lightening weight on the the CRF230 by 20 pounds

I cannot stress enough about what a joke this video is on lightning a 230f. It’s all about BBR stiff suspension springs, emulators, BBR rev boxes, pipes, etc. if any one actually takes this video seriously, it will take the evolution of the 230f back in time over 20 years.
So many mis-conceptions and out and out lies about building a light weight 230f that handles better than a stocker (with no engine performance mods at all.) it’s just a sad, sad fairy tale and at best a joke that will have anyone turning there 230f into an unusable and ill-performing  POS. More later, can’t even finish the Video right now it’s just driving me insane. Will attempt to calm down in a few hours and force myself to finish watching this uninformed moron and then comment further. So far this video proves that this guy has absolutely no clue about 230s except bolting on as many after market red aluminum parts as possible and then cutting off frame parts, removing kick stands,  drilling holes in seat pans, draining out all fluids and emptying fuel tanks in order to get the overall weight down to some impossible # that is in no way a realistic # that the bike could be e ridden with. More later I’m hoping. 

• Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tom WIP - Low Buck Garage said:

Wow, that was hatefully long winded. Obviously you forgot to take your meds.

take  a breath, and calm down Mr. know- it-all.

You get all of your idealistic inspiration from Fricken Jim?  Sure you must know of  him at least? 

For me vedio very well done . Except if I planned to play mx racer on a 230. The money spent on lighting  does not give enough gain . Because your mods to fork and shock make unrideable. Xr400 fork and xr250 rear shock. With no lighting of bike you can ride fast . Just my thinking ?

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

If I seriously wanted a lightweight, good handling 230, I'd do it @chadzu's way:

On page 4: 210.5 lbs rtr, no gas. That's about 40 lbs lighter than a stock 230, and the suspension is first class. Of course it's not really a 230, but is what Honda could have made with parts from their bin (but with CRF150R/B forks instead of the Katoom forks Chad used).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great video. You're editing skills are pretty good! 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while. I believe 6lbs = 1 hp. Perhaps it's 8lbs??? But if it is 6, then you equivalently picked up 3 1/3hp by losing 20lbs on the bike. Not to mention it will feel that much lighter under you. (It's been so long, can't remember the weight to hp translation)

The suspension is horrid, and the BBR Springs a bandaid -but- for heavier riders, it's a good bandaid. If you can find Mike Coes original Power Up info for jetting, spark arrestor and Airbox... You'll be on the right track.

The o-ring chain really drags this motor down. Put a standard chain it, you'll be surprised! A thinner oil will allow it to rev quicker as well. 5w-20 ran great in my bike! 

Good luck, have fun experimenting! ?

Edited by Mikeee P
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, Baja runner said:

For me vedio very well done . Except if I planned to play mx racer on a 230. The money spent on lighting  does not give enough gain . Because your mods to fork and shock make unrideable. Xr400 fork and xr250 rear shock. With no lighting of bike you can ride fast . Just my thinking ?

Thanks! I agree! The xr400, 1996-2004 XR250R, or 150R forks are all great choices but do take a bit of work-and $$$.

83-86 Xr350, 600 rear shock (if you can find one) will also a take a bit of work, but you'll gain a reservoir and some adjustment. Still way cheaper than a Hagon or Fox shock. 

My video was made for the guy who doesnt have a lot of $$$. with limited tools. Yes, with lots of mods, you CAN race this thing in the Beginner/Junior class. 

Ditch the heavy battery, headlight, kickstand, open the airbox, richen the jetting, buy a aftermarket pipe or (gut the muffler baffle),  go have fun! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, adnohguy said:

I cannot stress enough about what a joke this video is on lightning a 230f. It’s all about BBR stiff suspension springs, emulators, BBR rev boxes, pipes, etc. if any one actually takes this video seriously, it will take the evolution of the 230f back in time over 20 years.
So many mis-conceptions and out and out lies about building a light weight 230f that handles better than a stocker (with no engine performance mods at all.) it’s just a sad, sad fairy tale and at best a joke that will have anyone turning there 230f into an unusable and ill-performing  POS. More later, can’t even finish the Video right now it’s just driving me insane. Will attempt to calm down in a few hours and force myself to finish watching this uninformed moron and then comment further. So far this video proves that this guy has absolutely no clue about 230s except bolting on as many after market red aluminum parts as possible and then cutting off frame parts, removing kick stands,  drilling holes in seat pans, draining out all fluids and emptying fuel tanks in order to get the overall weight down to some impossible # that is in no way a realistic # that the bike could be e ridden with. More later I’m hoping. 

I was going to ask you for some advice on the direction to take on this CRF project (PWK28, cam, valves?) or suspension.

But i'll pass, since you chose to not only bad mouth my video, but me personally as well, while offering nothing constructive.

I'll take your opinion for what its worth--nothing--and talk to those who are helpful, friendlier and not a rude, arrogant, know-it-all. Have a nice life dude.  

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Mikeee P said:

Great video. You're editing skills are pretty good! 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while. I believe 6lbs = 1 hp. Perhaps it's 8lbs. But if it is 6, then you equivalently picked up 3 1/3hp by losing 20lbs on the bike. Not to mention it will feel that much lighter under you. 

The suspension is horrid, and the BBR Springs a bandaid -but- for heavier riders, it's a good bandaid. If you can find Mike Coes original Power Up info for jetting, spark arrestor and Airbox... You'll be on the right track.

The o-ring chain really drags this motor down. Put a standard chain it, you'll be surprised! A thinner oil will allow it to rev quicker as well. 5w-20 ran great in my bike! 

Good luck, have fun experimenting! ?

Thanks! Trying to keep it real for the folks with time, but few $$ and tools. Started to opt for the standard chain but they just dont hold up well!   

1 hour ago, Tom WIP - Low Buck Garage said:

I was going to ask you for some advice on the direction to take on this CRF project (PWK28, cam, valves?) or suspension.

But i'll pass, since you chose to not only bad mouth my video, but me personally as well, while offering nothing constructive.

I'll take your opinion for what its worth--nothing--and talk to those who are helpful, friendlier and not a rude, arrogant, know-it-all. Have a nice life dude.  

Why would you come on this forum for the first time and ask me anything (You obviously don’t know that this forum has a search function) You could just look it all up and read all about it.

Ive been posting for over 10 years about  everything 150f -230f when your Video and massive knowledge base explains how to remove 20lbs from a 230f by removing all fluids from the bike. Removing the kick stand, draining the fuel tank dry and sawing off pieces of the frame. Then bolting on a whole slew of red bling Aluminun components, and the loudest most noisy pipe made, a CDI box that is more than well know to be unreliable and leave you stranded as well as having absolutely no form of RPM limiter at allowing unlimited rpms even though your bone stock 230f does not make ANY power above 8,500 rpm.  Who in this world is going to absolutely believe that you actually ride this bike with no fluids and gas in the tank as well as BBR heavy springs front and rear on a stock rear shock with emulators in the forks? Sure it must be 20 lbs less weight than stock. How does this emulator forks work with out oil? And since there is no brake fluid in the front brakes or fuel in the tank.

Really how does your 20 lb Less weight pos really work? 

Yah really excellent work on your part, good job.

Post away sir show us what you got. 

2888C08E-A601-406A-AFDD-AEDF1946F5EE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tom WIP - Low Buck Garage said:

Thanks! Trying to keep it real for the folks with time, but few $$ and tools. Started to opt for the standard chain but they just dont hold up well!   

Correct non o ring chain worthless short life . Haha in baja so is aluminum rear sprocket . History in less then 300 miles 

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, adnohguy said:

Why would you come on this forum for the first time and ask me anything (You obviously don’t know that this forum has a search function) You could just look it all up and read all about it.

Ive been posting for over 10 years about  everything 150f -230f when your Video and massive knowledge base explains how to remove 20lbs from a 230f by removing all fluids from the bike. Removing the kick stand, draining the fuel tank dry and sawing off pieces of the frame. Then bolting on a whole slew of red bling Aluminun components, and the loudest most noisy pipe made, a CDI box that is more than well know to be unreliable and leave you stranded as well as having absolutely no form of RPM limiter at allowing unlimited rpms even though your bone stock 230f does not make ANY power above 8,500 rpm.  Who in this world is going to absolutely believe that you actually ride this bike with no fluids and gas in the tank as well as BBR heavy springs front and rear on a stock rear shock with emulators in the forks? Sure it must be 20 lbs less weight than stock. How does this emulator forks work with out oil? And since there is no brake fluid in the front brakes or fuel in the tank.

Really how does your 20 lb Less weight pos really work? 

Yah really excellent work on your part, good job.

Post away sir show us what you got. 

2888C08E-A601-406A-AFDD-AEDF1946F5EE.jpeg

What is your problem dude? Is this what you do? Beat up on all the new people who join? Why are you coming after me?
I NEVER said anything about draining all the fluids and running the bike! All I ever said was to run a gallon less gas in a moto, that’s it! 
I’ll tolerate an egotistical know-it-all bully, but I’ll be damned if going to let you tell lies about me and put words in my mouth. YOU ARE A LIAR.

I guess the joke about forgetting to take your psych-meds hit a little too close to home? Hmmm?

ive been riding, racing, wrenching on many bikes,worked at a few bike shops as a Honda parts manager over the years, I’m 60 now and I remember dealing with sociopaths, and little punk employees like you. 
You took an instant dislike to me in the video because...?  What? Do I remind you of the father that beat you? Do I look like the kid who used to take your lunch money in school? 
Is this how all new members are treated on this platform? Did I fail to kneel and kiss your ring?

STOP LYING - LIAR.

its not that hard to get an administrator to boot somebody off the platform.
Anybody else out there had the same problem with this guy? Speak up!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom WIP - Low Buck Garage said:

What is your problem dude? Is this what you do? Beat up on all the new people who join? Why are you coming after me?
I NEVER said anything about draining all the fluids and running the bike! All I ever said was to run a gallon less gas in a moto, that’s it! 
I’ll tolerate an egotistical know-it-all bully, but I’ll be damned if going to let you tell lies about me and put words in my mouth. YOU ARE A LIAR.

I guess the joke about forgetting to take your psych-meds hit a little too close to home? Hmmm?

ive been riding, racing, wrenching on many bikes,worked at a few bike shops as a Honda parts manager over the years, I’m 60 now and I remember dealing with sociopaths, and little punk employees like you. 
You took an instant dislike to me in the video because...?  What? Do I remind you of the father that beat you? Do I look like the kid who used to take your lunch money in school? 
Is this how all new members are treated on this platform? Did I fail to kneel and kiss your ring?

STOP LYING - LIAR.

It only took this guy 9 posts to go nuclear. Frankly I'm disappointed in the rest of you tolerating the BS here. If we can't keep snowflakes from melting, we're gonna have a lot of mopping to do. 

A "DECENT" standard non o-ring chain can easily last up to 6 months on a 250 two stroke Motocross bike as long as you lube it and clean it ?

Timmy Ferry's full race KX125 was bogging all over the track in West Palm one time. Figure 35+ hp... We were trying getting and everything. I spotted the chain and we ripped it off and put a non o-ring chain on it, and problem cured! Trust me, putting a regular chain on my CRF230F was unbelievable. These bikes just can't pull all the drag from those o-rings ?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chicken-N-Waffles said:

It only took this guy 9 posts to go nuclear. Frankly I'm disappointed in the rest of you tolerating the BS here. If we can't keep snowflakes from melting, we're gonna have a lot of mopping to do. 

I don't understand the whole thing, but will sit back and see where this goes. My guess... it is circling the drain already

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NYMXer said:

I don't understand the whole thing, but will sit back and see where this goes. My guess... it is circling the drain already

Yep.

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the CRF230, a well designed very reliable bike very good at what it's designed for, as a motocross bike.

I'd sort of compare it to taking the family Prius and entering it in a NASCAR race. Yes, it would make it around the track. Taking the batteries out, half filling the gas tank and different shocks won't make it much more fun or faster.  lol

I've recommended this bike a number of times but not for this. Light DS and easier trails, very good bike. ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom WIP - Low Buck Garage said:

STOP LYING - LIAR.

Let's calm down, shall we.

It's a rarity for a Newbie come on here, post a video, set up their Garage, etc.. boasting some level of expertise and even more rare for that same newbie to challenge established members.

When you post anything, really... anything... some will agree with your post and others will not, and probably speak out about it. It's what makes the world go 'round... nothing to take personally and threaten our members over.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2