502Racing

Pandemic prices, ‘95 CR250R what’s a good deal these days?

For quite some time I’ve had my eye out for a cheap, (Probably roached) 95 or 96 CR250R with the intent of doing a mostly historically correct restoration. The end goal is to have it be close to McGrath’s 95 bike. I’ve also got a 99 YZ250 and a 97RM250. I would like to basically make the 3 accurate McGrath tribute bikes. My boys and I have another guy with an 03 CR250R and we do 2 stroke only ride days. (Yes, we all own and love a four stroke or two as well. 
Long story short, (too late, I know) a friend noticed this bike on the local selling site, a 95 CR for 2000$, just came online. I texted, told the seller I would take it if it started when I got there. It did, and actually runs well and shifts all gears. 
I bought it as I said I would but with reservations. 
Clutch perch broken. Master cylinder broken. Plastics painted black. Modest Rust in wear spots. Wheels original and surprisingly round and undamaged. Factory pipe chromed with a couple small to medium dents. I’ll try to add a couple pics after washing it today...

2 years ago I wouldn’t have paid 800$ for it, but pandemic prices what they are, I think I did ok. It seems prices are up about 50% or more ?  I’ve only seen a couple recently and both were at or near 4K, one did not even run for 3800$

98AE66FD-EDB1-43EE-9DE6-4CAC1F5B16D1.jpeg

EEA98322-B097-4358-9253-53EEFB2440E9.jpeg

As you well know? You should? There are no new bikes on the show room floors. When they do hit there gone ASAP. So the used bike owners have jumped on the band wagon, good for them, bad for the buyer's.. It's the new old saying top end fresh, bottom good?? Bull shit! You get the bike home take one short ride on your 26 year old new bike that you paid $2,000.00 for and poof! Same old bull shit story on these used bikes. The seller's, most are liar's from hell! So now you have a 26 year old bike for $2K and looking at another $1500.00 in rebuild if your lucky! Good luck!

• Sad 1

Just an observation but that bike seems to be missing the shock's mudflap (under the airbox)

Inspect the shaft for pitting from debris kicked up by the rear tire.

Unfortunately a 10$ item that's often thought to be only cosmetic but prevents damage an expensive component.

No one twisting anybody's arm, for non-essential goods the sales price is worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

This 96 sold for 1600 couple years ago. Brandnew oem crank, bearings,seals, piston and replated cylinder from powerseal. Raced it couple times before rebuild was nice bike definitely my favorite Honda 

Screenshot_20200915-114303.png

• Like 1

I think the '96 had the same Kayaba's as the '95, If so that is a huge plus. My '95, once revalved by a CO guru was magical in any terrain at any speed. Have never felt anything even semi close, any brand, any year including a 21 GG. The motor and steel frame made it a pure pleasure to ride, got better every time I rode it. It kept challenging me to push harder and rewarded me when I did. Would buy another nice one in a heartbeat.

Edited by AngieRider
  • Like 1

I’m glad I filled up my restorations quantity as I picked up a 90 Yamaha YZ250WR for $250 a 92 Yamaha YZ250 for $300 4 Yamaha YZ80s for $600 and a 1981 Yamaha YZ80 for $250 plus several others some deals can still be had if you look like a 1985 Honda XL100S for $100 it needed new valves and all the head was already rebuilt and a new top end gasket set and a new set of levers to replace the old ones I also picked up a 1997 Suzuki RM250 rolling chassis for $150 and just sold the set of forks for $400 and another guy wants the subframe and both fenders $160 that pays for the bike and the rest is profit 

• Like 2

This guy wants 6k and uses a China junk wrench rabbit kit instead of OEM crank and bearings 😑 crazy. 96 I did bottom pics had all OEM parts and fresh powerseal cylinder sold for 1600 lol 

Screenshot_20210611-090254.png

Screenshot_20210611-090304.png

Screenshot_20210611-085600.png

Screenshot_20210611-090100.png