Hey guys new here and need help identifing a presumably Chinese Dualsport/roadtrail 250cc? I have attached a couple pictures, any help would be appreciated! Kvmco yes kvmco! Not kymko, kvmco. I know i keep repeating it as trying to identify the thing is doing my head in!!! Have punched kvmco into wikipedia and nothing, nothing online at all. Please chime in with thoughts or ideas, will take more pictures as needed! Cheers

20210323_175106.jpg

20210323_175117.jpg

20210323_175126.jpg

20210323_175139.jpg

Looks like it has the Honda crf230 ish clone engine.  Down by the shifter there should be a series of numbers that will give more information on the engine. 

Sometimes on the head tube of the frame there will be a data plate that shows the factory that actually produced the bike.  I wouldn't spend too much time trying to figure out what kvmco is.  

That's goin to B a Honda XR clone engine say mid 80s of so. That name is the engine manufacturer not the whole bike. And it's KYMCO not (V) found it on my first try, take size, model # and correct name, you should b able to find it.

3 hours ago, markit said:

it's KYMCO not (V)

Hmmmm, sure looks like a V to me...

20210323_175106-1.jpg

Here is some more pictures, it has me stumped? Looks like there is remnents of a base plate? Also the carbie says made in Japan? Cannot find that brand either, I am in Australia by the way?

20210326_112833.jpg

20210326_112913.jpg

20210326_112842.jpg

20210326_112920.jpg

20210326_112931.jpg

Would I go off 10th digit maybe? That would mean its either a 1995 or a 2005? Can rule out 1995, wouldnt be in this condition! So yeah if 10th digit 2005?

I am rebuilding the thing so it is important to find out manufacturer, in order to buy new parts yeah? Or are these things very generic? I.E. be easy enough to find parts not just for the engine but for everything else around the engine??? Or is it a case of too bad, the manufacturer was sued for basically imitating design of other companys and went under??? Silly to think then this thing is kinda rare then, having said that???

The engine number you showed gives us the designation "top" and the production number "bottom".  What we can learn is that it is a 200cc Honda clone OHC CDI ignition with a 5 speed transmission.  The carb you showed is a Chinese version of the PD series Keihin.  Some are better than others, but they are so cheap to buy new that if I suspected any issues I would just replace it.  Search for PZ30 carb.

The serial number shows that it was the 14th engine for this particular series of bikes.  This bike comes from the dark days of Chinese imports when any guy in a van down by the river could order 25 bikes and create his own brand name.  That was often the beginning and the end of said brand name.  Some cheeky fellow probably wanted to name his product KVMCO for a reason. 

My guess is that the bike is from around 2005-2010.  You didn't show or say anything about a proper VIN stamp on the steering tube on frame.

Good news is that you can pretty much find a way to repair, or replace anything you need to get your bike up and running.  The Chinese have an interesting way of just combining available parts to make a bike, so you don't need to try and find KVMCO parts.  Just search for pit bike "enter your part" and see what pops up.  You will usually find what you need.  Sometimes the hardest parts to find on a bike like yours are the seat, and plastics.

The Chinese bikes have become better over the years.  The segment that your bike was aimed for is now where the HAWK style of bike is.

23 minutes ago, chadzu said:

The engine number you showed gives us the designation "top" and the production number "bottom".  What we can learn is that it is a 200cc Honda clone OHC CDI ignition with a 5 speed transmission.  The carb you showed is a Chinese version of the PD series Keihin.  Some are better than others, but they are so cheap to buy new that if I suspected any issues I would just replace it.  Search for PZ30 carb.

The serial number shows that it was the 14th engine for this particular series of bikes.  This bike comes from the dark days of Chinese imports when any guy in a van down by the river could order 25 bikes and create his own brand name.  That was often the beginning and the end of said brand name.  Some cheeky fellow probably wanted to name his product KVMCO for a reason. 

My guess is that the bike is from around 2005-2010.  You didn't show or say anything about a proper VIN stamp on the steering tube on frame.

Good news is that you can pretty much find a way to repair, or replace anything you need to get your bike up and running.  The Chinese have an interesting way of just combining available parts to make a bike, so you don't need to try and find KVMCO parts.  Just search for pit bike "enter your part" and see what pops up.  You will usually find what you need.  Sometimes the hardest parts to find on a bike like yours are the seat, and plastics.

The Chinese bikes have become better over the years.  The segment that your bike was aimed for is now where the HAWK style of bike is.

I had a shop in that time of the new china bikes and sold these wonders of engineering, I would buy 10 bikes and get 4 for parts. They where all 50cc Honda clone's and U could use direct Honda parts on them and i did this many times but still a PIA, put a good carb on then after time the gear box would explode just cheep materials and castings at the time but got better.

Your engine is a weird middle ground of development.  You can see that it uses the old xr200 style of cam chain tensioner, but with the electric start and flywheel CDI pick up of the crf230.  

Posted (edited)

Hang it..

Shop wall art.

No,no,no, not "shop at wallmart"

Hang it in the shop, like art.

Edited by Turn,TheScrew

4 hours ago, David Walden said:

R u saying its a Roketa 250 engine???

No sir, (chadzu) has the best explanation to me of how these Chinese dirt bikes exist. His guidance of how to get parts although it would be a serious PIA most of the time but feasible. Your bike looks like it had so many failures the previous owner(s) gave up and stored it outside without a care in the world whether it lived or died. Frustration(s) seemingly consistent with owning one of these brands. Trust me with barn finds, people in the South just through a bike they aren't willing or have the cash flow to fix under a carport and forget about them. We who have the ability and money love finding them. We buy them at a price that clearly resembles someone finally couldn't give a schit and wanted it gone. Some people just give bikes away, I wish they'd call me.

I personally don't buy bikes that too many parts have gone OEM OBSOLETE. I bought my son a QLink DS200 for 1K, it needed a CARB. A QLink parts distributer was out of Texas. I'm not sure they exist anymore. In my best knowledge of your so called 250cc, its really a 225cc engine based on data pages listed on the sites that sell the "HAWK" 250's or any other 250 listed on those sites. Unless you buy a modern design water cooled engine in the Chinese dirt bike industry. It will not be a true 250cc engine.

Going back to the educated theory (chadzu) presented. You can repair the bike. It will be a long road I suppose but feasible. His wisdom brings me closer to purchasing a PRO-X or other brand of 125cc 19/16 larger wheel size Chinese dirt bike. But I'm still a little way of, those SSR's have finally showed up at a dealership 21 miles from me. Another TT Member (mcracer972) commented that dealership Parts Department's can get repair part(s) for SSR. What irritates me is SSR won't allow On-Line OEM Stores to provide parts ordering support. So I'm in a dilemma of holding out or not to wait. Luckily I have a RM125 that runs perfect, so there is no down-time currently if I feel like going for a ride.

I personally want to buy 16ct SYX Moto Holeshot 50cc 2-strokes. Number 4 sets of them 1,2,3,4. Run 4 motos. Then have all the 1's take on each other, then the 2's, then the 3's, then the 4's. Then run a finale moto 1 through 4 lined-up and give out 4 trophy(s) 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I'll provide the bikes for moms and dads who want to get their kids in the sport of MX but can't afford a dirt bike for their kids. Just wishful thinking but that's how much I love this sport and how much I love to support people who don't have the funds to make it happen.  

This is a Lifan GY200 knock off. Kymco did make "dirt bike" motors for the then BMW owned Husqvarna. I had one (2011 TE449) and the motor/transmission produced no problems ever.