F-250 super duty is stupid rough

Our 2014 F-250 super duty is really rough just driving down the road, not to mention a dirt road. I know its a super duty, they are meant for towing and hauling, so they are naturally stiff. I just sucks to drive, shocks, springs? I know i need to change something, wether its leaf springs or tire pressure, or even my underwear. I should also mention its the 4 door gas engine.

9 hours ago, TheRockyMoutainKing said:

Our 2014 F-250 super duty is really rough just driving down the road, not to mention a dirt road. I know its a super duty, they are meant for towing and hauling, so they are naturally stiff. I just sucks to drive, shocks, springs? I know i need to change something, wether its leaf springs or tire pressure, or even my underwear. I should also mention its the 4 door gas engine.

If you truck drives like a sherman tank, go to a softer brand on the shocks...

10 hours ago, TheRockyMoutainKing said:

That would be great, but that is really expensive. Is there anything wrong with skyjacker stuff?

Is there anything right with the skyjacker kits?  I would avoid consumer lift kits unless you know it works.  Most are just for lifting and looks, not function.

I would be more inclined to get 2" rez shocks and source springs from deaver.  Keep the ride height stock.  If  can tune a mc shock, you can tune a truck shock.

If you do much offroad, even gravel, avoid disposible shocks.  I could never get more than 20 miles before they start to fade and more than a couple thousand miles before they were smoked.

Edited by crypto666
  • Helpful 1

Check out the Sulastic Shackle, I installed them on my 2020 Silverado 2500. I noticed it takes the harshness out of the bump and keeps the trunk more in contact with the road. There are a lot of reviews and Youtube videos.

Cost is around 460 bucks, if you shop you may find them a little cheaper.

For me it's the best bang for the buck, even the backseat passengers claim the ride is smoother.

https://www.sulastic.com

Edited by katoomed00
  • Helpful 3

20 minutes ago, crypto666 said:

Is there anything right with the skyjacker kits?  I would avoid consumer lift kits unless you know it works.  Most are just for lifting and looks, not function.

I would be more inclined to get 2" rez shocks and source springs from deaver.  Keep the ride height stock.  If  can tune a mc shock, you can tune a truck shock.

If you do much offroad, even gravel, avoid disposible shocks.  I could never get more than 20 miles before they start to fade and more than a couple thousand miles before they were smoked.

yeah... but, using your MC analogy...

...you're trying to tune for a 160 lb rider by changing damping... while the springs have been set up for a 280 lb rider?

• Like 1

Start with your air pressure.  I'm not sure on the Ford Super Duties, but on the Rams the tire pressures listed on the doors are for full load which is 65 PSI in the fronts and 80 PSI in the rears.  In my case that's 12,000 pounds of  truck /payload towing 26,000 pounds of trailer.   There is no reason to run that much pressure unloaded when the truck / passengers is at 8,500 pounds.  In fact, driving around with that much air in the tires on an unloaded truck will cause wear issues.  I believe tire manufacturers have charts for tire pressure vs vehicle / axle weight that can help you choose an appropriate tire pressure.

Unfortunately, my understanding is, that the 3/4 tons have TPMS that will go off if you run below the sticker tire pressure.  1-ton trucks, at least in the Ram line, have TPIS systems that allow you to set your tire pressure under the door sticker value without going off.  So basically, in a 1-ton truck, they expect and allow you to lower your tire pressures when not loaded.  But in a 3/4 ton they may annoy you with a dash light for doing so.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Or better yet, find a nice Chevy!

You lost everyone at "nice Chevy".  Maybe change it to "running Chevy"....  No, no, that's confusing too.  Let me get back to you.

Doc

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, TheRockyMoutainKing said:

That would be great, but that is really expensive. Is there anything wrong with skyjacker stuff?

Lol. Yeah. You get what you pay for. Lot of guys confuse "lift kit" with "suspension". There are component options, but it requires a working knowledge of what you're trying to achieve and how to get there. Most guys suspension journey ends with whatever junk let's them run 37 inch mudders.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SlowDinoDog said:

yeah... but, using your MC analogy...

...you're trying to tune for a 160 lb rider by changing damping... while the springs have been set up for a 280 lb rider?

And not one or another either, but both the fat kid and the skinny kid want to be tuned for.  The front can be dialed in a left alone for the most part that weight shouldn't chnge much.  Find a plusher than oem spring; It shouldn't be hard to find something with more turns than oem. (assuming coil front end)

The only conclusion I came to on my own rear was to use air springs, but I am going from a lighter setup to heavier, rather than the other way which is impossible without new springs. 

That's why I would talk to someone like Deaver, get something plush that can be backed up with an air spring for loads. 

I what I used to do on my 82 heavy 3/4 chev, load it with about 800lbs.  Works beautifully.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, katoomed00 said:

Check out the Sulastic Shackle, I installed them on my 2020 Silverado 2500. I noticed it takes the harshness out of the bump and keeps the trunk more in contact with the road. There are a lot of reviews and Youtube videos.

Cost is around 460 bucks, if you shop you may find them a little cheaper.

For me it's the best bang for the buck, even the backseat passengers claim the ride is smoother.

https://www.sulastic.com

I would assume those increase droop and maintain  stock height?  Slick.  Leaf springs are so primitive, yet they work. Same shit used on horse drawn wagons.

I’m going with these guys on my next round of shocks > Accutuneoffroad.com    I like how Bilsteins last but they are not the shock for square edges and cobble.

Edited by kxlubber
  • Like 1