Is the future nothing but racers and dual sports?

17 minutes ago, Bigfatredpig said:

This must be more cult behavior I don’t understand. 

When I was a kid my dad told me "Get a job when you grow up, so you can buy a house and some dirtbikes"... 

Everything worked out...

If I joined a cult, it really isn't that bad..

Edited by Timothy Whitney
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Timothy Whitney said:

When I was a kid my dad told me "Get a job when you grow up, so you can buy a house and some dirtbikes"... 

Everything worked out...

If I joined a cult, it really isn't that bad..

Nice. My dad told me "what the hell is wrong with you". He told me that a lot. 

Edited by MalusAsinae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

Cool story bro.

Stop riding some of the best terrain in the world because you don't want to register a dirtbike.

What a good solution.  

Orwellian...? ?  you gonna slap down a 70 pound stack of paper and call it a medical plan too?

The bigger picture is how our growing govt is regulating everything. My dad works in healthcare and the paperwork, regulations, and restrictions are truly absurd at this point. Did you beg your politicians to give you free healthcare because a short trip to the hospital will cost you $50k? Instead, maybe you should ask why a drug that costs $5 to make in China sells for $600 at the ER because of the regulations the company has to go through to develop and sell drugs. This also prevents smaller competitors for selling at cheaper prices, leading to a monopoly. People will pay whatever is needed for medical supplies since the alternative is to suffer or die, so the top company can sell the drug for sky high prices.

Did that 30 minute cardiac cath procedure cost you $10k? A significant portion of that cost is because big pharma lobbied the govt into banning doctors from sterilizing catheters for reuse because of "safety" while every other country in the world reuses theirs. Oh, and a new catheter (which is a piece of flexible rubber) costs $2,300.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " -Ronald Reagan. Maybe you should listen to a president who peacefully ended the Cold War instead of believing that anyone currently at Capitol Hill has your best interests in mind...

If you keep letting the govt get more and more control they will slowly strangle you in the long run. Our founding fathers understood this and so this nation was founded on the principle of small government and big people, not big govt and small people. All totalitarian states throughout history have used this model: gradually increase regulations and govt control until they control everything. You can enjoy riding a dirt bike in Italy (where the U.S. will be soon) where my cousin and his wife who work 12 hours a day as doctors makes basically the same salary as the part time garbage collector. He can barely afford an economy car, forget about that nice 4x4 truck, trailer, and dirt bike that we all want. I think that something like 80% of his salary goes to taxes. Only a few super rich people from wealthy families can afford nice things there.

With the way things are currently going, give us another 15-20 years and all dirt bikes will be illegal or you will have to be extremely rich to get/own one. Govt services are not free and are taken out of your salary. You can laugh and shrug me off but, in 2035, when the National EPA Service Rangers come and impound your dirt bike in Cali because it was producing 1 more gram of CO2 than what was acceptable and you have to pay a $5,000 climate reparations fine from the Green New Deal, or when 1 gallon of premium gas is $10 because of a new green tax, or when you get arrested for exceeding your quota of "polluting vehicle riding hours", I'll be the one laughing.

Edited by RB55
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RB55 said:

The bigger picture is how our growing govt is regulating everything. My dad works in healthcare and the paperwork, regulations, and restrictions are truly absurd at this point. Did you beg your politicians to give you free healthcare because a short trip to the hospital will cost you $50k? Instead, maybe you should ask why a drug that costs $5 to make in China sells for $600 at the ER because of the regulations the company has to go through to develop and sell drugs. This also prevents smaller competitors for selling at cheaper prices, leading to a monopoly. People will pay whatever is needed for medical supplies since the alternative is to suffer or die, so the top company can sell the drug for sky high prices.

Did that 30 minute cardiac cath procedure cost you $10k? A significant portion of that cost is because big pharma lobbied the govt into banning doctors from sterilizing catheters for reuse because of "safety" while every other country in the world reuses theirs. Oh, and a new catheter (which is a piece of flexible rubber) costs $2,300.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " -Ronald Reagan. Maybe you should listen to a president who peacefully ended the Cold War instead of believing that anyone currently at Capitol Hill has your best interests in mind...

If you keep letting the govt get more and more control they will slowly strangle you in the long run. Our founding fathers understood this and so this nation was founded on the principle of small government and big people, not big govt and small people. All totalitarian states throughout history have used this model: gradually increase regulations and govt control until they control everything. You can enjoy riding a dirt bike in Italy (where the U.S. will be soon) where my cousin and his wife who work 12 hours a day as doctors makes basically the same salary as the part time garbage collector. He can barely afford an economy car, forget about that nice 4x4 truck, trailer, and dirt bike that we all want. I think that something like 80% of his salary goes to taxes. Only a few super rich people from wealthy families can afford nice things there.

With the way things are currently going, give us another 15-20 years and all dirt bikes will be illegal or you will have to be extremely rich to get/own one. Govt services are not free and are taken out of your salary. You can laugh and shrug me off but, in 2035, when the National EPA Service Rangers come and impound your dirt bike in Cali because it was producing 1 more gram of CO2 than what was acceptable and you have to pay a $5,000 climate reparations fine from the Green New Deal, or when 1 gallon of premium gas is $10 because of a new green tax, or when you get arrested for exceeding your quota of "polluting vehicle riding hours", I'll be the one laughing.

Well said. 

4 minutes ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

This is a thread about dirtbikes. 

You guys have your own thread area to clutter up with nonsense that has nothing to do with this conversation. 

I don't like to bring politics into anything because it divides people but unfortunately we have to...emissions and other govt regulations definitely affect us and our machines :(

Edited by RB55

1 hour ago, RB55 said:

I don't like to bring politics into anything because it divides people but unfortunately we have to...emissions and other govt regulations definitely affect us and our machines :(

Sure. But every thread doesn't need to be littered with it.

There is an entire area on the forum to go on and on about things you will never change people's minds about. 

Wandering from bike registration to your brothers income as a doctor in Italy,  is an awkward stretch and probably furthest from the premise of the post.

Edited by Turn,TheScrew
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

Sure. But every thread doesn't need to be littered with it.

There is an entire area on the forum to go on and on about things you will never change people's minds about. 

Wandering from bike registration to your brothers income as a doctor in Italy,  is an awkward stretch and probably furthest from the premise of the post.

I fart in your general direction. 

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, RB55 said:

???agreed

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Start buying land for trails. That will allow you to have riding areas you can pass down the generations. 

Great idea. Another idea is to start or join a club or group and pool resources to purchase land for recreational purposes and sell memberships to others to ride or hunt or camp. Some folks are doing this with good results. Liabilities are limited in most situations because it is strictly used by members/owners and as owners they certainly would not be able to sue themselves if injured. If competition or dual sport events were held it would certainly require additional rider liability on a per event insurance plan. Just a thought for you guys rolling in the dough.

• Like 2

CA is just the first state to implement national EPA guidelines (because of course they are).

There's a long story behind that too. One in which bike makers had a very long chance to build cleaner bikes but just didn't. Well, the one making all the two strokes didn't at least. The others did, they just still sell them with loud exhaust.

CA sucks for doing this in light of what's a real contributor to emissions in the state but I don't really see this spreading everywhere else. Because going after dirtbikes when planes trains, autos and energy production just keep chugging along is just moronic. There are some VERY simple things bike makers could do that wouldn't effect performance one lick, they just haven't.

But all you non californians seem to have a very warped idea of what goes on in the hills and the deserts there. Trail bikes aren't going anywhere other than the state run OHV parks where you have to go through a gate to get in. They're just going to go where they were before all the regs.....back underground in california. I don't really see this spreading nationwide other than like cars, CA has the biggest single market share of purchases so the bikes might spread, but not the dumb regulations going after dirtbikes for some reason. If emissions/pollution/global warming is your thing, dirtbikes are the chairs being arranged on the titanic.

To the larger question though, the only thing I see changing is how bikes are fed fuel and how effectively they burn it. We're already there with 4 strokes and almost there with two strokes. They just need to also do what snowmobiles do and come with a real sound dampening muffler. You can take the damn thing off if you want. Ask a snowmobiler.

Edited by kidwoo
  • Like 1

The modern dual sport is a far cry from the dual sports in the 80s-early 2000s. They are in a way very similar to their race ready counterparts, of course with a quiet exhaust and other equipment, that will take you all of 2 hours to delete. The red sticker rule is going nowhere, therefore as you can imagine, dirt bikes are probably also going nowhere, the big four and the euro brands will probably keep pumping out supercross and enduro cross ready bikes. The old XR lineup in a certain way was replaced, the 250-450 motocross bike was able to be adapted to any environment, from the woods to the desert and even now the street. The XRs only had one real thing going for them in my opinion and that was probably the engine package. The XR line up in this day and age probably doesn't have much relevance outside of dual sporting. The CR line up would likely be a red KTM in an aluminum frame as well if it were to be introduced. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JustinXR said:

The red sticker rule is going nowhere,

Well to be fair, the red sticker rule is literally expiring next year ?

2021 and previous....welcome to your new green sticker!!!

2022 and on......if it ain't on this list, you're not a citizen of the rich coastal people's republic!! (or at least your bike isn't)

I guess I gotta ride some newer dual sports. But I really love my little 210-220lb two strokes for a reason though.......

Edited by kidwoo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RB55 said:

Wrong forum...