Not sure those first gen aluminum framed CRs are all that sought after to begin with, so I wouldn't count on it.  A bike in near perfect OEM condition will certainly fetch a premium, more so than some blinged out bike.

• Like 3

At my advanced age. I'm considering selling my 96 CR5 and getting a CRF450L. Riding areas gone and the prices I see for good used bikes and parts is crazy.  I see used engine cases for $900. I've mulled over getting my 5hunerd legal. But the vibes are too much on the road.

IMG_E0003.JPG

• Like 3

I think they are going to go up a little more until we get out of this pandemic. I have been contemplating selling my 02 cr 125 and buying new. The prices are absolutely crazy for used. 

• Like 2

I bet as new increases in price and people see the time/cost/effort to diagnose and repair these new fuel injected machines... I rode with a brand new ktm 250 4t last week... traction control... efi... mapping options... electric start... Just imagine the cost and effect of repairing those if they are exposed to water and fry or are broken by a rock or the switch fails. Battery, starter, switch and harness, charging coil, and switch in clutch, safety protocols, when these thinks fail and deteriorate, a $900 engine case for a solid used machine might be an afterthought. I can't imagine the associated repairs, worse than my 40 year old pickup trucks if you ask me to keep running for 10+ years. I saw a tremendous shift to 4 strokes say 15 years ago here. there was almost not a 2 stroke dirtbike anywhere. then 5-10 years ago it is back to a 50/50 split or so to 2 strokes, new ktm, old honda, kawasaki, yamaha, all because of the same reason... maintenance and repair cost. 4 strokes seem to take a little bit more care and are less forgiving to neglect and abuse not to mention the cost. the cost of parts. Now,lets see where it goes. but just don't expect everyone to not pay $4000+ for a perfectly good motorcycle that brand new counterpart is 10000+ on a good day. plus the extra ownership cost. battery. switches and so on. I highly doubt we see a price/value deterioration on a solid machine, it might not sell in 5 minutes, but I bet the market continues to bear strong prices as long a new is accelerating as fast as it is. I for one do not want a brand new one. I have rode them, I have looked, I can afford one, However my issue is I do not want to spend my time dealing with more batteries, more switches, and another starter, and all the additional complexities. I ride my old hondas, do a tire and air filter and occasionally fork seals and oil change and it works great. In a nut shell, Condition.

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

It's one thing willing to pay 900$ for engine cases to repair a 15+ year old discontinued 2-stroke you cherish 

but it's another story altogether if they (or any other OEM only part like ignition, gearbox, power valve components etc.)

are actually still available by the time you need them.

Double edged sword, with more people restoring/riding older bikes,

the limited supply of new/good used replacement parts will dry up faster.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, The_Best_Of_The_Best said:

Are honda 2 Strokes going to go up or down in value over the next couple of years? I'm just wondering for my 98 Cr250r.

Does it really matter at this point? If you sell you shouldn’t lose. So you ride  and enjoy your bike. Dirt bikes aren’t really great for investment. The investment is for enjoying riding. You could maybe make more money parting out too. That’s where I am with my 82’ Husky 430 cr. Im looking for engine parts and guys are asking to by parts off my bike like the forks and tank and whatever. Right now I can make way more money parting it out but Id rather just get it running. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, hawaiidirtrider said:

Does it really matter at this point? If you sell you shouldn’t lose. So you ride  and enjoy your bike. Dirt bikes aren’t really great for investment. The investment is for enjoying riding. You could maybe make more money parting out too. That’s where I am with my 82’ Husky 430 cr. Im looking for engine parts and guys are asking to by parts off my bike like the forks and tank and whatever. Right now I can make way more money parting it out but Id rather just get it running. 

Keep it...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Keep it...

Yeah I’m needing parts but yeah I’m happy just having it. It’s memories as I raced it in the early 80’s and that bike sort of represents a really great time in dirt bike racing and I was right  there enjoying it all. So it’s a project stalled with lack of parts for now. That’s ok. I guess this can happen with any bike down the road. So have cr 250 Hondas as vintage rides? Well yea. Look at blinking your eyes and how long ago 1998 is.  23 years. Damn.  But look at Ronnie mac. He is making the first gen cr 250 look good when most don’t have the highest opinion of those years compared to other year 2 stroke Hondas. 
Hows that front fender 😂

It just shows too that it’s the rider.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Yeah I’m needing parts but yeah I’m happy just having it. It’s memories as I raced it in the early 80’s and that bike sort of represents a really great time in dirt bike racing and I was right  there enjoying it all. So it’s a project stalled with lack of parts for now. That’s ok. 

Check with Willie on the Vintage Dirtbike area, Hes a Canadian, and all he works on is vintage Husky's, I bet you might get a hook up.

• Like 1