PASTRANA GNCC THIS WEEKEND

At least he's guaranteed to beat all the Yamahas.  He may not be the fastest, but I'm certain he'll be the quickest.  Or did I get that backwards?  I wonder if he'll run the airshock?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I hope he does well, he brings excitement wherever he competes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mxaniac said:

At least he's guaranteed to beat all the Yamahas.  He may not be the fastest, but I'm certain he'll be the quickest.  Or did I get that backwards?  I wonder if he'll run the airshock?

So you think he will finish? A couple years ago at the FLA GNCC he pulled off after like a hour with blisters. I won't be surprised if he pulls off again. He's already gotten what he was after.

• Confused 1

im suprised hes not on a Suzuki. i think he will finish. cool that hes on a 2 stroke though. 

1 hour ago, indy rider said:

So you think he will finish? A couple years ago at the FLA GNCC he pulled off after like a hour with blisters. I won't be surprised if he pulls off again. He's already gotten what he was after.

Those sand gncc and harescramble races are the most punishing. Constant whoops, constant work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, indy rider said:

I'm not sure I understand why he and for that matter Sipes does this.  I think he sees his name as a brand that needs promoted.  When he does things like this he generates a lot of excitement and gets his name out there.  I don't see him going out and training to the point where he can run his admittedly fast pace for an entire event.  That being the case I'd not bank on him finishing.

I may be misreading it all though, what's your take?

• Like 1

Is someone who used to be that good, only a fast B rider when they aren't training?

3 hours ago, Mongo134 said:

He's been on KTMs for well over a year+ now.

Yep. Loved his Suzukis but was getting harder and harder finding parts to rebuild them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mxaniac said:

I'm not sure I understand why he and for that matter Sipes does this.  I think he sees his name as a brand that needs promoted.  When he does things like this he generates a lot of excitement and gets his name out there.  I don't see him going out and training to the point where he can run his admittedly fast pace for an entire event.  That being the case I'd not bank on him finishing.

He normally sits in his Subaru for long periods. 

My guess is Covid-19 made it impossible to schedule Nitro Circus shows months in advance. No audience, no revenue. 

Travis has time on his hands.  A few months ago, he was riding with some MX riders, informal training. 

What could be more insane than a racer with a really beat up body racing GNCC for hours... Challenge Accepted!

Sipes is the modern Malcolm Smith, riding a wide variety of race events.  

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

8 hours ago, mxaniac said:

I feel Pastrana is just having fun/brand promoting. I feel Sipes is trying to be something like "the most well rounded rider" by competing in as many disciplines as possible.

Ryan is a career racer, Travis is an entertainer.

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1

Pastrana and Sipes raced Sportsman A in the morning race.

Stew Baylor won the afternoon race.  He did the signature bike flip.  That guy is an animal, looked like he just got done with a morning walk.

• Like 3

I don’t care about results at this point. He can always hold his head high about the fact that there will NEVER be another him

• Like 4

Travis at a GNCC is good for the sport too.  He's always a great interview.  Sipes reminds me of "the guy" in every riding group that just outclasses the rest of us, but is an absolute great person to have in your group.  You always look forward to him being there, no matter how bad the rest of us are outclassed... lol

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, Zinergy said:

Those sand gncc and harescramble races are the most punishing. Constant whoops, constant work.

So is Lorettas.  I was like, OMG, it's so over ridden, all whoops... cool, here comes a rocky creek section.  Nope, rocks get whooped out too.  Brutal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, Zinergy said:

So was the course at Ironman (Hoosier).  It's a constant unrelenting beating.  You'd be better off leaving your seat at home.

Edited by redrider144
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:25 AM, mxaniac said:

I'm pretty sure Pastrami is beyond having to promote his brand.  I was talking to a few divers this past weekend and mentioned I was excited to get home to watch the supercross race Saturday night.  One of the guy asks if that Pastrana guy is racing.  Another chimed in about how cool his backflips are.  I told them no, he retired over 10 years ago from racing and that Webb and Roczen were battling for the c'ship.  The two divers looked at me with blank stares when I mentioned them.

• Like 2