So I have an issue, I recently rebuilt my yz125 and then engine got taken out. The motor runs fine just like before but the clutch doesn’t. The actuator arm which is moved by the clutch lever on the handlebars keeps returning to the wrong position and isn’t activating the clutch making it separate. The clutch lever is loose and doesn’t have the clutch feel. Not too sure what’s going on here with the actuator arm but I need to figure it out. If anyone can provide some help that would be greatly appreciated!!

179A4D3D-CE61-49FA-8576-218733EF864B.jpeg

As you can see the actuator arm is in more of a 1:00 position rather than the 3:00 or the 90° position it’s supposed to be in.

Posted (edited)

Check that the steel ball #21 as shown below hasn't be forgotten during re-assembly:

https://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/a/yam/500459ecf8700209bc793be8/clutch

It is accessed by removing the clutch pressure plate (those five #10 bolts/springs) and the push rod assy #17,

then using a small tipped magnet to fish it out.

Edited by mlatour

4 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Check that the steel ball #21 as shown below hasn't be forgotten during re-assembly:

https://www.partspitstop.com/oemparts/a/yam/500459ecf8700209bc793be8/clutch

It is accessed by removing the clutch pressure plate (5 bolts/springs) and the push rod assy #17,

then using a small tipped magnet to fish it out.

Yes, #21 is the little ball. I have installed that and the pushrod but it still does not seem to want to activate the clutch??

Posted (edited)

Make sure your clutch plate/fiber count and their order of assembly is correct,

measure the clutch spring length, they should be no less than 38.1mm (1.500") long,

confirm that your inner hub and outer basket are not severely notched

and, that the #11 and #14 washers are installed in their correct location.

Edited by mlatour

The push rod might just be sitting on the wrong part of the push lever shaft. I've done that. Might need to loosen off the clutch springs, remove the hub and use a magnet to pull the rod out a bit. Then rotate the push lever back to 90 degrees like it's supposed to be and put everything back.

You can try and rotate the arm back where it's supposed to be without removing anything, but it seems to catch on the sharp angles on the shaft somewhat and then you're fighting the tension of six springs.

• Like 2