Michael Chillo

Need Help with my 2009 Drz 400sm

So let me start this off by saying I’m not we’ll experienced in doing work on my vehicles and stuff but I was trying to learn. I was starting off by doing an oil change and I took off the wrong part and stripped the screws when trying to put it back in. Does this piece go back in easily and or did I mess the bike up not so sure thanks in advance for the help, Hopefully I will learn from this mistake. Also in the last picture it appears to have a hose running from the carbs I think and it is lose and not connected to anything is it supposed to be like that. 

625BBE51-6C11-4DAC-857C-37B6E4AE1986.jpeg

349BCA3D-AF5F-442A-B574-8CE7FFF3FBC8.jpeg

E3225C33-7B14-46D4-A894-7E07DCC7E11A.jpeg

6DB60B1F-BECA-49FD-A292-DB38C326FB8B.jpeg

A4D856BB-EF9F-49BF-9A16-624783FD63BD.jpeg

The hose is the float bowl vent for the carburetor, it's where it's supposed to go. It just hangs down.

That wrong cover you butchered up trying to do an oil change is the starter torque limiter gear. It is secured with JIS ( Japanese Industrial Standard) screws. The Japanese do not subscribe to the phillips standard. You used the wrong tool and technique for removal and ended up with a mess.

You should get a service manual before doing work on the bike.

Edited by bumtarder
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, bumtarder said:

The hose is the float bowl vent for the carburetor, it's where it's supposed to go. It just hangs down.

That wrong cover you butchered up trying to do an oil change is the starter torque limiter gear. It is secured with JIS ( Japanese Industrial Standard) screws. The Japanese do not subscribe to the phillips standard. You used the wrong tool and technique for removal and ended up with a mess.

You should get a service manual before doing work on the bike.

Lesson learned so for now I just have to remove the screws using an easy out or something of that sort and replace the screws and it should be good to go or is there more involved at this point now. Literally brand new to this stuff trying to learn how do stuff on my own, but thanks for the quick response I really appreciate it. 

Yes, live and learn.  No serious harm done.  I'm actually laughing a bit because I remember stripping out bolt heads when I first started wrenching, I had no idea I needed a "JIS" screwdriver.    I assume the two bolts that have stripped heads did not loosen, believe you just need to get a replacement bolt for the third hole if you can't reuse the original.  Definitely get a service manual, it's a lot cheaper than the repair costs for not having one.  

Yes, the manual if read, likely would have kept you out of this situation.

Since screwheads already damaged, this tool could be your savior https://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html . Does not have the JIS bit but the #3 8mm phillips tip might just do it if enough meat is left. Used correctly it will break screw loose in a very small increment.  Otherwise yes, screw extractor tool required.

Let us know how it goes.

1 hour ago, adkbiker said:

Yes, live and learn.  No serious harm done.  I'm actually laughing a bit because I remember stripping out bolt heads when I first started wrenching, I had no idea I needed a "JIS" screwdriver.    I assume the two bolts that have stripped heads did not loosen, believe you just need to get a replacement bolt for the third hole if you can't reuse the original.  Definitely get a service manual, it's a lot cheaper than the repair costs for not having one.  

Yea definitely learned my lesson here thankfully nothing to crazy I saw somewhere that you can switch to 6mm 16mm thread hexbolts to avoid issues like this in the future, or just don’t be dumb and touch things you shouldn’t lol, just going to be annoying to get the 2 stuck ones out. 

You can take a Dremel die grinder with a cut off wheel and grind a slot in the screw heads for a flat blade screwdriver to fit then use a impact driver with a tight fitting bit and break them loose and replace with new screws.

Edited by bumtarder
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Ruggage said:

Yes, the manual if read, likely would have kept you out of this situation.

Since screwheads already damaged, this tool could be your savior https://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html . Does not have the JIS bit but the #3 8mm phillips tip might just do it if enough meat is left. Used correctly it will break screw loose in a very small increment.  Otherwise yes, screw extractor tool required.

Let us know how it goes.

Order 3 different sets of the ez outs  from Amazon hopefully it works. Thanks 

Fit some Stainless hex head screws in place of the damaged JIS screws, it will make life easier in the long run.  Get a set of JIS drivers from an engineering shop and start a motorcycle toolkit.

• Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, roleyrev said:

Fit some Stainless hex head screws in place of the damaged JIS screws, it will make life easier in the long run.  Get a set of JIS drivers from an engineering shop and start a motorcycle toolkit.

Will do thats the plan thank you I appreciate the advice. 

1 hour ago, Michael Chillo said:

Bumtarder is on to it, the die grinder method combined with impact screwdriver should work. Could put the Amazon extractors in your tool box for later use. 

I feel as a last ditch effort should be the extractor to keep you from drilling on your bike.  Don't know the grade of those screws but if extractor method, consider  using decent US made drill bit. Center punch 1st and your drill bit cannot wander as you drill. Do not want to see the problem compounded.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ruggage said:

Bumtarder is on to it, the die grinder method combined with impact screwdriver should work. Could put the Amazon extractors in your tool box for later use. 

I feel as a last ditch effort should be the extractor to keep you from drilling on your bike.  Don't know the grade of those screws but if extractor method, consider  using decent US made drill bit. Center punch 1st and your drill bit cannot wander as you drill. Do not want to see the problem compounded.

Yes I see that makes sense because after I try that method than I can still use the extractor too if it doesn’t work. I’m Gona try that method first than thank you all for being very helpful to a newbie. 

I’m a KTM guy and swapped out any screw I could on my DRZ with these KTM euro style.  Oh, and one thing to mention, go easy on tightening up your fasteners when you put stuff back together.  Some torque values in the manual will have you snapping fasteners.  

7746AA2F-7CA6-4450-B2D5-5B0EEF0ADCFD.jpeg

20 hours ago, Michael Chillo said:

Try using the rubber band trick to get the screws out first, easy outs should be the last option IMHO.

Foolproof method with tools at hand:  hold a small chisel or screwdriver and tangentally tap (gouge) it into the side perimeter of the screw then continue tapping in a counterclockwise direction. 

You should order some JIS bits or screwdrivers and try your luck with the correct tool .  I’ve loosened some really horrible looking screws with the Motion Pro JIS bits.   You should have some JIS buts anyway,      Until the bits show up just leave the old tight butchered screws in place and ride.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1