Crf230f dual sport conversion

Hello, 

I have a 2016 crf230f and I wanna turn it into a dual sport bike. Is it possible to buy crf230L parts to put on my crf230f to make it street legal? Also should I change the gear ratio to have a better cruising speed? 

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the bike.  It's a super fun and very capable ride.  You'll love it.

Here is some helpful info.  Might save you some time for questions you might have or waiting for replies.

The search function is not very user friendly. I've found this to be helpful. Try this - Open the TT forum to the 150/230/250 page. Click on the search bar. A drop down menu should appear. Click on "This Forum". Then type your keywords and hit search. This will limit you results to just this forum. TONS of info on this bike. Guys have been tinkering with them for over 15 years.

58 minutes ago, Gus Hammond said:

Hello, 

I have a 2016 crf230f and I wanna turn it into a dual sport bike. Is it possible to buy crf230L parts to put on my crf230f to make it street legal? Also should I change the gear ratio to have a better cruising speed? 

Yes add a 14 or 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket for street use. The stock 13 tooth makes first gear almost useless anyway. 

1 hour ago, Gus Hammond said:

Hello, 

Try to keep all your street legal equipment under three pounds.

I used the Tusk dual sport kit.  Relatively inexpensive and easy to install.  For the headlight I use a Polisport Halo LED because it is DOT rated for inspection.  My bike with 14/47 gearing is okay on the street and still plenty of low end for the trails.  If you end up getting the tusk D/S kit, I can let you know how I hooked everything up (the headlight mostly) because it can seem tricky at times but it's not bad at all.  I will say that having a dirtbike that I can scoot up the street (legally) has been awesome.  It allows me to get to some trails that I otherwise would not be able to.

Edited by jjmaine

To answer one of your questions it sometimes is next to impossible to get a plate in some states. So it depends on the state to get it street plated. Some people get them plated with a S. Dakota plate by mail or Arizona by PO Box. But then it’s not plated in your state unless that is where you live there. 

Not every state allows plating a dirt bike and the requirements differ greatly among the the states that allow plating. I would add that the first step is to find out the requirements in your state to convert a dirt bike to street use.  The rest is just parts and money. 

For example; AZ is easy,  WA is expensive, and CA in no.

Good call, it would suck to do all that work only to find out you cant get a plate anyway... Where I am in Maine, if you have the title (or the bike is under 300cc a bill of sale) and insurance, they’ll give you a plate no problem.  Then its up to you to make it road legal to get your inspection sticker.

Make sure taillight/brake light is LED otherwise vibes break filaments, plus incandescent demands more from electrical system. Also brace rear fixture mass to the two frame tubes under fender, or it will eventually crack fender. I used proper quality hose clamps and thick metal gauge plumber’s strapping and tied into the nut and bolt fasteners that hold fixture to rear fender.