jtomasik

RockyMountain ATV/MC

Took some time off of riding (went the boat/wakeboard route for about 6 years).  Got burned out on being the "boat guy", so got rid of it and got a "dual sport" about 3 months back.  Had to get new gear, and I started using RockyMountain ATV/MC (RMATVMC).  In theory, and per their videos, they seem like a great place for info about product.  But the practical application has been pretty much just a sales pitch.  Here's what I've ran into:

Information about sizing of gear is lacking.  They may give a reference point example, but the information is inadequate to make a decent determination what the size of the apparel means to me.  For example, I bought a pair (why do they call it that?) of dual sport riding pants (REVIT  Offtrack part number 1888910003).  Their video showed a "model" who is 6'-3 with a 32 inch waist wearing a medium pant.  I'm 5-10, with a 34 inch waist (hey, I'm 58 and American...lol).  Sizing info shown is the S-M-L-XL info only.  No waist, no inseam.  So, given the info I got from their site, I assumed Large would probably work, and anything bigger would be way too big, especially in length.  Got the pant, and I couldn't get them past my thighs.  No, I'm not fat like that, for sure.  Had they given me waist/inseam info, I might have been able to order XL's if their inseam wasn't ridiculous.  But, without that info, this was the best I could do.

Their return policy seems fair enough....return the product unused, tags intact, and they provide free shipping and a refund.  So, I returned them.  They received the pant one week ago in the morning, per the tracking info.  The refund hasn't shown up in my account still.  They've confirmed they received the pant and the refund will be issued.  I've contacted them twice, and they've been saying refunds may take awhile.  I do find it kinda funny how quick they are to charge my account, but when the money is flowing the other direction, there's that delay that certainly wasn't there when they were taking my money.  An example of that:

Ordered the Fly carbon helmet early yesterday (05:30 MDT).  After pulling the trigger, I noticed I managed to somehow change the color of the helmet, and I'd be receiving a color I didn't want.  I checked my bank account, and the money was charged immediately.  I received an email about 15 minutes after the order with a ship notification.  Their online support chat doesn't open until 7am MDT, so I had to wait.  Pretty amazing they were able to "ship" the product by 05:45 MDT, when I'm pretty sure they're in California.  Got ahold of their customer chat at 7am, and they said they'd try to intercept the shipment.  Never heard back.  Tracking info said the label wasn't printed until 08:59, 2 hours after they said they'd ship.  The product didn't arrive at the Fed Ex facility until noon, so their email that it shipped was just bullshit.  Still haven't heard back from them.  The product is now in transit, so I get to go through the cycle of a return-wait for my refund-then find another helmet to buy.  Well, unless I want to drain my account of an additional $700 while I wait for my refund.

I get it's a business and they, like many businesses, are promising to do more with less resource.  We all know how that works....it usually ends in delays and disappointment.  I'll take it upon myself to be more diligent and cover for the empty promises that's so common nowadays.  RMATVMC touts a full website and info, but stock and service is marginal, at best.  Just sharing my info.  Your mileage may vary.

Edited by jtomasik
  • Like 1

That stinks, and I hope it gets worked out to your benefit

Seems to me that since the outbreak, many businesses have allowed their customer service to turn to shit and they all blame COVID… I call bullshit on that

covid doesn’t make your employees suck ass at their job… poor leadership, training and attitude make your employees suck

i have not had any problems with RM to date, aside from not having the item I want in stock because of… you guessed it… covid…

I guess everyone at the wheel/hub factory has decided that the free money is better than being a productive member of society

• Like 1

For many years, decades really, the RM service was top notch. Have had a number of issues in the recent past. Bought a Pro Circuit silencer for my '17 300XCW. Wouldn't fit. No way no how. The flare where it meets the pipe was not long enough to slip on. They gave me one heck of a run around. They wanted a picture of my bike's VIN, pics of the PC silencer, pics of the silencer that came off the bike, side by side with the PC. Gave me the run around for weeks. Shipping times have been horrible. Used to be same day shipped, now it is taking days for product to ship, creating problems if you are replacing parts for the coming weekends races. Their prices have been increasing as well, not in line with their competitors, have had to do many "price matches" to get a comparable price with other outfits.

• Like 1

Just as every other business right now, I guarantee they are down on staff by 35%.

The supply chains were broken and now also working at less than 100.

Expect this for a year still.

They will refund you, they have always been really good with that. They have made me really mad with stuff like that too. 

Usually they are very fast and accurate. 

• Like 9

Usually they are pretty great, ship real fast.  I'm in PA, and usually receive tires in a day with the over $75 free shipping! Over the last year they have done okay for me, mostly delayed ship times.  My biggest gripe with any online store is there inventory being wrong; saying they have it in stock when they don't.  Beyond that, just put a banner on the front page with estimated ship times.  I'm okay with it being a little longer, i'd just like to know about it.  

• Like 1

Nothing but good to say about them. I spend several thousand a year there, but I do have the advantage of being close to them in Utah and I normally will call my stuff. 
freight is crazy now regardless of what is being shipped or where...I’m told the cost and lead times have more than doubled. I am getting the same story from the guys at Warp 9, also in Utah. Takes weeks or months to get anything. 
One year ago my sons bought new bikes. (May of 20). We just got one of the short seats we ordered, still waiting for the 2nd. 
Times have really changed, thank China...

• Like 1

I have never had an issue with RM. I just returned an item about 2 weeks ago. As soon as they got confirmation from UPS my account was credited. I am currently returning an item that I did not order nor was I charged for. Somehow a carb jet made its way into my box. 

The only gear I have had issues with is Fly gloves. Their XXL gloves are too small. 

I have been emailing their customer service all week. They are usually pretty quick, (relative term) to respond by email.

• Like 1

I've had no problem with them either, but they're like almost every other site in regard to what one might call "adequate" sizing info. I've learned to not be so quick on the order button. I read the reviews, ask previous buyers questions, watch Youtube videos of actual buyers to get the finer details. 

• Like 2

It wasn't that long ago (when you are my age) that mail ordering was a hit or miss operation - usually miss.  I remember one time I ordered some SIDI TA boots and they sent the ones with the plastic/stiff soles which I did not order.  A month later a box arrived and they sent the same wrong boots again.  Third time they got it straight.  Or, the time I ordered McGrath handlebars and Dough Henry bars showed up.  I called the guy and he figured close counts in handlebars just like in horse shoes.  I've been buying from RM for years and they have been pretty close to perfect.  

• Like 1

You can go to manufactures websites and get waist and inseam numbers for the pants sizes. You could have figured it out in less time it took you to start this thread. 

Every place on the planet takes longer to refund than to charge. 

I’m not sure why you’d think a place called ROCKY MOUNTAIN would be in California, but they ship out of Utah and Kentucky, and yes, the shipped email is auto generated. 

Edited by 69fastback

5 hours ago, jtomasik said:

Took some time off of riding (went the boat/wakeboard route for about 6 years).  Got burned out on being the "boat guy", so got rid of it and got a "dual sport" about 3 months back.  Had to get new gear, and I started using RockyMountain ATV/MC (RMATVMC).  In theory, and per their videos, they seem like a great place for info about product.  But the practical application has been pretty much just a sales pitch.  Here's what I've ran into:

Information about sizing of gear is lacking.  They may give a reference point example, but the information is inadequate to make a decent determination what the size of the apparel means to me.  For example, I bought a pair (why do they call it that?) of dual sport riding pants (REVIT  Offtrack part number 1888910003).  Their video showed a "model" who is 6'-3 with a 32 inch waist wearing a medium pant.  I'm 5-10, with a 34 inch waist (hey, I'm 58 and American...lol).  Sizing info shown is the S-M-L-XL info only.  No waist, no inseam.  So, given the info I got from their site, I assumed Large would probably work, and anything bigger would be way too big, especially in length.  Got the pant, and I couldn't get them past my thighs.  No, I'm not fat like that, for sure.  Had they given me waist/inseam info, I might have been able to order XL's if their inseam wasn't ridiculous.  But, without that info, this was the best I could do.

Their return policy seems fair enough....return the product unused, tags intact, and they provide free shipping and a refund.  So, I returned them.  They received the pant one week ago in the morning, per the tracking info.  The refund hasn't shown up in my account still.  They've confirmed they received the pant and the refund will be issued.  I've contacted them twice, and they've been saying refunds may take awhile.  I do find it kinda funny how quick they are to charge my account, but when the money is flowing the other direction, there's that delay that certainly wasn't there when they were taking my money.  An example of that:

Ordered the Fly carbon helmet early yesterday (05:30 MDT).  After pulling the trigger, I noticed I managed to somehow change the color of the helmet, and I'd be receiving a color I didn't want.  I checked my bank account, and the money was charged immediately.  I received an email about 15 minutes after the order with a ship notification.  Their online support chat doesn't open until 7am MDT, so I had to wait.  Pretty amazing they were able to "ship" the product by 05:45 MDT, when I'm pretty sure they're in California.  Got ahold of their customer chat at 7am, and they said they'd try to intercept the shipment.  Never heard back.  Tracking info said the label wasn't printed until 08:59, 2 hours after they said they'd ship.  The product didn't arrive at the Fed Ex facility until noon, so their email that it shipped was just bullshit.  Still haven't heard back from them.  The product is now in transit, so I get to go through the cycle of a return-wait for my refund-then find another helmet to buy.  Well, unless I want to drain my account of an additional $700 while I wait for my refund.

I get it's a business and they, like many businesses, are promising to do more with less resource.  We all know how that works....it usually ends in delays and disappointment.  I'll take it upon myself to be more diligent and cover for the empty promises that's so common nowadays.  RMATVMC touts a full website and info, but stock and service is marginal, at best.  Just sharing my info.  Your mileage may vary.

somehow, size 34 is XL in America these days. Not sure how true XL guys clothe themselves. Omar the tent maker?

• Haha 2

The complaints about payment not refunding as fast as they charge really discredit this entire post. That's how the credit card payment system works, everywhere, authorizations are instant refunds take 3-5 business days. Stop using a debit card that's holding funds from your checking account for credit card payments and get a real credit card so it's not your problem.

I've been a RMATV customer for a lot of years, and average around $5k spend annually with them. In all of those transactions, I have had maybe one circumstance where they goofed, one where an item was left out of the box. Sometimes it took a little time to rectify, but they have always made things right. 

Just looked, $3027.75 YTD so far so looks like this may be a peak year for me. 

Like any business, they employ human beings and sometimes mistakes happen. 

• Like 2

People forget that many times, a refund is held by the bank/ card issuer for a while ( per their "policy" in the user agreement) so THEY have free use of your money for a while. The refunding business is usually not the one holding up a refund. 

Joe

• Like 2

Its not ethical to charge your card until an item has actually shipped. They are skirting that with the auto email that it shipped. Not 100% ethical, but these days pretty much everyone is doing it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 69fastback said:

You can go to manufactures websites and get waist and inseam numbers for the pants sizes. You could have figured it out in less time it took you to start this thread. 

Every place on the planet takes longer to refund than to charge. 

I’m not sure why you’d think a place called ROCKY MOUNTAIN would be in California, but they ship out of Utah and Kentucky, and yes, the shipped email is auto generated. 

Theoretically they can't charge your card until the order is "shipped."