Matt82

Is the future nothing but racers and dual sports?

8 hours ago, RB55 said:

The bigger picture is how our growing govt is regulating everything. My dad works in healthcare and the paperwork, regulations, and restrictions are truly absurd at this point. Did you beg your politicians to give you free healthcare because a short trip to the hospital will cost you $50k? Instead, maybe you should ask why a drug that costs $5 to make in China sells for $600 at the ER because of the regulations the company has to go through to develop and sell drugs. This also prevents smaller competitors for selling at cheaper prices, leading to a monopoly. People will pay whatever is needed for medical supplies since the alternative is to suffer or die, so the top company can sell the drug for sky high prices.

Did that 30 minute cardiac cath procedure cost you $10k? A significant portion of that cost is because big pharma lobbied the govt into banning doctors from sterilizing catheters for reuse because of "safety" while every other country in the world reuses theirs. Oh, and a new catheter (which is a piece of flexible rubber) costs $2,300.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " -Ronald Reagan. Maybe you should listen to a president who peacefully ended the Cold War instead of believing that anyone currently at Capitol Hill has your best interests in mind...

If you keep letting the govt get more and more control they will slowly strangle you in the long run. Our founding fathers understood this and so this nation was founded on the principle of small government and big people, not big govt and small people. All totalitarian states throughout history have used this model: gradually increase regulations and govt control until they control everything. You can enjoy riding a dirt bike in Italy (where the U.S. will be soon) where my cousin and his wife who work 12 hours a day as doctors makes basically the same salary as the part time garbage collector. He can barely afford an economy car, forget about that nice 4x4 truck, trailer, and dirt bike that we all want. I think that something like 80% of his salary goes to taxes. Only a few super rich people from wealthy families can afford nice things there.

With the way things are currently going, give us another 15-20 years and all dirt bikes will be illegal or you will have to be extremely rich to get/own one. Govt services are not free and are taken out of your salary. You can laugh and shrug me off but, in 2035, when the National EPA Service Rangers come and impound your dirt bike in Cali because it was producing 1 more gram of CO2 than what was acceptable and you have to pay a $5,000 climate reparations fine from the Green New Deal, or when 1 gallon of premium gas is $10 because of a new green tax, or when you get arrested for exceeding your quota of "polluting vehicle riding hours", I'll be the one laughing.

Wrong forum...

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-01/Red Sticker Guidance Document for Riders.pdf This is from the horses mouth, I have no reason to believe they won't keep pushing it back. Anyways, its about time to get myself a killer deal on a sweet red sticker 450 and take it everywhere but soviet controlled trails. 

12 hours ago, JustinXR said:

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-01/Red Sticker Guidance Document for Riders.pdf This is from the horses mouth, I have no reason to believe they won't keep pushing it back. Anyways, its about time to get myself a killer deal on a sweet red sticker 450 and take it everywhere but soviet controlled trails. 

I'm not going to bore you with what's been going on this year because the final rule still hasn't been completely worked out in some ways, but that version is possibly about to get worse with some state legislation.  I'm to stay kind of tangentially involved so I promise I'm not trying to steer you wrong. That is the rule for now. What's going on additionally is just some minor back and forth about just how shitty it's going to be for using the things on public land.

I will say this. If you live in CA and wonder why the only way possible to use a former red sticker bike in CA next year involves an AMA license, just know that's because the AMA made sure it was written that way....  And I don't mean that as a compliment.

Edited by kidwoo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, JustinXR said:

I will trust that is true, as much as it sucks, I take it that this will not be applying to used older model dirt bikes? 

Correct. Anything 2021 and earlier gets grandfathered in and will be a green sticker next time you renew your registration.

Any other state that takes this on like this would be insane in my opinion.

Edited by kidwoo

Really my question was, from a business standpoint, is there any real reason to keep making off road bikes that aren’t street legal, other than race bikes? If they will be putting the emissions stuff on them all anyways(again, other than race bikes), why not make them road legal as well if that is only a few lights and a horn away?

like I said before, I look at my 450X and see a 450L minus the street legal stuff and think “this bike is kind of pointless”

Edited by Matt82

11 hours ago, Matt82 said:

Really my question was, from a business standpoint, is there any real reason to keep making off road bikes that aren’t street legal, other than race bikes? If they will be putting the emissions stuff on them all anyways(again, other than race bikes), why not make them road legal as well if that is only a few lights and a horn away?

weight, complexity, "shlt I can fix while upside down on a rocky switchback on a 40 degree pitch"

Not all of us cruise around on roads, dirt or otherwise. Light, simple bikes in the desert or woods are rad. "racing" or not

All removeable and doesn't rely on a battery? sure why not, we can take it off. Dirtbikers gotta get away from this 'but I needs a battery for startums' nonsense. A fully fuel injected (direct injection if needed) battery free setup is entirely possible..that's what's in snowmobiles. You can do a lot with a stator. And I yank a rope to start my 800cc sled literally upside down in tree wells so we can use our little chicken legs to keep things light and simple on dirtbikes.

Edited by kidwoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I need my button. Nearly 60 with a 40 percent paralyzed right leg. Button is good! Not absolutely necessary but it can extend my ride days and hours quite a bit. Estart and injection will get better. Lighter etc. With the button i do harder stuff more often with more fun.

17 minutes ago, Jeff Gaston said:

I need my button. Nearly 60 with a 40 percent paralyzed right leg. Button is good! Not absolutely necessary but it can extend my ride days and hours quite a bit. Estart and injection will get better. Lighter etc. With the button i do harder stuff more often with more fun.

I just need one because I'm lazy. But maybe I'll start telling people my leg is paralyzed. 

Edited by MalusAsinae

19 hours ago, Big Ron L said:

the sport has become way to expensive. i think Honda and Kawai are going in the right direction though with making some new trail bikes though like the CRF 250 and the KLX 300. they need to make 400/450cc versions of these bikes and put headlights on them like the old XRs. i would buy one and i bet alot of others would as well. 

Yes!! I feel like a comfortable, bare bones, indestructible trail bike would sell really well

No you just keep being lazy. I'll keep being paralyzed and lazy. Now if my right thumb gets paralyzed im really fubard

Edited by Jeff Gaston
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kidwoo said:

I'm not going to bore you with what's been going on this year because the final rule still hasn't been signed, but that version is WAY out of date at this point. I'm kind of tangentially involved so I promise I'm not trying to steer you wrong. What I posted before is going to be the rule. What's going on now is just some minor back and forth about just how shitty it's going to be for using the things on public land.

I will say this. If you live in CA and wonder why the only way possible to use a former red sticker bike in CA next year involves an AMA license, just know that's because the AMA made sure it was written that way....  And I don't mean that as a compliment.

Is AMA channeling their inner NRA?

11 hours ago, kidwoo said:

Well to be fair, the red sticker rule is literally expiring next year 😉

2021 and previous....welcome to your new green sticker!!!

2022 and on......if it ain't on this list, you're not a citizen of the rich coastal people's republic!! (or at least your bike isn't)

I guess I gotta ride some newer dual sports. But I really love my little 210-220lb two strokes for a reason though.......

If you do not need a plate, they probably are not worth it ! 

But I love being able to ride from my house, to the coffee shop, and then out to the single track.  I personally like going all weekend without having to get into my truck and drive somewhere. 

The extra weight is worth it to me for that reason, and I never complain that my 350 cant make it up something.

Edited by Timothy Whitney

Honestly hauling bikes out to the site is part of the experience for me. I just like how primitive and indestructible these motocross bikes are, at least the japanese ones are, theres some cheap bs hanging out inside those orange bikes. 

18 minutes ago, JustinXR said:

Honestly hauling bikes out to the site is part of the experience for me. I just like how primitive and indestructible these motocross bikes are, at least the japanese ones are, theres some cheap bs hanging out inside those orange bikes. 

That is a lot of fun also! Thats why I can justify a camper and a YZ125x for my vacation trips. Its the stay-cations where I really like dualsports. And to the OPs question I think they do a good job, so im cool with more and more of them being made. 

If Yamaha makes a WR450 dual sport I'm going to buy it.