Gas sequence for landing?

Hello everyone. I feel like I've been very back and forth with this topic and I'm trying to get a dedicated answer for it. Essentially I am a novice at riding, I only have been doing it for 1/2 a year and have been practicing jumping a lot. Everything for jumping seems very straight forward except for gas sequence for the landing. These are the three sequences I have heard of:

1.Gas it the second bike touches the ground (what I originally did for jumping)

2.Gas it in the air then let off gas for landing

3.Gas it before landing and keep gassing for the landing and let off when you want.

I've talked to a lot of people and the answers are very mixed. The only thing I've really figured out is the first sequence is wrong because you don't really get time to get your rear wheel spinning and it'll send your wrist to heaven with one wrong move. I plan to ride this Friday, my second ride of the spring and plan to completely rework my jumping technique for the better of me. If anybody could give me advice on what I should do or what they do that would be great! 🙂

All three will work, every jump has a different situation and nobody can give you a one size fits all answer. Best thing is practice over and over, if you are on a track with other riders then watch the faster guys and try to duplicate what they are doing.

I see you like Ronnie Mack so I would avoid emulating his style. 😂

Edited by T.T. Rider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are two things to consider, how harsh is the landing and how hard are you trying to accelerate after. If you are just trying to smooth out the jump throttle as you land is fine. If you want to accelerate hard after landing that’s when you rev out the bike before landing. Revving in the air is usually to adjust the pitch of the bike in the air.

On 4/5/2021 at 4:04 AM, Nato52 said:

Hello everyone. I feel like I've been very back and forth with this topic and I'm trying to get a dedicated answer for it. Essentially I am a novice at riding, I only have been doing it for 1/2 a year and have been practicing jumping a lot. Everything for jumping seems very straight forward except for gas sequence for the landing. These are the three sequences I have heard of:

1.Gas it the second bike touches the ground (what I originally did for jumping)

2.Gas it in the air then let off gas for landing

3.Gas it before landing and keep gassing for the landing and let off when you want.

I've talked to a lot of people and the answers are very mixed. The only thing I've really figured out is the first sequence is wrong because you don't really get time to get your rear wheel spinning and it'll send your wrist to heaven with one wrong move. I plan to ride this Friday, my second ride of the spring and plan to completely rework my jumping technique for the better of me. If anybody could give me advice on what I should do or what they do that would be great! 🙂

As long as there's no reason not to, then the answer is 3. But just before landing. Exceptions would be if there's a corner or anything else you need to slow for.

• Like 1

OP I have been working on this as well, so I feel your frustration...

as a L1 NOOB (me) I must tell you that if you’re on the gas hard when you land, be prepared... to me, it feels like a dumped clutch... as in the bike will want to run out from under you

i also agree with the fact that each jump is different... the timing (again, for me) is difficult since I can’t tell how high I am... therefore I don’t know when I’m going to touch down

one more thing (I’ve done several times) is to make sure you’re on your toes/balls of feet so you don’t stomp the rear brake upon landing... it makes for a very unpleasant landing

have fun, ride hard, and be safe!

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

As long as there's no reason not to, then the answer is 3. But just before landing. Exceptions would be if there's a corner or anything else you need to slow for.

For number three I've been seeing basically when you can, land on gas, obviously there is times when you can't, but a quick question about this, could this break my wrist? It my last question and I've just been wondering if hitting the impact of a jump with my wrist turned for the throttle could make it go to heaven.

Edited by Nato52

gas in the air is only for the control. look at ronnie mac when he does his air wheelie, he has it pinned. If you are nose diving then give it gas and if you are too far back step on the foot break. you will get the hang of it, just keep practicing

Yes, I've fully figured out what I need to do, if there's a obstacle after the landing give it gas before land and take it. Also I was always confused by the term landing on the gas but it literally means just straight up landing while your on the gas 😂. I'm just concerned that my wrist will break from landing with my wrist turned but I'm definitely going to try these new techniques Friday.

It seems like, in most cases, I'm trying to be on the gas with a constant throttle leaving the jump face, but then I feel like I have to back off the throttle a bit to keep it from over-revving in the air, and then I try to still be a bit on throttle as I land?

Edited by SlowDinoDog
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

It seems like, in most cases, I'm trying to be on the gas with a constant throttle leaving the jump face, but then I feel like I have to back off the throttle a bit to keep it from over-revving in the air, and then I try to still be a bit on throttle as I land?

Perfect 👌

I chop the throttle almost immediately after take off in a good situation. Tap the brake for a slight nose down, then open throttle on impact. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel like I'm dumb, I just thought now that I can just extend my wrist and turn so my wrist is in the right position. Sometimes I wonder how something so obvious can just fly by my head, like uncle Ron flying to the moon💨.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 8:15 AM, Turn,TheScrew said:

Perfect 👌

I chop the throttle almost immediately after take off in a good situation. Tap the brake for a slight nose down, then open throttle on impact. 

The break tap is a correction. By that term correction it is indicated there was a mistake. Body position should eliminate the need for this to be part of your plan. While this is a good tool to have a better technique on approach will reduce this to minimally used. It is fun to send the front a little high and break tap the correction but probably not the fastest way. If you’re doing this your probably not staying as  low as you could. 2 cents from the peanut gallery. Not trying to be argumentative just sharing perspective with hopes it helps. Take care. 

1 hour ago, motojunkiedan said:

The break tap is a correction. By that term correction it is indicated there was a mistake. Body position should eliminate the need for this to be part of your plan. While this is a good tool to have a better technique on approach will reduce this to minimally used. It is fun to send the front a little high and break tap the correction but probably not the fastest way. If you’re doing this your probably not staying as  low as you could. 2 cents from the peanut gallery. Not trying to be argumentative just sharing perspective with hopes it helps. Take care. 

I hear what you are saying,  but I don't totally agree.

If I am on a 125, coming up on a 100ft jump with 60 ft to get the speed, I'm going to be 100% throttle and going to be taking off nose high. I don't care what position you are in.

On a 450 I could probably just send it brakeless. 

It is just another tool to have in the toolbox.

I have also noticed the brake tap is used WAY more on the west coast. East coast riders don't do it near as much, and their style is lame to watch. 😆 🤣 

I see this is a much debated topic, so I'm out now.

Edited by Turn,TheScrew

9 hours ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

I hear what you are saying,  but I don't totally agree.

If I am on a 125, coming up on a 100ft jump with 60 ft to get the speed, I'm going to be 100% throttle and going to be taking off nose high. I don't care what position you are in.

On a 450 I could probably just send it brakeless. 

It is just another tool to have in the toolbox.

I have also noticed the brake tap is used WAY more on the west coast. East coast riders don't do it near as much, and their style is lame to watch. 😆 🤣 

I see this is a much debated topic, so I'm out now.

I agree with under the circumstances you mentioned the brake tap is certainly called for. I agree it is fun to do and watch. From a style point the break tap or anti whip are badass.