OldGuyXL600R

New bike to me, XL600R, new to TT

Just acquired my first bike, an '86 XL600R that I got cheap. It will be a good project, commuter, and toy. I was surprised there is no group specific to the XLs here.

It is in decent shape. It has no key, so I am pulling the code off the ignition to see if I can get one made at the local dealer. It will need a muffler, thinking about the XRs Only slip-on. Anyone have one of those? Is it reasonably quiet? I don't mind louder than stock, but don't want annoyingly loud.

I also need side plastics and fenders. Can't find reproductions, so what is everyone using? 

Thanks for your help.

Those xls are becoming a rare breed. The gentleman on adv would probably have more information for you, it’s pretty much all Xr650ls and xr600rs here.

I don’t know where you live, but I’d find a cycle bone yard and see if you can pull the panels you need…I owned an xl600r new in 86 and it was an awesome bike with a mono-shock…lots of fun….also look on eBay….if you can’t get a key made, swap the key switch for a new one…off some of the aftermarket sites, $25-36$ for a switch.

Doc