Shims someone please help

I’ve recently rebuilt a 2008 kxf250 it’s be a bit of an after work project that become a can of worms! After a long time coming it’s rideable but have now found my valve shims are wrong so back to the shed it goes. I need someone who knows there stuff “I’m a builder no mechanic” but I get there slowly keeps me busy. I’ve found my exhaust clearances to be .20 and .15 to my understanding they are meant to be .17 to .22 and my intake valves are .10 and they other one cannot fit a feeler gauge under they are meant to be between .10 and .15  can someone please explain to me how I go about sorting these little buggers out ! Also it may be possible the buckets got mixed up is it likely the buckets are different sizes i understand the shims are “would explain why it’s a bugger to get started” 

happy riding 

55 minutes ago, Mitchell Payne said:

I’ve recently rebuilt a 2008 kxf250 it’s be a bit of an after work project that become a can of worms! After a long time coming it’s rideable but have now found my valve shims are wrong so back to the shed it goes. I need someone who knows there stuff “I’m a builder no mechanic” but I get there slowly keeps me busy. I’ve found my exhaust clearances to be .20 and .15 to my understanding they are meant to be .17 to .22 and my intake valves are .10 and they other one cannot fit a feeler gauge under they are meant to be between .10 and .15  can someone please explain to me how I go about sorting these little buggers out ! Also it may be possible the buckets got mixed up is it likely the buckets are different sizes i understand the shims are “would explain why it’s a bugger to get started” 

happy riding 

It's really quite simple. The one at .20 is good. Pull the shim out of the one at .15, and get a shim .05 thinner, which will give you .20 clearance. The .10 one you could leave, but it's better to be a little loose than tight, so get one .05 thinner than that one is too. The last one you will need to put the thinnest shim you have in it and see if you can get a measurable clearance for a starting point. Otherwise get the thinnest shim you can and put it in and measure, and adjust from there. If you're lucky 1 or 2 of the shims you have may work in a different place, but you'll need to measure them all.

The one with no clearance won't help it start.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Helpful 1