Sticky: Jetting the 230F (Power-up Kit)

BIG HELP NEEDED!

Working on my needle jet I smashed the crap out of it! When doing a power-up Kit you don't need to put in a new needle jet (That info about 1 week ago would have avoided this whole situation ? ). IS THERE ANYONE WHO COULD SEND ME THEIR SPARE THAT CAME WITH THEIR NEEDLE?

i BEG OF YOU!!!!!!! :ride:

?action=view&current=0c8e0481.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

• 2 weeks later...

I went with what the mxoffroad.com website suggested and it seems my brothers bike is running way too lean.

On deceleration it pops and snaps and the idle is all over the place. In 3rd gear he lets go of the gas and the bike starts accelerating faster while coasting in 3rd. &%$#@! is wrong with this bike?

here are my settings

Main: 132 - Part # 99113-GHB-1320

Pilot: stock is 42

Needle: Honda Power-up kit part #16012-KPS-921 (clip in middle position)

I tried messing with the fuel screw, didnt help much. Who ever designed the carb or the whole bike in general is a &%$#@!. horrible design overall.

We ride in elevations from 2500-3500. What do i need to change? Pilot? needle jet?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All: I installed the power-up kit per the sticky this weekend:

CRF230

BBR D section pipe

Uni Air filter

Snorkel out

132 main

45 pilot

Power up needle from Honda

Sea level at 40 degrees

Air needle 1.75 turns out

Like some others reported, the bike starts with no help from the choke (and it's cold today). In fact, it won't start on even 1/2 choke. I had to ajust the idle screw way up to keep it running.

It got better as I adjusted the air mixture screw in. I stopped at 1/2 turn out. It looks like I need to put the 42 pilot back in.

The main jet is working good. It really screams at wide open and gives the plug a nice light tan color.

BBR does NOT recommend ANY pilot jet change for their pipe. I don't know how the rest of you got this combination to work?

Also: Their pipe is so loud that I am calling them today to see how I can quiet it down. It sounds like my XR400 with the baffle out. If I dampen the pipe down, I might have to lower the main jet also (or move the clip).

ZipTyracing.com won't sell me a mixture adjusting screw unless I send them a picture showing the location. This bike is very difficult to adjust when running unless you have robot hands. I tried every little screwdriver I could find.

If somebody could post the part number of the ZipTy screw that works in this bike, we could all use it? Here is a picture of it in action:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/mxa_thumper_fuel_screw.htm

I sorted on in this forum but didn't find it.

thanks gtracer do i call up my local dealer and buy it in a kit or is it just regular jets not spesified for this project?

There is no "kit" I don't understand why anyone ever called it the "Power-Up Kit". You can pick up these jets from your Honda dealer, and while your at it, get the part numbers so they don't accidentally order you the stock jets or something. Don't go to your dealer and ask them to order you a Power-Up Kit, you guys always used to ask us why your dealer has never heard of one....Because there is no Power-Up Kit!! Can you blame them.....

I took my carb out of the bike and completely dissembled it in the dining room table this weekend. I re-assembled with the Honda manual and used other web pictures. There seem to be some confusion in the manual between the pictures and the drawings. I highly recommend this method unless you are a mechanic--especially for the cocky in the list. I must have done something wrong the first time through. The carb is more complicated that the older ones I usually see.

I also soldered a small copper pipe onto the end of the fuel mixture screw so I could adjust easily when running. Saved $28 + shipping onthe Ziptyracing one.

The bike runs great now. I am getting some popping off throttle, so the 45 jet will probably go back in for the stock 42. Main is still 132.

Installed the sound cone caused lin the BBR D section and got some blowback in the front D section. I solved this with more copper RTV.

The mods turned the bike into a fire breather. I am really impressed.

Thanks a lot.

A follow up note: Nobody offered an explanation why BBR does NOT recommend a pilot jet change. I will answer my own question:

They are racers and don't care about idle.

I started the bike last night and let it idle about 5 minutes. The header glowed RED. That is pretty clear evidence the pilot jetting is lean. I couldn't see it in the daytime and the plug looked OK.

joe

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is for the 230 but I have an '03 150

150 feet above sea level

30-50 degrees

uni air filter

air box restrictor out

exhaust restrictor out

115 main

stock 40 jet

power up needle clip in middle position

Seems to be running fine but I just wanted to check with you all to see if you guys had some ideas. And where is the fuel and air screws?

the power up needle with the clip on the 4th position?

Would the 4th position be the top or bottom of the needle.

I was not sure when I did the installation on my 230 and decided to match the height position of the stock clip (2nd from the top) and the motor is cutting out.

Thanks for your help.

the power up needle with the clip on the 4th position?

Would the 4th position be the top or bottom of the needle.

I was not sure when I did the installation on my 230 and decided to match the height position of the stock clip (2nd from the top) and the motor is cutting out.

Thanks for your help.

4th DOWN from the TOP