auburn and headed north. Stayed on Southern OR Thursday night and then drove the rest of the way Friday early am. Got to the dealer at about 10:30a. I was all done there and loaded up by 11:30a. Then, I hit the road back to CA - got home about 9:30p. &%$#@! me that's a long ass drive... 1,200 miles in ~30hrs. Rained off & on in both directions.

Got home & rested.

Sunday, I rode the bike @ Mammoth Bar (my local rinky-dink OHV area) for a couple of hours to break it in.

Went to the Auburn DMV today to complete the paperwork. At least they have online appointments now - you can get in (virtual) line via their website and you get notified via text a number then you monitor the webpage to see what position in line you are. Way overdue.

But, &%$#@!. I hate the CA DMV. First I had to actually take the bike in the have the VIN verified - and they won't do it while it's still in the truck. So I unload it. They look at the VIN & engine number and match it to the paperwork/MSO. FFS. Ok. Done. Check.

Next I had to prove to them that the bike was approved for a red sticker (a CA thing) - by providing them a copy (I had to give them a printed copy) of a document from KTM (which I found here: https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/551312/). Of course they could have totally looked at the document online, and even printed it at the DMV.... But, OH, NO... I had to get a printed copy.

Got document copied. Back to DMV. Gave them copy. Paid use-tax, paid sales-tax. Got red sticker. Good until June '23.

Done and dusted.

Did I mention, I &%$#@!ing HATE the DMV?

Now if you bought from a CA dealer, this would all be handled for you. But when I called around CA dealers there were none left in CA...

IMG_2258-2.png

• Like 2

That sucks to hear, man (well, not the new bike but the hassle.) I'm just north of you in Nevada City and I bought a 21 a few months ago. Like you said they were hard to find, but I found one at 3brothers racing down in SoCal. If you had to do it again ask them to ship it. It only cost $305 to have it shipped to my front door and took two days.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:33 AM, Clutch44 said:

That sucks to hear, man (well, not the new bike but the hassle.) I'm just north of you in Nevada City and I bought a 21 a few months ago. Like you said they were hard to find, but I found one at 3brothers racing down in SoCal. If you had to do it again ask them to ship it. It only cost $305 to have it shipped to my front door and took two days.

One of the first things they said was - no, we can't help with shipping.

Yea - I know I spent about $300 in gas and a night in a cheap hotel to go pick it up (and wear and tear on the truck, of course). But, I got to get my bike and no concerns about some unknown shipper damaging it in transit. 

On 3/23/2021 at 2:16 PM, Bogeyman said:

So, I am now the proud owner of a 2021 KTM 300 XC-W erzbergrodeo.

I thought I'd just post a follow up here for any other Californians who are tempted to buy a bike out of state like I did... read this and be better prepared than I was. It wasn't HARD, it was just time-consuming (as is everything involving the CA DMV).

Buying the bike was the easy part.

I bought my XCW from Gresham Powersports, east of Portland, OR. They were totally cool to deal with. All the paperwork was done remotely. I had to get some signatures notarized and then sent them that paperwork via UPS. Once that was in their hands it was a done deal.

So, last Thursday afternoon, I left Auburn and headed north. Stayed on Southern OR Thursday night and then drove the rest of the way Friday early am. Got to the dealer at about 10:30a. I was all done there and loaded up by 11:30a. Then, I hit the road back to CA - got home about 9:30p. &%$#@! me that's a long ass drive... 1,200 miles in ~30hrs. Rained off & on in both directions.

Got home & rested.

Sunday, I rode the bike @ Mammoth Bar (my local rinky-dink OHV area) for a couple of hours to break it in.

Went to the Auburn DMV today to complete the paperwork. At least they have online appointments now - you can get in (virtual) line via their website and you get notified via text a number then you monitor the webpage to see what position in line you are. Way overdue.

But, &%$#@!. I hate the CA DMV. First I had to actually take the bike in the have the VIN verified - and they won't do it while it's still in the truck. So I unload it. They look at the VIN & engine number and match it to the paperwork/MSO. FFS. Ok. Done. Check.

Next I had to prove to them that the bike was approved for a red sticker (a CA thing) - by providing them a copy (I had to give them a printed copy) of a document from KTM (which I found here: https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/attachments/551312/). Of course they could have totally looked at the document online, and even printed it at the DMV.... But, OH, NO... I had to get a printed copy.

Got document copied. Back to DMV. Gave them copy. Paid use-tax, paid sales-tax. Got red sticker. Good until June '23.

Done and dusted.

Did I mention, I &%$#@!ing HATE the DMV?

Now if you bought from a CA dealer, this would all be handled for you. But when I called around CA dealers there were none left in CA...

IMG_2258-2.png

The bottom line is you got a nice sexy bike that is hard to find!! Congrats! I went to southern Cali to get my bike. 

• Helpful 1