Jump to content
hawaiidirtrider

DBT 2021 BETA 200 rr

Recommended Posts

Great review. Brought up something I never heard before, the precision and throw of the clutch. Left out things I expected like not enough steering lock. Confirmed what everyone knows, the engine is top notch. Surprised us with no complaints about handling and steering.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy always has a fairly well rounded and fair review of bikes, this is no exception. His opinion mirrors mine, the bike is really unique in power delivery. I don't think ANY bike is out of the box perfect, as any will need some suspension tweaks, or other minor tuning to get it to suit the rider. 

 

I still want one for the fleet. My 300's are great, don't get me wrong. But the 200 just puts a big smile on my face. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, firffighter said:

More 200 love. Fun bike. Enjoyed riding one last year in Idaho.  

 

 Wow, so even Trans Moto guys like Beta's? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

Jimmy finds out something that everybody that has ridden a Beta 200 already knows - the motor is fantastic.

Maybe someday beta will put suspension on it that compliments that fantastic motor. Plus offer an easy solution other than Ohlins to get quality suspension for earlier years. Shock is able to be worked with. My biggest complaint is with the forks. Lots of threads about swapping, but for the average or below average mechanic some of the parts of the process are confusing. I want a bolt on KYB swap from beta that will work for the 19. Not all of us understand certain lengths and offsets, Nice to be able to buy something where that is figured out buy people who understand those things.

Edited by Eric72
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Great review. Brought up something I never heard before, the precision and throw of the clutch. Left out things I expected like not enough steering lock. Confirmed what everyone knows, the engine is top notch. Surprised us with no complaints about handling and steering.

It all depends I guess.There’s no surprise anout handling and steering here.  More times than not I’ll take JL for the better review of anyone. Still it still comes down to how you gel with your bike. It’s taking notes . I will say that the 200 rr is probably around the most sought after local bike . The bike is awesome and no one talks about suspension issues at all. Some aren’t as happy with the turning radius for switchbacks but in open riding you don’t even notice it. I know no one that doesn’t like Betas handling. With YZ’s and Honda guys knew to change different offset triples etc for better turning and overall suspension setup. With Beta no one is doing that to improve turning or whatever. Its set up suspension..springs for your weight blah blah blah..It’s good to note the different experiences and choices of others . It doesn’t mean it will always apply to you though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

Maybe someday beta will put suspension on it that compliments that fantastic motor. Plus offer an easy solution other than Ohlins to get quality suspension for earlier years. Shock is able to be worked with. My biggest complaint is with the forks. Lots of threads about swapping, but for the average or below average mechanic some of the parts of the process are confusing. I want a bolt on KYB swap from beta that will work for the 19. Not all of us understand certain lengths and offsets, Nice to be able to buy something where that is figured out buy people who understand those things.

 Really nothing wrong with the suspension that can’t be tuned or modified to work and last better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

 Really nothing wrong with the suspension that can’t be tuned or modified to work and last better. 

Disagree the sachs forks are not reliable and do not preform like a beta converted to KYB`s end of story. Why beta keeps using an inferior fork on these bikes just does not make sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

Maybe someday beta will put suspension on it that compliments that fantastic motor. Plus offer an easy solution other than Ohlins to get quality suspension for earlier years. Shock is able to be worked with. My biggest complaint is with the forks. Lots of threads about swapping, but for the average or below average mechanic some of the parts of the process are confusing. I want a bolt on KYB swap from beta that will work for the 19. Not all of us understand certain lengths and offsets, Nice to be able to buy something where that is figured out buy people who understand those things.

How's Spring riding been up there? 

I saw that Don sold his Beta 200rr, even after all the suspension work. 

Do you feel the Beta 200rr forks could work for you if you had them revalved, say by Les? 

I think the motor and light weight make for a fantastic foundation, and if you can get the forks to work, then might be worth the extra time and money.

I know it's disappointing to buy a new bike and have the suspension not meet expectations and dump more money into it.  My 300rr forks were really bad, some of the worst  I've owned stock for our terrain.  

I think the one important thing here is hearing from actual owners,  not speculation. 

I'm glad to hear from you and your experience,  since you're local,  have the 200RR, and have even ridden with someone like Don,  who is very particular about suspension and bike setup.

That's huge

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

Disagree the sachs forks are not reliable and do not preform like a beta converted to KYB`s end of story. Why beta keeps using an inferior fork on these bikes just does not make sense. 

Forks are just a tool. You can put any valving you want in them. The KYB's sucked/suck as delivered.

From the MXA test of the RX:

Q: WHAT DID WE HATE?

A: The hate list:

(1) Forks. The Kayaba AOS forks have potential, but without adequate spring or valving support, they are no good. The fork is way too soft for motocross. 

 

The 2019 RE sachs forks were praised by many, but the BRAND NAME lack of familiarity had poisoned them by then.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

 Really nothing wrong with the suspension that can’t be tuned or modified to work and last better. 

I think that hearing from actual 200rr owners is valuable and the fact that he's also owned the 300rr and rides really tight NW woods makes a huge difference in perspective.  

I don't think dismissing his experience as an actual owner of the model being discussed is very objective.  

Also, If you listened to Jimmy closely he hit on the fact that there was very narrow field of plush vs harsh and when they found a decent setting,  it was still bottoming.  

There have been several who have felt the forks weren't up to par with other manufacturers,  that's not breaking news. 

Suspension is objective obviously,  but bringing in the RX into this discussion or saying that the KYB's suck is pretty obtuse considering we're talking about the 200rr which he actually owns. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, firffighter said:

I think that hearing from actual 200rr owners is valuable and the fact that he's also owned the 300rr and rides really tight NW woods makes a huge difference in perspective.  

I don't think dismissing his experience as an actual owner of the model being discussed is very objective.  

Also, If you listened to Jimmy closely he hit on the fact that there was very narrow field of plush vs harsh and when they found a decent setting,  it was still bottoming.  

There have been several who have felt the forks weren't up to par with other manufacturers,  that's not breaking news. 

Suspension is objective obviously,  but bringing in the RX into this discussion or saying that the KYB's suck is pretty obtuse considering we're talking about the 200rr which he actually owns. 

 

 

 It doesn't matter which model he rides (I didn't know though). A Sachs with a MXT Lucky is as good as anything anywhere (with hard coatings). 

I have seen over and over and over people who don't understand the setup of a Beta, they are choppered out of the box. They never get it. It's not the suspension, it's the chassis balance.

I have no affinity for the single sided ZF forks, but reviews have been very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

Whatever your a moron and does not know your ass from the hole in your exhaust. Your a bigger beta homer then HDR and just as annoying. I give little importance to your posts. You just another one of the interweb dirtbikers who thinks he know it all be know nothing. 

Great argument when you have nothing. Insults and memes coming next.

A KYB and Sachs has interchangeable legs and uppers. It's what's inside that counts.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

 It doesn't matter which model he rides (I didn't know though). A Sachs with a MXT Lucky is as good as anything anywhere (with hard coatings). 

I have seen over and over and over people who don't understand the setup of a Beta, they are choppered out of the box. They never get it. It's not the suspension, it's the chassis balance.

I have no affinity for the single sided ZF forks, but reviews have been very good.

The problem JD is that you don't have any experience actually owning a modern Beta, so you're just regurgitating the BS you see online, especially the hogwash about chassis imbalance. 

You're more concerned with what Vital MX says, than the experience from guys who actually own 200RR and have time on them

I'd take some stock in you're assessment,  but you simply don't have any experience and owning a '15 Beta dualsport and riding MX, just doesn't mean much to guys who actually own and ride these bikes on a regular basis and ride them in very different and challenging terrain than yours.

The topic is the 200RR and you're coming in here as an expert on the bike's capabilities and suspension without owning one.  

Sorry,  your posts just fall flat.

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, firffighter said:

The problem JD is that you don't have any experience actually owning a modern Beta, so you're just regurgitating the BS you see online, especially the hogwash about chassis imbalance. 

I'd take some stock in you're assessment,  but you simply don't have any experience and owning a '15 Beta dualsport and riding MX, just doesn't mean much to guys who actually own and ride these bikes on a regular basis and ride them in very different and challenging terrain than yours.

The topic is the 200RR and you're coming in here as an expert on the bike's capabilities and suspension without owning one.  

Sorry,  your posts just fall flat.

 That's cool. He can just do like Don and give up on the best platform for what you ride on the planet because he can't figure it out and won't take outside advice to try different settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

 That's cool. He can just do like Don and give up on the best platform for what you ride on the planet because he can't figure it out and won't take outside advice to try different settings.

That's a foolish statement to make considering Don has an Enduro title next to his name,  owned several current bikes to directly compare the Beta 200rr to, including the KTM 150, KTM 250xc, YZ125X, even the Husky TE250 thumper. 

Don made more attempts at getting that fork to work than anyone else I've seen on this site. 

Don also had Les, one of the most well respected and experienced Sachs tuners in the industry share his concerns about the forks. 

Eric has ridden with Don a lot and I'm sure both learned a lot about what does and doesn't work in tight singletrack on the 200RR.

So, you're saying their experience is worthless because you read online about imbalanced chassis and chopper effect,  and your experience is owning a '15 dualsport that you ride MX with? 

Good grief,  how about we let those who actually own these bikes share real riding experience vs this fanboy BS thst Beta can do nothing wrong.  

 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Also, If you listened to Jimmy closely he hit on the fact that there was very narrow field of plush vs harsh and when they found a decent setting,  it was still bottoming.  

 If you listened, he only added 10cc to each leg. A damn waste of time. Add 30cc. 

 Our friend Eric said he didn't understand forks lengths and offset etc. Sounds like he could use some help. He's the one thinking KYB's are magic when he doesn't have any.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

 If you listened, he only added 10cc to each leg. A damn waste of time. Add 30cc. 

 Our friend Eric said he didn't understand forks lengths and offset etc. Sounds like he could use some help. He's the one thinking KYB's are magic when he doesn't have any.

Again,  you have no experience on this bike.

I'd prefer to have those who do share real riding experiences with the 200RR. It's far more trustworthy,  helpful and relative 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...