Almost There..

Hey Guys!

So I've recently purchased an 08 Drz400SM with 25000kms, knowing that it was having some problems running but thought i would give it a go to see if I could fix it. The bike was sitting for two years because it was starting to blow white smoke a lil bit and he didn't care to fix it.. I used to ride with him when I had my gsxr and knew the bike ran well. 

Anyways.. I've replaced all fluids, air filter, spark plug, cleaned carb, and its still smoking rather heavy.. it's got all the power in the world, and may just be the most fun I've had on a bike but it's a little unsettling when you know you are burning oil.. I've attached a photo of the spark plug I replaced tonight. What are the most common issues for burning oil the Z sees? Head Gasket, Valves + Seals, Piston Rings? Also in need of a owners manual for the girl.. 

20210429_195456.jpg

20210429_195037.jpg

20210428_201948.jpg

overfull with oil is also another possibility.

Also that plug looks like it hasn't been installed correctly. the crush washer is still proud. Torque wrench or NGK have a page on plug installation using angles.

I know this because my apprentice recently snapped off a plug in his mates toyota leaving only the bottom half/ threads in the head so I was looking around on NGK's site.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dmouse said:

White smoke is usually coolant, not oil

Bingo!!  You need to smell that smoke and see if it is really oil that is being burnt. Oil make a blueish smoke, coolant smells different and makes a white smoke. Plug looks normal to me. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dad2u said:

Bingo!!  You need to smell that smoke and see if it is really oil that is being burnt. Oil make a blueish smoke, coolant smells different and makes a white smoke. Plug looks normal to me. 

I originally thought it was coolant! Although after putting 300km the coolant level hasn't changed the slightest. The oil level won't touch the dipstick(suzuki recommended level check)

2 hours ago, Griffen Stochmal said:

The oil level won't touch the dipstick(suzuki recommended level check)

Try going for a ride and get the motor good and warm, then park it for a couple of minutes and then check your oil level with the bike upright off the kickstand