Daniel Jackson

Xr400 exhaust options?

Hi all

what are people running exhaust wise on xr400’s?

we are struggling to find a ful system.

any ideas help appreciated ūüĎć

My $.02. It is my experience that with a factory stock engine, the stock muffler with the baffle removed is difficult to improve upon. Most usually, an aftermarket system only makes the exhaust louder and robs a bit of low end torque. 

• Helpful 1

On 4/4/2021 at 1:49 PM, creeky said:

My $.02. It is my experience that with a factory stock engine, the stock muffler with the baffle removed is difficult to improve upon. Most usually, an aftermarket system only makes the exhaust louder and robs a bit of low end torque. 

I can concur with that

The problem with the XR400 is not the power that the engine makes, but the need to improve the suspension (correct springs and revalve) to get the chassis to perform

The engine has enough power in stock form (exhaust and carb), it's let down by the soft front end and harsh rear shock

+1 on all the previous comments.  Unless you commit to doing some significant engine work, the pipe alone on these bikes does very little.   Considering the cost of 4T pipe systems these days, I'd be reluctant to suggest doing it unless you found a system used locally or on ebay.... and then its mostly just a sound producer without a lot of motor mods. 

I've owned a couple of 400's as well as other XRs over the years.  Ran the FMF full system on one too.   That and XR's only seemed to be the two most regularly run pipes.

Buddy built a great one with full system, high compression, cams, pumper carb, and suspension.  It ripped for an XR400, but was still a XR400 and would pale in comparison to any modern 350, 450, or 500.   Lot of money IMO.   

Not sure the year of your bike, but the early ones came with less of a baffle.  FInd one used or remove yours for sound if wanted.  Should still be some threads around here  on TT that describe it and the year changes to the exhaust.  Get the suspension dialed, remove the baffle if you have one/want more noise, and look for a pumper carb at most.  

The XR400 is a fantastic bike.  Fantastic for its simplicity and hammer like reliability.   You can spend thousands trying to make it something different, but in the end, best investment is just enjoying it for what it is.  

Just my experience and opinion, others may vary.   

Edited by Captain.Olives