JoshDough 28

How to street legalize an ATV in Illinois?

I'm desperately trying to legalize an Atv I have in this crap state. What steps to I need to take and how do I go about this? Besides the hardware and whatnot of course. I don't have title yet but I figured I could just apply for it and possibly change the title from ATV to something else(IDK how titles really work). Would that work or should I just send it with out of state plates or something. My goal overall is to make street legal quads for any state so I'm trying not to do out of state plates but will if have to for now. I'd like to call them Motorquads but that's besides the point. I'm just trying to learn everything I can and get others insight on it. 

What I've learned so far:

The "IL 2020 Motorcycle Operator Manual". On page 42 it starts "Three-Wheel/Four-Wheel Rider Skill Test". On page 47 it goes over motorcycle/classification criteria. The first section is motorcycle: 150cc and above(two, three, or four wheel). Which I interpreted that you can and there are 4 wheeled "motorcycles". The beginning of the book goes on telling and showing you how to ride your machine and some of the laws regarding it. 

Illinois Vehicle Code 625 ILCS 5

(625 ILCS 5/1-147) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-147)
    Sec. 1-147. Motorcycle. Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than 3 wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding an autocycle or tractor.
(Source: P.A. 98-777, eff. 1-1-15.)

(625 ILCS 5/1-146) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1-146)
    Sec. 1-146. Motor vehicle. Every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails, except for vehicles moved solely by human power, motorized wheelchairs, low-speed electric bicycles, and low-speed gas bicycles.

What I take from these two sections is: 1, I wouldn't be able to claim its a motorcycle because it has 4 wheels and in the code it says travel on but not more than 3 wheels. 2, I could possibly and very likely claim it as a motor vehicle since it has no clear restrictions just as long as its self propelled(which a quad is). Like I said IDK how titles work. 

I will continue editing and adding to this as I continue to research and learn more!

I don't ride quads, but I did escape from that hell hole we call Illinois after 40 years of misery. I still own a business there and my experience with the state of Illinois leads me to  believe there's not a chance in hell of them letting you put that thing on the street, if that's your goal. 

Sorry man. I'm not trying to throw cold water on your dreams, but IL has just become more restrictive over the years especially when it comes to outdoor motorsports, and the DMV is riddled with incompetence and over reach. 

If it were me, I'd probably have my brother or friend that lives in another state, title it, plate it, then sell it to me in IL. I have no idea if that would work, but at least there wouldn't be anything illegal about it. 

Good Luck. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, X-Wrestler said:

I don't ride quads, but I did escape from that hell hole we call Illinois after 40 years of misery. I still own a business there and my experience with the state of Illinois leads me to  believe there's not a chance in hell of them letting you put that thing on the street, if that's your goal. 

Sorry man. I'm not trying to throw cold water on your dreams, but IL has just become more restrictive over the years especially when it comes to outdoor motorsports, and the DMV is riddled with incompetence and over reach. 

If it were me, I'd probably have my brother or friend that lives in another state, title it, plate it, then sell it to me in IL. I have no idea if that would work, but at least there wouldn't be anything illegal about it. 

Good Luck. 

I looked up the vin for my quad and it has absolutely no previous title work or registration. Vehiclehistory.com is the site i used and under vehicle type, it says motorcycle. So i might have a good thing going there but since there's never been title work, it'll be harder for me to get a title as I don't have bill of sale either. NO, its not stolen. I looked up the vin on multiple sites to confirm it wasn't stolen. I have hope that I can do it, just have to get some more research done and do it right and legally. I can get out of state plates and whatnot by going through dirtlegal.com but I'd rather save that for a last resort.

Edited by JoshDough 28

4 minutes ago, JoshDough 28 said:

I looked up the vin for my quad and it has absolutely no previous title work or registration. Vehiclehistory.com is the site i used and under vehicle type, it says motorcycle. So i might have a good thing going there but since there's never been title work, it'll be harder for me to get a title as I don't have bill of sale either. NO, its not stolen. I looked up the vin on multiple sites to confirm it wasn't stolen. I have hope that I can do it, just have to get some more research done and do it right and legally. I can get out of state plates and whatnot by going through dirtlegal.com but I'd rather save that for a last resort.

Guess it'll come down to how much of a headache you want to deal with. If Dirtlegal.com is willing to jump through the hoops on your behalf for a fee, I'd start with them. I hate dealing with all that crap.

• Like 1