Jump to content
Kim Voje

Do i need to release nitro, to change oil in KTM shock ?!

Recommended Posts

Hey all fellow riders, I just bought a KTM 690smc 2008 model and I can see there is quite some leakage of oil from the shock.

I have removed the spring according to the manual, and the next step according to the repair msnusl next step is to release preassure, So what I'm nor sure about is if I have to release the nitro, if so do I need to release it all? is there som kind of upgrade to change the nitro valve to something more garage friendly?

I have only ordered the repair kit for the piston
part numer  R15004

https://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com/ComponentGroupTemplate/Index/6490?modelidentifier=1000176207&isEngine=False

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kim Voje said:

Hey all fellow riders, I just bought a KTM 690smc 2008 model and I can see there is quite some leakage of oil from the shock.

I have removed the spring according to the manual, and the next step according to the repair msnusl next step is to release preassure, So what I'm nor sure about is if I have to release the nitro, if so do I need to release it all? is there som kind of upgrade to change the nitro valve to something more garage friendly?

I have only ordered the repair kit for the piston
part numer  R15004

https://sparepartsfinder.ktm.com/ComponentGroupTemplate/Index/6490?modelidentifier=1000176207&isEngine=False

Yes, you must release all the pressure.

You can get shrader kits from all sorts of places to make it easier to service, or you may be able to drill and tap it for a tank valve.

https://www.teknikmotorsport.com/wp-regas-valve-m5-schrader

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Yes, you must release all the pressure.

You can get shrader kits from all sorts of places to make it easier to service, or you may be able to drill and tap it for a tank valve.

https://www.teknikmotorsport.com/wp-regas-valve-m5-to a

Thanks mate i will release preasure 🙂 seems there is a refill hose thing that's not expensive at all. You service your shocks and forks yourself ? This will be my first go, never touched forks, have an old shock from an old 250SX I disassemble as a test, but have the spring off, so I think i will just continue

It seems they use something similiar to a punch tool to loosen the locking cap. I think I'm gonna try with something made of softer material like wood, not to damage it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kim Voje said:

Thanks mate i will release preasure 🙂 seems there is a refill hose thing that's not expensive at all. You service your shocks and forks yourself ? This will be my first go, never touched forks, have an old shock from an old 250SX I disassemble as a test, but have the spring off, so I think i will just continue

It seems they use something similiar to a punch tool to loosen the locking cap. I think I'm gonna try with something made of softer material like wood, not to damage it

Most of the regulars on this forum do our own stuff, there's also a couple that are pros and do them for others too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shock shaft including shims and piston will have to be disassembled to replace the seal head. I would use SKF. Lots of tutorials on internet. Don’t worry about it not being WP since they are all basically the same. If yours has a piston instead of bladder in the reservoir you may need some special tools to set piston height and refill with nitrogen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take a punch and round the tip on a grinder into a nice hemisphere. I did, and it is pretty gentle with the cap holes. Usually it doesn't take much force, anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, willbilly said:

The shock shaft including shims and piston will have to be disassembled to replace the seal head. I would use SKF. Lots of tutorials on internet. Don’t worry about it not being WP since they are all basically the same. If yours has a piston instead of bladder in the reservoir you may need some special tools to set piston height and refill with nitrogen. 

hmmm, I hoped to get away with installing the "repair kit" marked in yellow, and that i didn't need  to open the chamber containing the nitro.. I should do more research yes. If I need to mess with piston depth and stuff, O'm not sure I'm ready for it

Thanks for the reply though

shock.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a rubber bladder containing the nitrogen. Much easier than the piston. You can do it yourself. Just follow the video tutorials it’s not hard. I normally just file the peen on the shock shaft so I take of as little as possible. Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You definitely have to release the nitrogen. That charge pressurizes the whole shock. You won't be able to push the seal head down to get the lock ring out if you don't release the nitrogen. Even if you could you'd have 150psi oil shooting out at you. Pistons are nothing to be scared of, you just let out the nitrogen and check the depth of the piston from the nitrogen charging port and make sure you set it back to the same height at the end. Even if you mess and and forget to check it you really just need to make sure it's about 5-10mm from being topped out in the shock. Like the others said, watch some videos and you'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I somewhat understand my confusion about the repairmanual pick and what my shock looks like, It was the shock from the newer 2012-2017 models I had on my 2008 bike

I it seemed to fit alright when i removed it from the bike, anyone know if this is an OK upgrade ? I guess I have to find the height of both an see if adjustments should be made, or see if there is someone willing to swap? It's 5 years newer so in theory a good thing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE, I called a local KTM mechanic, he couldn't remeber if any diference in the length of the 2008 shock and the 2013 one. So i guess if I get sag right thats what matters

My repair kit for the 2008 shock wasn't shipped yet, so I had the chance to cancel it, I will order the right one. The refill adapter for the 2013 costs like 300$ so I will for sure look for treads to change the valve

Of course the 2013 one has a piston, not bladder from what I can see. There is a piston depth device involved, but that shouldn't be to hard to make.

thanks for feedback guys 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When releasing the nitro, It started leaking as hell from the compression adjuster, and when inspecting it, it was so loose i could easily unscrew it with my hands.

I'm now suspecting this was the culprit all along, I just assumed it needed new o-rings

I have only released the nitro and removed the locking cap, so my thoughts now are just :

- remove piston and rod

- add oil

- bleed

- get it refilled with nitro

this without buying any parts, or is it stupid not to change all rubber seals when having it open ?

the oil specs is sae 2,5, what oil with be usefull? i have some motul fork pil 5W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on how much time on the shock. I would not replace the seal head if it isn’t leaking, unless you want to for peace of mind. I reuse the O rings if they are not chipped or deformed but they are cheap. Oil viscosity is assigned by the manufacturer, no industry standard. I would use shock oil at 2.5 or 5wt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, willbilly said:

Depends on how much time on the shock. I would not replace the seal head if it isn’t leaking, unless you want to for peace of mind. I reuse the O rings if they are not chipped or deformed but they are cheap. Oil viscosity is assigned by the manufacturer, no industry standard. I would use shock oil at 2.5 or 5wt. 

Thanks mate, I will put the cap back on, refill and bleed it.

then either do the schrader mod, or see if the zeta racing upgrade fits, I think it should.
Looks awesome http://www.zeta-racing.com/sus/wp/index.html

 

Edited by Kim Voje
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like great decent part especially for that price. Setting piston depth isn’t hard. Don’t have my manual with me but it should be almost bottomed out. Away from shcreader valve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...