What wire is this? 2021 Kawasaki KLX230R S

Hi there, this is my first bike and I'm having a blast learning about it. Took a spill this weekend and one of the wires going into the clutch housing was severed. Not sure what it does or what I need to order to replace it. I'm able to get the bike started with the electric starter (as long as I'm in neutral) and it seems to run fine, so I'm not sure what the impact is yet.  

Any ideas? I'm a DIY-er with my Wrangler - this is a new world though, so if I need to take it to the shop, I will. Just curious if its something I can easily fix. Thanks in advance! 

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

Update - I think I've pieced together that this is wiring for the clutch switch, or some sort of safety so that the electric start doesn't work unless clutch is engaged and/or the bike is in neutral. Now wondering if I can splice the wire or if there's a specific part I need to order. I'll do some reading in the owner's manual - still appreciate any feedback or advice! 

If it goes to the clutch, yes it is a safety switch. In order to start in gear, you have to have the clutch pulled in. You can still start in neutral if you dont fix it. I would just splice it with a butt connector, put it back in the black sleeve and electrical tape that shut. 

I prefer to have mine work as I am short, if I kill it on a hill about to tip over, I can start the bike with the clutch in, not having to find neutral. There are ways to bypass it, but again I prefer not to, if you did it could start in gear without the clutch pulled and lurch ahead.

It has zero effect on how your bike runs, just a safety for starting.

• Helpful 1