BIble THUMPER

Dent in tank: hot / cold method?

Very small dent in my DRZ 400 tank - The picture angle makes it appear worse than actual - its where the three black stripes cross the gold paint and meet the blackpaint

Does anyone have experience with heating tank with heat gun and then hitting it with some canned refrigerant? will it cause paint damage or can the dent come out but create a bulge?

I suppose I can put the blood pressure cuff in the tank but does that really work -especially on such a small dent?

Thanks

198557686_505675127317191_1436396299020444455_n.jpg

That's going to be tough to massage out. I'd leave it, like William1 said.

Definitely do not use heat and if you must fix it, freeze water in the tank, just deep enough to cover the dent and the dent at the low point when freezing

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NYMXer said:

That's going to be tough to massage out. I'd leave it, like William1 said.

Definitely do not use heat and if you must fix it, freeze water in the tank, just deep enough to cover the dent and the dent at the low point when freezing

Ok, I may freeze it at the end of season. I wonder though how the freezing works: if there is room in the tank would the frozen water expand into the space aka the point of least resistance? Or perhaps it expands evenly which would make we wonder if it would weaken the seams......

It can definitely be disguised with decals

Can I fill the dent with a filler and cover with a sticker? A type of temporary filler that wont ruin the tank paint?

Thanks for the responses!

1 minute ago, BIble THUMPER said:

Ok, I may freeze it at the end of season. I wonder though how the freezing works: if there is room in the tank would the frozen water expand into the space aka the point of least resistance? Or perhaps it expands evenly which would make we wonder if it would weaken the seams......

It can definitely be disguised with decals

Can I fill the dent with a filler and cover with a sticker? A type of temporary filler that wont ruin the tank paint?

Thanks for the responses!

So, whe n you freeze water in an open glass, the glass still breaks because to create force UP, it pushes sideways an equal amount. You will have to freeze/thaw several times, so be patient and you will get good results.

I don't think it is worth any effort, esp using filler, but it is your bike. Good luck, be patient

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NYMXer said:

So, whe n you freeze water in an open glass, the glass still breaks because to create force UP, it pushes sideways an equal amount. You will have to freeze/thaw several times, so be patient and you will get good results.

I don't think it is worth any effort, esp using filler, but it is your bike. Good luck, be patient

ok, sounds good thank you!

A good PDR guy can take that out easily 

“paint less Dent repair” they have tools that can reach inside and they “massage “ the dent out quite easily..

1 hour ago, Mkus said:

A good PDR guy can take that out easily 

“paint less Dent repair” they have tools that can reach inside and they “massage “ the dent out quite easily..

interesting. I know I could reach in there with a long screw driver and I could place something softer on tip. I saw a video with that. I'm thinking decals are an easy hide though.  Thanks

47 minutes ago, ktmenvy said:

OT: That's an interesting color scheme. Do you have any pictures of the full bike? Thanks.

It's a stock 2015 Suzuki drz400sm. No pics on phone but if you google that model lots of images

56 minutes ago, BIble THUMPER said:

It's a stock 2015 Suzuki drz400sm. No pics on phone but if you google that model lots of images

Cool. Thanks.

DR-Z400SM_BLK_L5_P.png.353373cc1e6b6c235c33fcc90d3685cc.png

Yep. Dentless repair guy. You sound like a tinkerer. You could buy a kit and try it yourself. Not too hard. I would try internal pressure and suction together. I have had good results . Maybe verrry mild careful heat. Sorry! Dentless dent repair?  Meant paintless dent repair. 

Edited by Jeff Gaston
  • Like 2

If it were mine ,I would leave it alone ..  too hard to really notice , 

Then after fixing it ,  something worse would happen . ...  Installed new light bar on Shadow ,  then proceeded to crash it into the storage trailer not more than 2 hrs. Later ...   DAMMIT....

• Like 1

When I tried the water in a exhaust pipe I filled up the pipe and through it in the freezer and left it for a few days big mistake as no one mentioned that I should monitor it and come back to a bulge in the pipe and a 8” split in the seam if you freeze it just needs to freeze enough to push out the dent as solid freezing can cost you a new part 

On 6/10/2021 at 11:35 AM, William1 said:

Dent spoon.

Any heat/cold method will probably damage the paint. I'd just forget about it, too insignificant to rick making a small problem into a large one.

As if that has never happened before, guilty as charged at this end......~~=o&o>........

Edited by ThumperHead