Jesse_M

colorado RANT POST - SxS will be the death of OHV

4 minutes ago, dirtrider1986 said:

Not all SxS riders are bad, and I get tired of getting the WTF look or not even a wave back just because I am on a SxS with my wife. Human nature so quick to judge. Us dirtbike riders probably have the same look/ordeal to other OHV classes as I feel the tension when I am on my SxS which is once in a blue moon so i can enjoy the trails with my wife, who barely gets out as it is and I always respect, take it slow, and yield to any bikes. Because I tell you what, I get no respect from the same group I belong in.

But yes, the majority do not have the education, are new to it, or just dont know better SINCE THE FACT most people who are new to the offroad scene will flock to a SxS since its the most familiar feeling to them...a steering wheel and pedals. 

You aren't on a SxS, you are IN it.  It is a little car (you got that part right).  And it takes very little to no skill to operate it.  But, that lack of skill comes with a great ability to wreak havoc with the backcountry.  There is what the problem is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dirtrider1986 said:

Not all SxS riders are bad, and I get tired of getting the WTF look or not even a wave back just because I am on a SxS with my wife. Human nature so quick to judge. Us dirtbike riders probably have the same look/ordeal to other OHV classes as I feel the tension when I am on my SxS which is once in a blue moon so i can enjoy the trails with my wife, who barely gets out as it is and I always respect, take it slow, and yield to any bikes. Because I tell you what, I get no respect from the same group I belong in.

But yes, the majority do not have the education, are new to it, or just dont know better SINCE THE FACT most people who are new to the offroad scene will flock to a SxS since its the most familiar feeling to them...a steering wheel and pedals. 

Oh I agree, of course not all are bad. But this pack thing?? It is out of control. 10-15-20+ all causing mayhem. I'm no environmentalist, but I do care to see the areas are not abused so badly that they just get shut down and I feel that it will happen at this pace. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jesse_M said:

Oh I agree, of course not all are bad. But this pack thing?? It is out of control. 10-15-20+ all causing mayhem. I'm no environmentalist, but I do care to see the areas are not abused so badly that they just get shut down and I feel that it will happen at this pace. 

I am solo rider, or maybe 2 when I ride the SxS, and I agree when the SxS are in "packs" it is very obnoxious and even me when I am on my SxS can not stand it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jesse_M said:

SxS guys are joiners, like Harley people. They are "riding" purely as an ancillary function of Gathering, where the individualist personalities attracted to the challenge of riding, Gather as an ancillary function. My friends who have both a SxS and a dirt bike don't ride alone, ever. I noticed this right away. 

12 minutes ago, BOAB said:

You aren't on a SxS, you are IN it.  It is a little car (you got that part right).  And it takes very little to no skill to operate it.  But, that lack of skill comes with a great ability to wreak havoc with the backcountry.  There is what the problem is.

Since you want to play the grammar game, you actually have one yourself; care to find it? I will give you a clue, "dependent clause." Jesus, god forbid if you make a mistake and someone like @BOAB acts out on it. 

And like I said, people who are new to the off-road scene, will flock to something they are very familiar with.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dirtrider1986 said:

Since you want to play the grammar game, you actually have one yourself; care to find it? I will give you a clue, "dependent clause." Jesus, god forbid if you make a mistake and someone like @BOAB acts out on it. 

And like I said, people who are new to the off-road scene, will flock to something they are very familiar with.

He was making a philosophical distinction rather than grammatical. Perhaps you should read it again. Boab is not a grammar nazi. He's an idea nazi.

Edited by Chicken-N-Waffles
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

He was making a philosophical distinction rather than grammatical. Perhaps you should read it again. Boab is not a grammar nazi. He's an idea nazi.

in your car vs on your car, is suited to be a grammatical error.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dirtrider1986 said:

in your car vs on your car, is suited to be a grammatical error.

You're failing to grasp the dimensional differential he intended. Trust me, I've read thousands of his comments, I could write his comments myself, I'm a certified Boab whisperer. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

You're failing to grasp the dimensional differential he intended. Trust me, I've read thousands of his comments, I could write his comments myself, I'm a certified Boab whisperer. 

HA! I clearly don't know BOAB then

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, NOPLCLKNEB30 said:

Agreed.  Eventually the SxS will get all the National Forests Closed to OHV.

I know many places are trying to shut down NF/BLM due to SxS. I see it in articles all the time. Moab is throwing a fit because of how loud SxS are, and annoying. Sadly there are way more new riders, uneducated riders, vs experienced polite ones when it comes to SxS. I ride SxS, but its very rare; maybe once every 3 months because it is miserable being in it; however I do love spending time with my wife out on the trails.

But realistically, what can really be done? Im not sure what is going to happen to our trails in the next 10 years when SxS will continue to dominate (which they will). I know the greenies do use SxS as a leverage to get trails shut down. My personal opinion, they should just build single track trails instead of 50in and full width since by far its less impactful to our terrain. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dirtrider1986 said:

HA! I clearly don't know BOAB then

Just imagine you're old, crotchety, and insanely suspicious of all human activity. Then add a 30 years of telling people they're &%$#@! ups for a living and dealing with scum bags all day. Multiply these factors by a natural hermitism and an inability to admit you have misread any situation ever. Finally, add 30 assumed points to your IQ, no matter who you're taking to. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dirtrider1986 said:

But yes, the majority do not have the education, are new to it, or just dont know better SINCE THE FACT most people who are new to the offroad scene will flock to a SxS since its the most familiar feeling to them...a steering wheel and pedals. And yes, light bars, loud music, drunks is what is mostly seen on SxS and I even get annoyed by it. But the respect goes both way, because I tell you what, when I am on the SxS with my wife, we def get disrespected just as much. You know what it is, coming down from a trail to have 4 or 5 bikes stare at you with wtf faces, obvious judging, and not even a wave back when you wave out of politeness to them? Like I said, goes both ways and they probably feel the same way about us as we do them

Respect is earned.... SxS drivers have not generally, as a group, earned it.

I belong to a local riding club that has multiple thousands of acres of riding and trails. The club allows SxSs, ATVs  and dirt bikes. The club leadership works very hard to educate the SxS drivers on what is proper and what is not. They actively police bad behavior and ban members from the club if not following the rules.  I can state for a fact that the large percentage (very large) of people that are banned are SxSs. 

That being said there is generally a large amount of respect between the two riding groups (4 wheel/2 wheel) because of the efforts of the leadership to correct bad behavior. The long term SxS members know what is expected and generally work to maintain and uphold the rules of the area...  Rules being no littering, no going off trail, stay off the single track unless you are on two wheels, not donuts in the parking lot, etc....  

Edited by HSV-DirtRider
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HSV-DirtRider said:

Respect is earned.... SxS drivers have not generally, as a group, earned it.

I belong to a local riding club that has multiple thousands of acres of riding and trails. The club allows SxSs, ATVs  and dirt bikes. The club leadership works very hard to educate the SxS drivers on what is proper and what is not. They actively police bad behavior and ban members from the club if not following the rules.  I can state for a fact that the large percentage (very large) of people that are banned are SxSs. 

That being said there is generally a large amount of respect between the two riding groups (4 wheel/2 wheel) because of the efforts of the leadership to correct bad behavior. The long term SxS members know what is expected and generally work to maintain and uphold the rules of the area...  Rules being no littering, no going off trail, stay off the single track unless you are on two wheels, not donuts in the parking lot, etc....  

So no fun at all. 

10 minutes ago, HSV-DirtRider said:

essentially that is 90% of SxS rider in the western state. Esp that donut crowd in the parking lot. lmao

regardless, I get where you are coming from since i technically dislike SxS crowds (mostly the full size rzrs) but at the same time, it does suck for people like us, who are avid dirtbike riders, educated, that partially ride the SxS for their significant other "to get out together" to be "guilty until proven innocent." but god dam, if we are not doing nothing wrong, riding respectfully, we wave at ya, have the decency to be a polite human being to wave back and not stare in disgust lmao.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dirtrider1986 said:

essentially that is 90% of SxS rider in the western state. Esp that donut crowd in the parking lot. lmao

I can't tell you how pissed the club officers get after they work to improve a parking area and put in new gravel, etc... only to have some idiot come by the next weekend and do donuts in it and create ruts....   They have taken to posting trail cams in certain areas to find the violators.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

So no fun at all. 

Oh plenty of fun. The trails are very challenging in sections. I'll give you a hint of where this is... Look up the wall or the bowl on Youtube. These are the sections in the riding area you can do some crazy stuff.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HSV-DirtRider said:

Oh plenty of fun. The trails are very challenging in sections. I'll give you a hint of where this is... Look up the wall or the bowl on Youtube. These are the sections in the riding area you can do some crazy stuff.

I only bought a RzR to do donuts within view of my 52 foot triple slide out toy hauler so the wife can film me for YouTube while mixing the next round of daquiris in the blender. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

I only bought a RzR to do donuts within view of my 52 foot triple slide out toy hauler so the wife can film me for YouTube while mixing the next round of daquiris in the blender. 

I dont think he gets it.....your camaraderie....and general compassion.....

• Haha 1

A group of 20-30 at 717?  Good God!! I've seen a nearby rental/guide place bring big trailers full of the machines to the trailhead, but we didn't see em after that. The tour guide wouldnt have been drinking tho.

I know that area well, and big packs of em like that will destroy the place even if they stick to the roads. The trails are currently 52" max, but I've seen em go around restrictors while we are watching.

Its pretty unanimous....SxS will destroy everything off road and unless its sidehill or full of tight trees, every trail will get poached and destroyed by people on these machines.

And in the meantime, the decent amount of old singletrack at 717 that is too tight for them did not get reopened in the latest decision by the FS. I didnt think that it would, but I did request it cuz it would be much safer to have us separated from them. And guess what the FS has been fencing off and signing as closed with threats of mandatory court appearance? While at the same time building a large unloading platform/ramp at the biggest parking lot?

Clearly we are a minor user group now...I support multi-use, but not with these damn things....NO ONE wants em...which is prolly pretty much how hikers, mtbers, equestrians prolly feel about us, but we dont do anywhere near the amount of damage to a trail as a SxS. So, I have real trouble with the idea that we hafta embrace em and work with em.

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, dirtrider1986 said:

I'm an avid MTB rider and I never wave to my buddies on road bikes either 🙂

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 2