Sign in to follow this  

How much shock sag??

Stock '03 DRZ suspension, 180lbs rider, checked my sag and its at 110 mm. Is this correct?

I thought so. Looks like a pain to get at the shock collars, any suggestions to make life easier? Any idea how many turns on the spring collar make up 20mm?

remove pass side panel and you can get at them with long punch. as far as how many turn for 20mm... alot. -jamie

sorry for the dumb question but "sag" is the mesurement that the rear suspension drops when you sit on the bike?

Checked my sag after having a shop install a 5.7 spring (235 lb. rider) and it is 70mm. So....would it be best to loosen (reduce) the pre load on the spring to increase the sag travel to 90 and then adjust the clickers to the terrain. Am I totally off base in my thinking? Eddie?

question: with all my gear I am 210lb rider. What springs should I buy for the front and rear of a 04 DRZ400S. What is the procesdure for setting the front or do I need too..

Thanks

question: with all my gear I am 210lb rider. What springs should I buy for the front and rear of a 04 DRZ400S. What is the procesdure for setting the front or do I need too..

Thanks

Hit up http://www.racetech.com - you can enter in your bike, weight, skill level, terrain, etc. and they'll recommend spring weights for ya :thumbsup:

Setting Shock Spring Sag

Hopefully you have the correct spring for your weight. To determine this factor we must set the sag on the shock. To have the sag set correctly is as important as having the correct spring. So please take time to carry out this operation correctly.

Put your bike on a stand with the back wheel off the ground and measure from a point close to the rear wheel axle to a point on the rear fender slightly forward of the vertical.

sag1.GIF

Measurement A ... (e.g.) 610mm

(:thumbsup: Race Sag

sag3.GIF

Take the bike off the stand and put on level ground. Sit on the bike in a central position with all your kit on with one foot on a footrest and the other on the floor just for balance not weight bearing. You will need someone to take the measurement from the same two points.

Measurement B ... (e.g.) 510mm

610 - 510 = 100, (Race Sag : 100mm)

© Static Sag

sag2.GIF

The static sag is measured when the rider is off the bike and it is standing on its own free weight. You measure the same two points again, and then subtract C from A this will give you the static sag.

Measurement C ... (e.g.) 585mm

610 - 585 = 25, (Static Sag : 25mm)

Static Sag

Static sag should be set between . Midway between these measurements is a good starting point

125 - 500cc 15 - 30mm

60 - 100cc 15-25mm

Race Sag

Race sag should be set at between 25 - 30% of the bikes' full suspension travel.

125 - 500cc 90 - 100mm

80 - 100cc 80 - 90mm

60cc 50 - 60mm