eNiMaLx

Throttle play and brake pedal position for trail riding and enduro

Posted (edited)

What's the recommended play? I've been practicing doing wheelies and find it hard to be consistent with the throttle with so much play on my throttle cable. On the other hand, it's been my experience that not enough leads to very rough downshifts. Is there a happy medium? Should I be more on the loose side than the tight side or maybe the opposite?

Also, should I increase the height of my brake pedal? Right now it gives me great control but it makes me struggle to apply enough force to negate a wheelie and apply enough force to prevent the bike from riding back down a hill, making me rely a lot more on throttle control to control the wheelie and the front brake to stop the bike from rolling backward. Or maybe it's adequate for trail riding and enduro and advanced techniques like pivot turning and floating?

Edited by eNiMaLx

you want like an 1/8" play.  

not enough play can be tiresome and even worse, dangerous.  

• Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, burntvalves said:

you want like an 1/8" play.  

not enough play can be tiresome and even worse, dangerous.

Thank you. What about the brake pedal? Can you describe to me your current setup?

so I like my pedal up above my footpeg.  I'd have to measure to know exactly how much, the pedal is much more of a feelie-deal for me.  

have to be able to lock up my rear wheel standing up with ease.  If it's too low, this becomes impossible.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

you also really want it above the rear footpeg to whatever degree for a bunch of reasons.  

panic breaking and keeping from looping out doing wheelies are at the top of the list. 

• Helpful 1

The 1/8" play is what's recommended by the manufacturers, but as you rotate the handlebars, the cable bends changing throttle play.

Rotate the handlebars to full lock and check play, rotate to full lock in the other direction and feel play. Rotate the handlebars in the direction that had less play, and then adjust throttle play to almost no play.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Posted (edited)

There was 1/3"/8.4 mm of throttle free play lol.

Edited by eNiMaLx

I don't like ANY throttle play, apart from the absolute minimum just to make sure the throttle shuts-off completely reliably. It's personal preference I guess.

1 hour ago, slipper said:

I don't like ANY throttle play, apart from the absolute minimum just to make sure the throttle shuts-off completely reliably. It's personal preference I guess.

My guess is it's because you clutch-less downshift?

6 hours ago, eNiMaLx said:

My guess is it's because you clutch-less downshift?

Nah, it's just easier for me to be precise at low throttle ("just off idle") with as little free play as humanly possible.

1 hour ago, motrock93b said:

Which is generally the best technique. 

What about destroying the gear teeth when you get it wrong?

Unlikely. I can’t think of a single professional instructor who teaches to use the clutch when downshifting, unless for executing a brake-slide or something like that. You may be receiving bad information from people, or falling into the unfortunate trap of thinking you understand more than you actually do. There are plenty of good YouTube videos (MX Factory) which can help. Dirt bike riding is actually extremely technical. Good luck. 

14 minutes ago, motrock93b said:

Unlikely. I can’t think of a single professional instructor who teaches to use the clutch when downshifting, unless for executing a brake-slide or something like that. You may be receiving bad information from people, or falling into the unfortunate trap of thinking you understand more than you actually do. There are plenty of good YouTube videos (MX Factory) which can help. Dirt bike riding is actually extremely technical. Good luck. 

I know on asphalt due to the high levels of traction, in conjunction with the high power of the engine on 600+ cc sport bikes, that getting a clutch-less downshift wrong will shred the gear teeth. I guess off-road with the relatively low levels of grip the damage is going to be significantly less? I've done a few unintentional clutch-less downshifts on my DRZ and, even without unloading the drivetrain (maybe it was because I was at low rpms?), it felt very smooth.

Edited by eNiMaLx

I have almost zero street bike experience. It’s wise to be easy on your equipment. I’m a student and competitor in the sport of dirt bikes/MX. I accept the guidance by every professional instructor I can think of, backed up with my many years of experience that it’s ok (preferable) to downshift without the clutch. You might benefit from more research, followed by deliberate practice to find your own solution. I’m not preaching, so have fun with or without the clutch. 

• Helpful 1