Baja Singletrack Guy Going to Idaho

I'm headed to Idaho for a family vacation and will be able to peel away for a few days to go riding. I'll be up over July 4th and would much apricate some recommendations for areas around Stanley and Idaho City. Specific trail names so I can find them on a map is even better, GPS if you have it. I ride singletrack down in baja and am looking forward to trees and water crossings, I hear I'll likely find snow that time of year too.... 

I'm Washington but have taken a couple ride trips to Idaho. You will love Idaho every place I've ridden there has been awesome. I like you had no local knowledge of Idaho. I got ahold of the MVUM's ( motor vehicle usage maps) from USFS to get an idea of the trails in the area and potential loops and then called around to local shops and they usually have an "off-road  guy" that is more than willing to point you I'm the right direction. Iv e even swung into the shop when I got into town and reviewed the map in person and highlighted some loops. One other resource might be the Rekluse guys. I have run into their employees a few times at events in WA and they always tell everyone to swing into their  office in Boise if you are in the area and they will take you out for a ride, they seemed pretty sincere, might be worth checking out......good luck and have fun!

On 5/9/2021 at 8:45 AM, montage said:

Take a look at these maps..  I have the full set, and they are nice.  I've been using them as study guides for my upcoming bucket-list.

https://billdarttrails.com/product-category/trail-maps/

info:   https://billdarttrails.com/

I love his maps....I can get lost in those things for hours.....planning, always planning ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, wondermuscle said:

Thank you all for the good info. I too prefer the adventure of finding trails and getting lost. 

Some of the trail maps of Idaho need a little 'explorin'.....I had a situation where we were on a big loop, not much gas toward end of day and the trail ends at the side of a river. Can't see a trail on the other side....map says we gotta cross and shortly thereafter we hit the trail back to camp. There was no possible way of going back, so we started walking upstream and downstream looking across the river to see if there was somewhere to go. Found the connector about 100yds downstream and the river was over the front wheel deep and flowing.  Angling downstream was the way to go, but we spent a good bit of time figuring it out and got back pretty late in the long summer day.

• Sad 1

On 5/19/2021 at 10:52 PM, Slackkinhard said:

Some of the trail maps of Idaho need a little 'explorin'.....I had a situation where we were on a big loop, not much gas toward end of day and the trail ends at the side of a river. Can't see a trail on the other side....map says we gotta cross and shortly thereafter we hit the trail back to camp. There was no possible way of going back, so we started walking upstream and downstream looking across the river to see if there was somewhere to go. Found the connector about 100yds downstream and the river was over the front wheel deep and flowing.  Angling downstream was the way to go, but we spent a good bit of time figuring it out and got back pretty late in the long summer day.

I think my buddies did the same thing there, trail just sluffed off and then nothing. 

1 hour ago, 8675309 said:

I think my buddies did the same thing there, trail just sluffed off and then nothing. 

rivers move around, we found a few trails deviated near river/creek crossings....but that particular one had us stumped for awhile

41 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

rivers move around, we found a few trails deviated near river/creek crossings....but that particular one had us stumped for awhile

Same with these guys, no turning back and had to hike up and down river banks for quite some time to find trail on other side. Baumgartner area. 

• Like 1