Another idiot buys an RV and hits the mountain backcountry

19 minutes ago, kxlubber said:

Hopefully they made it back to Texas safely 

One of your own. ?

"A Colorado man driving a 38-foot motor home is finally free after spending about a week marooned on Lime Creek Road,"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaveCR said:

One of your own. ?

"A Colorado man driving a 38-foot motor home is finally free after spending about a week marooned on Lime Creek Road,"

Probably from eastern CO which is alot like TX. ?

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, AngieRider said:

Jealousy is an ugly trait. You best ever dumped you for a successful TEXAN eh?

Texans are a walking, SxS driving joke around here.  They are a plague. ?

Edited by BOAB
  • Haha 1

Just now, SilvFx said:

Can we get so.e people to do this on all the key FSRs.   I can ride my motorcycle around it just fine....we need more of this

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dgodirt said:

Boab, your retired.  This would be the next step in life, right? Lol?

You will never see me with a motorhome. Smallish travel trailer maybe. When I camp I like to camp, not bring the house with me. ?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

hah, looked it up on COTREX.  $20 says Google maps told him to take Lime Creek Road and he turned on the northern entrance rather than southern entrance.

He might be a "Colorado man", but my money says he's a recent transplant from somewhere else.   I'll give him credit for sticking it out and being patient.  Didn't look that far off the road.   Seems like a couple of 4wheelers could have pulled him forward if he detached the trailer towing the car....but it's easy to gamble with other people's stuff.  Not sure why/how he had to wait a week to get it out.  Should have hitched a ride to cell phone reception and started calling tow places to see what they could do (maybe he did).  But staying with your equipment isnt going to do anything and wont keep it from magically falling down the side of the mountain.  I don't think anyone would steal it (where are they going to go?).  I don't count on newspapers to get the reporting right, but I am having trouble understanding why this took a WEEK to find someone to pull it forward onto stable ground.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 6/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, SilvFx said:

hah, looked it up on COTREX.  $20 says Google maps told him to take Lime Creek Road and he turned on the northern entrance rather than southern entrance.

He might be a "Colorado man", but my money says he's a recent transplant from somewhere else.   I'll give him credit for sticking it out and being patient.  Didn't look that far off the road.   Seems like a couple of 4wheelers could have pulled him forward if he detached the trailer towing the car....but it's easy to gamble with other people's stuff.  Not sure why/how he had to wait a week to get it out.  Should have hitched a ride to cell phone reception and started calling tow places to see what they could do (maybe he did).  But staying with your equipment isnt going to do anything and wont keep it from magically falling down the side of the mountain.  I don't think anyone would steal it (where are they going to go?).  I don't count on newspapers to get the reporting right, but I am having trouble understanding why this took a WEEK to find someone to pull it forward onto stable ground.

I'm wondering if he rolled out the awning and sparked up the grill and enjoyed the view.  Isn't it 14 days at any one campsite?

In all honesty he had to stay or some annoyed jackwagon would have shoved his rig off the edge while gone.

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, kcposty said:

I'm wondering if he rolled out the awning and sparked up the grill and enjoyed the view.  Isn't it 14 days at any one campsite?

In all honesty he had to stay or some annoyed jackwagon would have shoved his rig off the edge while gone.

Could be, but unless they were driving a bulldozer they might have a bit of trouble shoving it over the edge/side.  Could have left a note that he went to town to arrange towing (and maybe he did).  Im not sure I would want to be around to have to explain to everyone that came along Lime Creek Road that I was such a bumblef*ck I got it stuck.  Like I say, give him credit. -- he owned his mistake and stuck it out.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, SilvFx said:

Didn't read it? It said he called when he got stuck and apparently it got lost, thd tow truck driver was quoted as apologizing for it taking so long...

12 hours ago, RichieGoatGruff said:

Didn't read it? It said he called when he got stuck and apparently it got lost, thd tow truck driver was quoted as apologizing for it taking so long...

Yeah, i read it a couple times.  Not altogether clear as is typical of sloppy reporting  There was this quote within the linked article:  "The driver was apparently upset about miscommunication between the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office, the U.S. Forest Service and a previous tow operation, but “once I got there and talked to him like, ‘Hey sorry for the miscommunication but we’re here to get you out,’ he seemed most appreciative,” Barger said.

Barger was the tow operator who got him out after a week.  Not clear who/when and where was the "previous tow operation" or what/when arrangements the Colorado man made for the previous tow operation.  7 days is a long time to wait.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, on Ophir Pass (closed cuz of stupid delivery truck driver):

756047253_OphirPassDeliveryTruck.jpg.7655f839b1c5127c2ace3d1138b6d553.jpg

EDIT - apparently as of about an hour ago a tow was there, can't imagine how they are gonna resolve this...go up further and try to turn around, or take it back down.  Seems the latter would be best...if they can get an arm of some sort under it to lift the rear.

577192805_OphirPassTruck2.jpg.240c774185b8ae6cbda84d15737ba900.jpg

Edited by dmac1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1