Indian eFTR Jr. electric motorcycle: Sacrilegious or awesome?

gallery_6_1.png

image.png
Designed after the iconic Indian FTR750 race bike

image.png
Low mode it tops out at about 10 mph, and on high mode it’s rated to 15 mph

image.png
Battery life (roughly 140 minutes on the low throttle setting and 65 minutes on high

feature_5_1.jpg

image.png
Rated to hold up to 175 pounds

feature_1_1.jpg

image.png

Pricing? Not bad! Starts at $749.00.

Emotional appeal video from Indian:

Thoughts? I like it! I'm guessing that a few grand dads are noodlin' on this as a gift for interested grand kids. Better than a damn iPhone and costs about the same!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, k.g said:

Were I the Indian company, I'd be embarrassed to put my name on the side of that thing. It looks more like a $75 razor from walmart.

Kid in my neighborhood has a clapped our Razor bike. Kid rips that thing! He actually has some skills. And, doesn't give two youknowwhats that it's cheap and clapped out. Looks like he's having a good time when I see him. I think we adults put too many biases out there.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bryan II said:

Kid in my neighborhood has a clapped our Razor bike. Kid rips that thing! He actually has some skills. And, doesn't give two youknowwhats that it's cheap and clapped out. Looks like he's having a good time when I see him. I think we adults put too many biases out there.

I'm not critical of the existence of the cheap bike, but the quality and the name on the side is embarrassing. 

• Like 1

I think its pretty cool and for the age group that its designed for it should do good.  The only thing that I don't like is that stupid "half grip" throttle, not sure who designed those or even why, but a full grip Magura should take its place (yea, Magura makes full grip throttles for electric bikes).

Anyone taking odds on how many adults will be seen riding these around Daytona next year at speed weeks??

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 6:58 AM, Bryan II said:

I don’t know Bryan, maybe at 62 I’m just too cynical but when the cheap and clapped out thing that he doesn’t give two youknowwhats about breaks for good, he’ll probably just discard it and move on to something else that he doesn’t have to learn much about.
I lament the passing of the days when the neighborhood kids would gather in a driveway on a Saturday morning with their  Bonanza‘s, Taco’s and the other water pipe framed minibikes and argue the performance capabilities between Briggs & Strattons and Tecumsehs.  Then of course the wildman with the 10 horse MacCullach would show up and silence everybody. 
They (We) were proud and passionate about what they had and were on their way to learning something.  
Will these readymade modern day iterations spark the same amount of intellectual curiosity on how to improve or refine?

Maybe it’s just because I watched “On Any Sunday Revisited” for the first time last night and I’m feeling melancholy.  
I’m also on my 3rd cup of good coffee.  And it’s snowing so I can’t ride my new ftr Tracker. 

Yeah. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1BigPig said:

I don’t know Bryan, maybe at 62 I’m just too cynical but when the cheap and clapped out thing that he doesn’t give two youknowwhats about breaks for good, he’ll probably just discard it and move on to something else that he doesn’t have to learn much about.
I lament the passing of the days when the neighborhood kids would gather in a driveway on a Saturday morning with their  Bonanza‘s, Taco’s and the other water pipe framed minibikes and argue the performance capabilities between Briggs & Strattons and Tecumsehs.  Then of course the wildman with the 10 horse MacCullach would show up and silence everybody. 
They (We) were proud and passionate about what they had and were on their way to learning something.  
Will these readymade modern day iterations spark the same amount of intellectual curiosity on how to improve or refine?

Maybe it’s just because I watched “On Any Sunday Revisited” for the first time last night and I’m feeling melancholy.  
I’m also on my 3rd cup of good coffee.  And it’s snowing so I can’t ride my new ftr Tracker. 

Yeah. 

Kids are kids. Kids into moto now will do the same thing we did back in the day no matter what they're riding, electric piece of crap, electric spendy KTM/Husky, gas powered piece of crap, gas powered spendy dirt bike. Their were plenty of cheap crappy brands back in the day, same as now.

We couldn't afford nice minibikes and dirt bikes in my neighborhood so we rode the wheels off anything we could get our hands on. Some of the kids in town had killer Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki minibikes, they loved them too of course. We were mighty jealous.

I do agree that the electric minibikes will help get more kids (and their parents) into the sport, they are hella fun and low maintenance. The kids love them.

Re that Indian mini e-dirt bike, I'm no fan of faux whatever (going back to 60's & 70's muscle cars with fake air scoops), so it looks ridiculous to me, but if it works ok and the kids like it, its all good.

Edited by Woods_Rider

5 hours ago, Woods_Rider said:

Kids are kids. Kids into moto now will do the same thing we did back in the day no matter what they're riding, electric piece of crap, electric spendy KTM/Husky, gas powered piece of crap, gas powered spendy dirt bike. Their were plenty of cheap crappy brands back in the day, same as now.

We couldn't afford nice minibikes and dirt bikes in my neighborhood so we rode the wheels off anything we could get our hands on. Some of the kids in town had killer Yamaha, Honda, or Suzuki minibikes, they loved them too of course. We were mighty jealous.

I do agree that the electric minibikes will help get more kids (and their parents) into the sport, they are hella fun and low maintenance. The kids love them.

Re that Indian mini e-dirt bike, I'm no fan of faux whatever (going back to 60's & 70's muscle cars with fake air scoops), so it looks ridiculous to me, but if it works ok and the kids like it, its all good.

Maybe you’re right. We sure as heck not going back “to the way it was”. 

I personally put these into the same category as those old 5hp briggs powered mini-bikes that Sears and everyone else sold back in the mid 70's, which were only "slightly" fast than this eBike. 

The big difference here is that back then the cops were constantly chasing us and impounding the bikes from the riders that actually stopped.  With this eBike no one is going to get chased and that means more riders will work their way back into the two wheeled world.  So thanks to bikes like this I honestly believe that there will be more motorcycles on the road 25 years from now than there is today.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zig06 said:

I personally put these into the same category as those old 5hp briggs powered mini-bikes that Sears and everyone else sold back in the mid 70's, which were only "slightly" fast than this eBike. 

The big difference here is that back then the cops were constantly chasing us and impounding the bikes from the riders that actually stopped.  With this eBike no one is going to get chased and that means more riders will work their way back into the two wheeled world.  So thanks to bikes like this I honestly believe that there will be more motorcycles on the road 25 years from now than there is today.

I never ran that one time I was riding my YZ125 to my buddy's house, turned the corner and there was a country sheriff sitting there. That would be young, foolish and a great story for the kids and grandkids. :ph34r:

• Like 2

These came out / were announced  quite a few months ago.

They are generic pieces of junk, sold under a fair few other names, that Indian has just got FTR replica bodywork done for, and painted it accordingly. Do a tiny bit of research for yourselves for the source of these horrible things. 

That a company that makes high quality Motorcycles sources such a dreadful thing, instead of, at the least, finding a far better 'base' to create a stepping stone to their brand, baffles me.

Seriously, look how thrown together it is, echoing the looks and architecture of the ancient old 'lawn mower bikes' of the 60s and early seventies , with just a (not bad) FTR rep seat / tank facsimile.

Indian should have, could have, made a bit more of an effort. Get kids into riding, on decent things, not just outsourced junk. Simple, well priced things, can be made well, and to look decent. 

• Like 2