Numbness/tingling/pain on bottoms of feet and palms of hands

I first noticed condition a few years ago while jogging. About 2 miles into a run the lateral plantar area of right foot went numb and within a few minutes the same area of left foot went numb. The symptoms relieved the next day. I tried to run again a week later and symptoms returned. By the end of summer, the symptoms were getting worse and lasting longer so I stopped running altogether and switched to bicycle for workouts. At first cycling did not reproduce the issue, however within a month they returned but not as intense as with running. I decided to take the winter off from these activities and give it all a rest. After about 2 months the symptoms were gone.

The following spring the neuropathy returned with activity, but with more intensity. However, it would come and go. Sometimes within minutes. Went back and forth with rest / relief/ back to activities but conditions worsened over time and a numbness and tingling in palms of both hands have started as well. Fast forward to present. All has advanced and is continuous now but varies in intensity throughout the day.. Even walking short distances has become painful, standing and sitting aggravate it, running even a little sends it off the chart, ridding isn’t bad but two days after it comes on with a vengeance.

Over the last two years I have had MANY X rays, MRIs of lumbar, cervical spine, and head, ultrasound of both feet, pages of blood tests, biopsies looking for small fiber neuropathy, and nerve conduction tests and tried a few meds with no effect.  So far, local doctors see nothing. They are always surprised by how good everything looks. No serious degenerative issues, no indications in blood tests, no neuromas, no disk bulge, some mild looking arthritis here n there. Twice the local docs have given up and sent me to some heavy hitter a 100 miles away for tests but so far nothing. They just haven’t been able to find anything.

This last winter I decided to lay off all activities again just as a test. The conditions only worsened. About mid winter I decided to get on the bike and do some low intensity ride through the trails. When I first got on I could feel a strange feeling in lower back for the first 5 min of ride. Not sure I can even describe it. Wasn’t painful. Just a noticeable sensation there. The next day ALL numb/ tingling/pain symptoms in feet were completely gone. This lasted for 2 days then all returned and have been steady every sense.

When I tell the docs about it they say there nothing obvious in X rays or MRIs in lower back or anywhere for that matter. When I ask if the bike ridding is causing it they all say it seems to help so they recommend keep ridding. IDK but after 2 years of constant med attention Im starting to feel they just want me to go away ha.

I need Dr House. Anyway any help , ideas, etc would be appreciated

Little out of left field with this one, but have you tried Psilocybin?

A strong dose can be a good reset for the mind. 

• Helpful 1

No haven't been there . 

Maybe its all in the brain?  Tinitus started around same time

5 minutes ago, lowmass said:

No haven't been there . 

Maybe its all in the brain?  Tinitus started around same time

They are using it to help all sorts of strange issues similar to what you are experiencing. 
I guess it helps guys that have been around ieds, the nerve and brain damage from the shock waves.

If it doesn’t do anything at least you will have spent an afternoon giggling at everything.    

hmmm interesting about the ieds

my middle daughter believes its ptsd related

Have you ever had fluroquinilone (spelling?) class antibiotics before? Perhaps under the name ciprofloxacin. They can cause similar long term side effects from a single course and blood tests etc can show nothing wrong

• Like 1

Thanks Martin   interesting find there

I have not taken that med. 

I do have all the symptoms listed in some papers 

tendon issues

head ackes

tinitus

neuropathy

arrhythmias

I have all of these BUT as I said I haven't taken that med.  as far as I know anyway Ha

When I read your first post it started to remind me of some of the same things Ive had some problems with, but I had also had some cervical area damage that happened over ten years ago now. But I can relate to the numbness and tingling in the hands and feet etc. and Ive had Xrays, mri's and other types of related tests also. Rarely if ever have I seen improvements from less activity. So its important to find what types of activity to avoid and what types of exercises and stretches to regularly do. 

I dont know if you have any issues with inflammation but in my experience it like alot of other things can cause problems like you describe, or result from another problem. 

• Like 1

The cervical area damage thing seems possible in my case but I haven't really had a bad crash on the head/ neck. The fact that its in both hands and both feet seems to be confusing everyone. The right foot is worse than the left but the hands are about even.

I thought it may be  inflammation too. Primary agreed and as a test  prescribed some anti inflammatory where you take like 6 pills the first day, 5 next and so on down to one. There was no effect. Then a few weeks later the PT guys said that was the weaker version and they prescribed the stronger one. It too had no effect. 

The PT guys at first thought it must be something in lower back but no matter how they manipulated it there was no response, no change in feet numbness and no pain in back. Eventually they thought it must be higher up like in neck but no matter what they did there was no change and the mri showed no obvious damage there.

Eventually they just gave me a bunch of core strengthening routineness to do but they haven't been effective 

Tried all sorts of different exercises and I have always done a lot of stretching but it seems that no matter what there is no change.

Similarly I have tried quite a few things since that crash with varying results and could write a short novel about those experiences, but did want to mention something else I tried a few years ago that seemed to help somewhat. Have you ever tried any osteopathic treatments? It might be worth looking into. I did a bunch of those and it was helpful with pain and nerve related issues. It was a low impact type treatments that didnt involving cracking and popping joints or meds. It was just something else to try out after I had done quite a bit of PT. 

Unfortunately sometimes after somewhat long periods of pain, more problems can develop and you have to try to stay on top of it. My R arm was so weak at one point I almost couldnt do anything when I lifted it above my head. Finally though got it close to being back to normal.

• Like 1

I have gone round  a few times with Dr's that claim to be "osteopathic". Even tryed a couple of chrioprators that would call themslfs the same. Some of them had made a religion out of it and were  all over the map with assumptions that were not producing anything but a lot of office visits. I eventually decided not to continue with them. We have a number of these types in our area. 

There was  one that seemed more honest but again over time there wasnt any change. Manipulations, diet, meditation etc etc.  I can see how some of these things may help some with certain issues BUT so far its been ineffective in my case.

• Like 1

I dont know if this is on track here or not, but you may need to circle back around and give some things a second try. I know how discouraging it can be when one thing after another doesnt seem to be working or helping, and even worse when you end up with another problem after some type of "treatment" and it somehow made things worse. Also trying to have a positive attitude as much as possible is helpful.

Just relating a few experiences that Ive had but yeah, some things were more effective than others thats for sure! I didnt like those nerve conduction tests, seemed like they turned that dam machine up to 11! 

Good luck and hang in there!

Thanks TDW

appreciate the info dispite how I may sound

Yea the nerve conduction tests are fun ha , especially when they move from the conductive patch to the electrified needles

Theres some wonder if those tests simply dont work on some people or mayne operator error? . 35 years ago I was an industrial electrician. Carried my tools in a book bag with strap over right shoulder. One day out of nowhere and for no aparent reason I had a sever pain in that shoulder that went away in about 4 hrs. Two days leater I went to gym to lift and could only curl 1/2 the normal weight with right arm. It was strange. No pain, just 1/2 strength and only doing curls. In the next few weeks the muscles on each side of right bicept atrophy away to nothing.

Spent 8 months going back and forth to a local nurologist. He was beside himself over it. It was obvious that somthing happened but he simply could not get the conduction tests to show anything. Finally he admited he had never seen anyone like me. He litteraly said "you dont work" ha. 

So he sent me to a teaching hospital in Rochester. I was there 5 min and they said " ye weve seen this with students carrying heavy book bags". They called it a "ruck sack palsy" basically the book bag starp had cut circulation off and killed some nerves. 

It was an unusual example though as the affected muscles were specific. Normally with somthing like that its a shotgun effect that targets random muscles or parts of mucsles , not specific to one or two muscles as in my case. It was so unusual that they had the entire staff come to see it, took a bunch of pics, and asked permission to publish it.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your problems.  
Unfortunately many tests are not sensitive enough to detect abnormalities in the early course of a disease. Repeating the same test at a later time might reveal the problem.  

As an example, I know someone that started the same way as you describe (minus the tinnitus) and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.  I didn’t believe it because she had no lesions on her MRIs, and there were no other definitive tests for MS at that time.  A few years later, with continued progression of her symptoms, her cervical and brain MRIs are all lit up.  Currently you can check spinal fluid proteins to possibly get an earlier diagnosis of MS.

Hopefully you will have better luck than that.

• Like 1

thanks stank

yea I may just have to wait till whatever it is show's itself 

I just got a report back from a recent  biopsy looking for small fiber neuropathy. They take a sample high on leg and one down by ankle then compare. As I understand their looking for a significant difference in number of nerve fibers but the test didn't show that. However they did say " there's an unusual swelling in some nerve fibers", but couldn't tell me what that means.

I have a follow up in a few weeks.