6 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

Like cutting out? Not getting on the power? My low end is extremely smooth and powerful, I doubt mines bad 

Listen to the video. It's subtle - many people don't even know they have an issue. But the bike is running rich - fuel mileage will suffer, increased change of plug fouling, and some theorize that the extra fuel washes some of the oil from the top end, causing premature wear. It's definitely something to be mindful of.  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, TomTopDog12 said:

How much are CCPS sensors and what’s a tail tell sign they’re going out?

RMATV sells them for around $40ea, but guys have been reporting they are out of stock nearly everywhere.
You have 2 on the bike, same sensor. One acts as a Barometer Pressure sensor and the other Crank Case Pressure. The Crank Case is the one that seems to fail (for reasons lot of guys are still investigating / testing). Easy check most guys do is swap location of the sensors - if that results in the bike running "clean" or better, they know the sensor that was reading Crank Case Pressure is faulty.

Signs of a faulty sensor seem to be stutturing / blubbery throttle response at low throttle opening, fouling plugs, spooge out the sliencer, and/or the engine stalling at idle - seems it can be one or a combo of these.

ETA - was beat while I was typing. Yes, what they already said :cheers:

Edited by number9

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2021 at 1:02 AM, Grnminivan said:

This Friday I will be lucky enough to pick up a new Gas Gas EX300.  I have done a tone of reading here and I want to see if I am missing anything as I start my journey with this bike.

here is what I have gathered so far:

1. Be diligent on your starting process and let the bike warm up.

2.  Get a spare CCPS as soon as they become available.

3.  Power valve may need to be adjusted ( I have a red spring coming already).

4.  Be mindful if the bike is running to lean.

5.  Figure out what spark arrestor to use. New end cap or a new silencer.

6. Gas and go beyond that.

I am super stoked to be getting back on a 2 stroke again after many years of riding a 4 stroke.  Bike will mainly be used as a play bike, a little trail and a little track.

Is there anything I am missing?

After almost 2 years of owning  a TPI bike, I've come up with a comprehensive system along with a checklist to go through every single time I ride.  See below.

• Press starter button
  • Ride bike

I provide this checklist as an iOS or Android app to ensure you get the maximum enjoyment out of your TPI for only $19.99 per month.  But if you act now and join at the Elite level for only $39.99 a month I'll also include a comprehensive shutdown checklist.  But wait!  That's not all.  Act now and I'll throw in this multi-purpose tool for both starting and shutting down your KTM TPI bike with ease.  Act fast, operators are standing by.  This is a limited time offer.

finger.jpg.867daf61f0c27ad93ce6f55c9191fadf.jpg

Joking aside...  They really are easier to live with than a carb'd bike in my opinion.  Just don't twist the throttle when you start them.  Use the cold start knob under 50F especially if you let it idle to warm up.    Warm it up or don't.   But either way just like any 2-stroke, carb or TPI, go a little easy for the first 5 minutes.  All two strokes are susceptible to cold seizures if you press the starter and pin it.   And all 2-strokes run a little funky until you get some heat into the cylinder and pipe.  TPI is no different and probably even a little more cold blooded with rich mapping until the coolant comes up to temp.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 3

On 5/4/2021 at 3:38 PM, Doc_d said:

After almost 2 years of owning  a TPI bike, I've come up with a comprehensive system along with a checklist to go through every single time I ride.  See below.

• Press starter button
  • Ride bike

I provide this checklist as an iOS or Android app to ensure you get the maximum enjoyment out of your TPI for only $19.99 per month.  But if you act now and join at the Elite level for only $39.99 a month I'll also include a comprehensive shutdown checklist.  But wait!  That's not all.  Act now and I'll throw in this multi-purpose tool for both starting and shutting down your KTM TPI bike with ease.  Act fast, operators are standing by.  This is a limited time offer.

finger.jpg.867daf61f0c27ad93ce6f55c9191fadf.jpg

Joking aside...  They really are easier to live with than a carb'd bike in my opinion.  Just don't twist the throttle when you start them.  Use the cold start knob under 50F especially if you let it idle to warm up.    Warm it up or don't.   But either way just like any 2-stroke, carb or TPI, go a little easy for the first 5 minutes.  All two strokes are susceptible to cold seizures if you press the starter and pin it.   And all 2-strokes run a little funky until you get some heat into the cylinder and pipe.  TPI is no different and probably even a little more cold blooded with rich mapping until the coolant comes up to temp.

Doc

Your list matches mine! Also had mine almost 2 years. Runs great. Have not had to change anything but oil, tires, chain and air filter. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 1:38 PM, Doc_d said:

• Press starter button
  • Ride bike

You weren't specific enough about the order of operation

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steveatpa said:

You weren't specific enough about the order of operation

Sorry, no refunds.

Doc

• Like 1

That’s the same list as mine. Except even after 100 hours, I’m still running the 101 map on the original top end  (OMG, KTM’s huge mistake in this map should have meant certain death by now!) 😲

I do twist the throttle when I start it. 

I do blip the throttle right after it starts. 

i usually start it and immediately take off on a slow ride, without letting it idle to warm up. 

I have never used the cold start knob, ever. 

never fouled a plug. 

bike runs great. 

people need to quit reading this crap on the internet, relax, and go ride. 

• Like 3

I've had my 300 TPI since September. I pull it off my carrier and start it. Then I get into my riding gear. Then I ride it. Its great. I love the TPI compared to my 2017 300 XCW with carb.

BTW: CCP is Crank Case Pressure sensor. Its a commodity Continental/VDO part. But they are out of stock nearly everywhere.