Webb bashing??

4 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

These comparisons are ambiguous at best.  If we look at the bell curve we'll find more men that do extremely difficult sports.  We'll probably find more men that are obese with 12 complications ready to keel over too.  Do we want to compare the average man vs average woman?  The best at the extreme?  Why not compare the worst man and the worst woman?  Isn't that valid too?

MX is more physically demanding because it's two 30 minute motos instead of a heat and a 20 minute main.

In fact I think you'll find the opposite, actually I'm certain you'll find the opposite. The more extreme difficult you get the larger percentage of women there are compared to men. 

Is physically demanding what defines manly? I've already shown that as something becomes more physically demanding the smaller the gap is between men and women's performance. So that is in fact a very poor indicator of a sports "manliness". A better definition of manliness is something that takes courage, men have more testosterone than women and are willing to take greater risks. Where you'll find a higher percentage of men than women is in sports that take courage or brute strength. You know, things that testosterone helps with. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Don't follow any of that. But I do follow motocross and supercross and I've seen a lot more women qualify for motocross races!  Something you also follow and are not willing to try and explain 🙃 

I do follow MX & SX, but I haven’t noticed more women racing the Outdoor Nationals, but you claim to have. 
And now you want me to explain why you have noticed it. Sorry, but I’m not willing to do the research for you to substantiate your claim.

4 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

How am I flip flopping, the thread was silly, and I'm not taking this that seriously..... You drinking this morning?

Would you feel more confident driving over a tall bridge knowing it was completely engineered and built by men, or the bridge completely engineered and built by women?

If you were flying commercial and the airplane had some serious mechanical failures, would you prefer a male or female pilot?

1 hour ago, MANIAC998 said:

So none of us are allowed to criticize any Pro’s??

TT Pro is going to be a slobber-fest with the exclusion of criticism. You & mog will have fun with each other though.

Don't drag me down with him lol 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

I do follow MX & SX, but I haven’t noticed more women racing the Outdoor Nationals, but you claim to have. 
And now you want me to explain why you have noticed it. Sorry, but I’m not willing to do the research for you to substantiate your claim.

In the past few years we've seen at least two women qualify for and race an outdoor national, it may be more women than that. Only one woman has ever qualified for the fast 40 in supercross and she didn't make the main event, only got to race in her heat race. 

4 minutes ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Would you feel more confident driving over a tall bridge knowing it was completely engineered and built by men, or the bridge completely engineered and built by women?

If you were flying commercial and the airplane had some serious mechanical failures, would you prefer a male or female pilot?

Wouldn't matter. 

I'd prefer the most skilled pilot period. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

29 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

How am I flip flopping, the thread was silly, and I'm not taking this that seriously..... You drinking this morning?

Ok maybe you’re not flip flopping. We will all work harder to learn your standard of too silly or too serious. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

In fact I think you'll find the opposite, actually I'm certain you'll find the opposite. The more extreme difficult you get the larger percentage of women there are compared to men. 

Is physically demanding what defines manly? I've already shown that as something becomes more physically demanding the smaller the gap is between men and women's performance. So that is in fact a very poor indicator of a sports "manliness". A better definition of manliness is something that takes courage, men have more testosterone than women and are willing to take greater risks. Where you'll find a higher percentage of men than women is in sports that take courage or brute strength. You know, things that testosterone helps with. 

You brought up an article that compares what they called ultra endurance and showed women excel at it.  That's such a small subset so you're talking off in the weeds on the extreme end of the bell curve.  While you'll find a lot of women doing figure skating I don't see too many doing bull riding, ice hockey, or MX compared to men.  What they've found is that when you push your body to the extreme limit to where you're ready to pass out and are hallucinating women do better than men.  Fantastic, glad to hear it.  Not really all that relevant when it comes to MX vs SX though.  Bull Riding and Ice Skating are both difficult sports, but Ice Skating isn't as manly.

As for the conversation at hand, in a way I'd say SX is the most manly.  Why?  Anybody can ride a bike over natural terrain and say hey that was fun.  A man, oh he says hell no.  A man gets out his dozer and builds a 120 foot triple.  That's a guy thing.  As for testosterone, I'm not sure I'm manly enough to know anymore I feel like mine's dropped off like a rock.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

You brought up an article that compares what they called ultra endurance and showed women excel at it.  That's such a small subset so you're talking off in the weeds on the extreme end of the bell curve.  While you'll find a lot of women doing figure skating I don't see too many doing bull riding, ice hockey, or MX compared to men.  What they've found is that when you push your body to the extreme limit to where you're ready to pass out and are hallucinating women do better than men.  Fantastic, glad to hear it.  Not really all that relevant when it comes to MX vs SX though.  Bull Riding and Ice Skating are both difficult sports, but Ice Skating isn't as manly.

As for the conversation at hand, in a way I'd say SX is the most manly.  Why?  Anybody can ride a bike over natural terrain and say hey that was fun.  A man, oh he says hell no.  A man gets out his dozer and builds a 120 foot triple.  That's a guy thing.  As for testosterone, I'm not sure I'm manly enough to know anymore I feel like mine's dropped off like a rock.

I brought up that article because Manica998 said that motocross is more manly because it's tougher to do physically, higher temperatures and longer races. That's why I brought up the endurance thing. You see, just because it takes more endurance doesn't make it more manly was my point to HIM. 

I agree on the bull riding thing, high risk sport, fewer women willing to compete. Same as SX vs. MX. SX is higher risk and more scarey with nothing but big jumps.

Sounds like you and I are actually in agreement about both of your points. 🍻

We're just going to debate who's tougher, men or women all day....jeeeez??!!  Can we please get this runaway thread back on course and start bashing Webb again?  That was way more fun. 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

In the past few years we've seen at least two women qualify for and race an outdoor national, it may be more women than that. Only one woman has ever qualified for the fast 40 in supercross and she didn't make the main event, only got to race in her heat race.

This is why I asked.  Making the SX main means top 22.  No woman has ever finished top 22 in a AMA Pro MX race either AFAIK.

Conclusion:  Inconclusive.  Both are difficult.

Edited by redrider144

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

Actually the more exposure women and girls get the more likely they are to do some things like bull riding. A woman interested could certainly get in a dozer and build a 120 foot triple. In the 70s women were not even allow to officially run in marathons and women have shown to be quite capable in marathons and ultras.

Other sports like MMA and Boxing now have lots of women who are pretty damn good. Even in the 80s you didn't see that --participation matters. Not saying there aren't differences just that using playing the game gives a better idea of capabilities. Just to assume because of convention is likely misleading in a lot of cases.

When I was a kid riding my Hodaka there were no girls or women riding dirtbikes period. Now it is much different,  lots of dads are teaching their daughters to ride dirtbikes and ATVs (and other stuff). And one of the teenage girls down my street rides a yz250f and kicks ass. TBH I was watching her ride one day and I thought she was a boy long hair. Nice kid too.

Edited by Chaconne

2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

…. So ask yourself, does it take more courage to ride a supercross track at race pace or a motocross track?

Q: Self, does it take more courage to ride a Supercross track at race pace or a motocross track?

A: Self, a motocross track you dumb&%$#@!.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

This is why I asked.  Making the SX main means top 22.  No woman has ever finished top 22 in a AMA Pro MX race either AFAIK.

Conclusion:  Inconclusive.  Both are difficult.

Ahh but we're talking about the 250 class right? Well in that case there are two championships, east coast and west coast, so you've effectively got half of the riders on each coast. So I'd say being top 20 in the 250sx is like being top 40 in the combined AMA outdoor races since everyone is open to riding there. 

The fact is far more women compete in motocross than supercross, so by nature that means SX is more of a mans sport. 

And now you've replied twice but claim you don't have a dog in this fight. So I say to you!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b73e187a-fa09-481d-a188-e34869708e8a

Edited by KTMRider4Life
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Ahh but we're talking about the 250 class right? Well in that case there are two championships, east coast and west coast, so you've effectively got half of the riders on each coast. So I'd say being top 20 in the 250sx is like being top 40 in the combined AMA outdoor races since everyone is open to riding there. 

The fact is far more women compete in motocross than supercross, so by nature that means SX is more of a mans sport. 

And now you've replied twice but claim you don't have a dog in this fight. So I say to you!

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b73e187a-fa09-481d-a188-e34869708e8a

The fact is far more people... men included compete in motocross than supercross. It's a niche market within a niche market.

• Helpful 1

7 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I wish that vid clip would have embedded.....good one LOL.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I read this all the time in here and I can’t help but think, that’s what these fat 40+ year old guys that have been riding motocross their whole lives tell themselves.  Let’s put them on a supercross track and see just how “manly” they are. 

You and all the other “motocross is for the real men” folks would look like it’s your first day riding a motorcycle on a supercross track. 

Lol, that would be me.

*Immediately gets cross-rutted and jumps into tuff block, refuses to re-enter track.

• Helpful 1

1 minute ago, Capt. Fun Police said:

Lol, that would be me.

*Immediately gets cross-rutted and jumps into tuff block, refuses to re-enter track.

Fact: All of these guys could ride a pro motocross track and look like they know how to ride a motocross bike.

Also Fact: Put all of these guys here on a supercross track and they'd look like they were trying to ice skate in tennis shoes. 

But hey, they're super manly because they ride motocross!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Wouldn't matter. 

I'd prefer the most skilled pilot period. 

Ah see you are playing silly.