Tall guy who wants a small dual sport - am I crazy?

Hi guys. I just signed up to ask this question. (sorry it got long) It seems like my wants and desires are possibly unusual based on all the internet research I've done.

A little about me. I'm 46 years old, 6'6" and 220 lbs. I started riding dirt bikes when I was about 6 or 7 years old (first gen '69 Z50) and at about 10 years old I upgraded to an '84 XR80 (last of the two shock models). At about 13 or 14 I upgraded to a '78 DT175 which I rode till 18 or 19 and then stopped (moved from parents home and couldn't keep a bike).

I always rode trails / woods. When we went to ORV parks I never road MX tracks or if I did I went around the big jumps and just hit the small ones. Never wanted to jump much. I am / was a competent rider. I always say I was trail rider and a put-put kid. NOT a speed freak, I just got out and had fun. Sure I'd do some challenging stuff, big hill climbs, rip around fast occasionally but would be considered slow compared to some other riders. Notice none of the bike I rode growing up are known for being high performance or fast.

I few years ago I bough another '78 DT175 as a project and to relive a piece of my youth. I practiced my street riding skills a bit (learned push steering which I never used as a youth) and became a better dual sport rider, especially on the street. Didn't keep the bike and still am with out a bike. (and ready to buy something newer)

I'm tall and always have been, and I always enjoyed my DT175's (33.2" seat height) even at my full grown adult height. As a tall kid I enjoyed my XR80 even though "cooler kids" would say the XR's are gutless. I rode the heck out of it and could conquer all kinds of terrain.

ANYWAY - Now I'm older and ready to get a dual sport bike to enjoy. I don't want something heavy, my main goal is to do some trail riding and I want light weight for challenging off road stuff. I do not want to ride on the freeway much, if ever. Mostly around town, country back roads, and off road. Single track / goat trails / no trails included.

So - I am in love with the idea of buying a new CRF300L (34.7" seat). I just took (and passed) a rider course and endorsement test on a KLX250 sf (super moto)(33.9" seat). I actually liked that bike a lot. I know the 300L won't be much taller on seat height but I'm okay with that. I still think it's a good fit for me and what I want to do with it. (I'm on a waiting list with the Honda dealer waiting for the phone to ring)

Maybe I researched too much. It seems like the internet doesn't want me to get anything smaller than a 650, just based on my height. Maybe more aggressive 450's with 37 inch seats. BUT I kind of have my heart set on a 250, or now, the new 300L. I have never had an issue being a tall guy on a normal bike but the "experts" on the web seem to want me to go big. I can't get my head around taking on the extra weight of a bigger bike just for another inch or two of seat height when I'm not uncomfortable on smaller bikes.

I know I don't need permission, but, is there something wrong with me for wanting to ride a CRF300L at 6'6" and 220lbs? I know what I want and why, but research has made me nervous as it seems a bike like this is NEVER recommended to a tall rider online. Will the 300L be a bad choice for me?

I’m 6’3”, 300lbs, and I ride my 2015 CRF250L and enjoy the hell out of it. I think you’ll like the CRF300L, but you’ll decide that. 

Ride what you like, like JoeBlow says above: if you outgrow it, sell it and buy something else. 

Ride what you want to get, so many people buy bikes way over their head to be cool, they require more maintenance. You seem like you don't really care what other people say, so get the 300. I am 55, used to race a few enduros for fun with my brother, he is gone now but after many crashes, injuries, I still love riding off road, but I don't need to be competitive or go race my buddies off road. It is therapy for me having ridden since 4 YO. My 2012 KLX250 is perfect for what you want to do, as I do that too. That 300 will be so versatile, you may keep it forever. 

A guy I just started riding with bought a brand new 2019 crf250L last year, I didn't ride it but I did sit on it. When I rocked the bike back and forth, it was very soft and spongee. I told him to adjust his clickers to stiffen it a little, and he said the shock and forks are none adjustable! He just put a big-bore kit on it, he has an aftermarket shock that's fully adjustable he's ready to throw on, and he plans to put some stiffer springs in the forks soon. I believe the 300L has the same set-up suspension-wise, and with the OPs' size and weight, he'll be in the same boat as my friend...